End of Warley National Show - but now it's not the end of a show at the NEC.

Graham_Muz

• Administrators

My previous post was prepared in anticipation of this 'escaping' before official comment but the majority is still relevant.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, I'll say a simple well done and thank you to the members of the Warley club both past and present for bringing us so many successful shows. It truly was a monster to organize.

I hope it continues in some form or another at another venue.

Well done and enjoy the rest Warley MRC!

Edited by admiles
Spelling!
  • Like 4
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

Another sad loss to the hobby but with sound reasons and, it seems, transparency.  

At the end of the day Warley was just a club show after all.  But on a massive scale.  

I shall await developments as there is now a void into which something new may develop as the Warley club implies there will be a "son of ...... " event in some form somewhere.  

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I've always enjoyed my visits.

Thanks to all the organisers and volunteers from over the years. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of hours that goes into organising such a large show.

Enjoy the extra time, maybe take up a hobby. I can recommend railway modelling 😉 

Owen

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

An unfortunate but totally understandable decision none of us are getting any younger. Thanks for the memories and good luck to the club going forwards.

mark

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I never went to Warley, as I am in deepest darkest Kent.   But still a sad day for the hobby.

We owe a debt of gratitude to the members and trustees of WMRC for the Warley show, they have definitely done their bit for our hobby and no one can blame them for stepping back.

For me, the last paragraph of the announcement is very telling.   I attend 2-3 local exhibitions every year and I can count the number of "organisers" below 60 years old on one hand - I suspect this fate will befall more shows before too long and our hobby is not the only one suffering this way.

The next generation (I include myself, although I am nearly 60), have too many other things to worry about - meeting the cost of living challenge, buying/maintaining a house, young (or not so young) families, aging parents and in laws to care for, increasingly demanding jobs with no work life balance (including website moderators by the sounds of it!), and other volunteering commitments (often expected of you by your employer to meet their CSR goals).

All of which leaves little energy for hobbies and pastimes, other than binge watching box sets or social media immersion.

I guess 2024 can only get better?

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

It is an understandable decision, given an ageing membership and a lack of sufficient youth within the club environment then there comes a point where the risk becomes too high and the effort involved in putting on a show with such high expections becomes too great.

Like Wigan a year ago, the Warley team can retire from this show heads held high that every show was a good one.

There will be something smaller to replace it which is good, expectations can be managed and there are other shows in the calendar now like the new Model show in April and the big Stafford show that can pick up the mantle for big shows in the West Midlands.

Thank you to the Warley team for your shows, they have been enjoyable even if the journey there and back could be arduous.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Very sad to see Warley go. I have been going on and off for nearly 20 years, and taking my oldest son for the last two. Big trip from Glasgow/Paisley, but always worth it to me. Amazing that a single club could put on such a huge show. 

I do agree with the hobby aging and a worrying lack of younger members of groups. 15 years ago when I joined a local area group of a society I was by far the youngest member. Now, 15 years on and within shouting distance of 40 I still am. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you to the Warley team for many years of excellent shows personally having attended as an exhibitor, trade team member, and walk-in punter.

The biggest loss of course will be felt by non visiting foamers regarding back packs, soap marketing gurus and the well regarded car park team.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

Incredibly saddened by this announcement. Since the very first Warley it’s been a show I’ve attended without fail annually (barring Pandemic) with my Dad and was always a highlight in our diary. It wasn’t just about the modelling show but quality time with him sharing a hobby we both love. 

I’d hoped to take my small boy this year for his first one with us both but sadly that won’t now happen. 

Whilst this and the Hattons news are saddening for different reasons we shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that amongst this there is much to be positive around the hobby too. 

Greg 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hert this.  I was only at Warely once but really enjoyed it.

Best wishes to the club in whatever they decide to do.

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

We would ask that there isn't armchair speculation....

Good luck with that Andy 😀

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Warley was a superb show for me, great as a punter because with working ⅔ of weekends I don’t get to a lot of other shows so all in one place was fantastic. Great as an exhibitor too as it was well organised, fun to be there and be well looked after. I took five of my layouts over the years and helped on a load more and always had fun. 
I’ll be sad also because I bumped into friends I hadn’t seen for years, this year I bumped into someone I’d not met for thirty years! It also meant mates who now lived ‘up’ country could be met reliably each year for catch ups. Yes I’ll miss Warley for many many reasons. 
Thank you to the club members, Paul Jones for the personal touch over the years always coming round to say hello, Chris Morris for similar help with the expenses, and many more stewards, electrical testers etc and a lot of NEC staff who helped us with all those little requests that made it so easy. 
I only wish a final goodbye show like NGsouthwest had could have been the farewell but I totally understand the reasons :) 

Another that will be fondly remembered. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1