Hornby 2024 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

If you are expecting pages full of stuff not announced here, you will be disappointed.

I think he meant updates on 2022/23 items that were previously only photos of the real thing . 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Legend said:

I think Andy had used old pictures of Nellie Connie Polly and 25550 , or Hornby supplied them , but in the actual presentation these models are based on the later 0-4-0 pocket rocket tooling and are not the originals , which is a bit of a shame 

Who wants a Jinty with Rovex 70 splattered over the side? What’s that trainset with Early BR Jinty , probably like the original but maroon LMS coaches purporting to be separate 1st and 3rd coaches - I know it’s a trainset but that irks me and is not the attention to detail the original Rovex company would have had .

My initial thoughts on Locomotion were yay ! Then I remembered that was my thoughts on Rocket . I signed up for one on release it arrived months later went round the layout once and is now in the bookcase!  While I’m sure the movement on Locomotion will be intriguing almost inevitably it will turn into a £170 ornament ! So possibly not 

It was always going to be a difficult time as they move towards announcements throughout year of items closer to production  but I do think they needed to pull another loco tooling out of the hat to keep us happy . Definitely feeling deflated after that and coupled with the Hattons news , really not optimistic ! 

That's what the original had!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394599155668

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

Feels very much like a treading water announcement, and perhaps to be expected as they move to a new way of making product announcements.

Although the announcement of Polly etc sounds more like a very early April fool!

Also I had hoped we'd seen the last of the old GWR Collett coaches and that the moulds had been taken out and buried in an unmarked grave

Edited by rovex
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, adrianmc said:

Regarding the Tri-ang 0-4-0T, has there been some erroneous posting?

Nellie was the blue locomotive, Connie was the yellow one and Polly the red?

Erroneous information from Hornby rather than erroneous posting; the images and descriptions have now been updated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Personally it feels like this may actually be more realistic and achievable so I welcome this change of tack as opposed to a huge list of stuff we may not see for several years.

Some other welcome changes that I hope continue:

• Big name preserved locos like Black Prince and Mayflower produced as a priority
  • Era 1 locos and stock being split from train packs
  • Modern block train stock being sold in larger packs (TTA)
  • Strong emphasis on more affordable Railroad models. No one else fulfils this area of the market that exists to grow the hobby.
  • No blanket increases i.e. if these existing toolings were reintroduced in 2023 I wouldn't expect the prices to have been lower in the majority of cases.

In many ways I do think they are answering modellers requests.

Edited by E100
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Locomotion No1 pre-ordered from Kernow Models.  Just the sort of quirky model I like.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 2

Oh well…thought they might due Union of South Africa in its original Garter Blue as an easy win to complement the forthcoming Coronation carriages…guess I shall have to acquire then muster the courage to renumber Empire of India

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Early lunch?

The first shoal of Hornby Trout swam away before I had a fly out of the box, and I was restricted to obtaining a few s/h as they popped up. One of the best wagon models Hornby have ever offered: this time I am ready, and I'll use maggots for bait, all very unsporting I know.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

There seems to be far more interest in Hattons closing than Hornby's announcements.

For me the most interesting item is R30351 Hornby BR Class 9F 2-10-0 92203 'Black Prince' as the prototype ran on the Swanage Railway in 1997 that I am modelling. Modellers of other heritage railways may also be interested.  I am pleased to see it is not a limited run.

Edited by Robin Brasher
Inserted 'in 1997'
  • Like 4

Quite surprised at no LNER 'Swallow' class 91 + Mk4s, I'd have thought they would have gone down quite well.

Oh well, maybe later in the year? (Which would suit me actually, given the amount of TT:120 I've got on pre-order...)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Chris56057 said:

A complete absence of 31's,56's and 60's - perhaps they’re re-tooling them? 

Interesting I hadn’t clocked that . But remember Hornby only has limited production slots through the year , so it probably means they are just not making any . If there are any still in stock they may appear in the forthcoming catalogue . But it may also be a recognition that new models of these are being brought out by other manufacturers . Why go head to head when these production slots could be used for something giving a greater return 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Michanglais said:

Quite surprised at no LNER 'Swallow' class 91 + Mk4s, I'd have thought they would have gone down quite well.

Me too, also suprised a Colas Class 43 pack hasn't been produced, seems like an easy seller for modern image modellers.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Seems such a shame to me that Locomotion is producing so little enthusiasm. I still think it'll sell very well, but I'd have expected a bit more positivity around it.

It has certainly brightened my day up. Even if you don't model early railways, having an RTR model of one of the most important early locomotives is a wonderful thing to see.

My own reaction to Locomotion is the same as it was to Rocket and Lion. For me, the 1830s locos are just too small and fiddly in OO, and I wouldn't expect them to last well if exposed to regular use.

If somebody does them in O Gauge, it'll be a different matter.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Legend said:

But it may also be a recognition that new models of these are being brought out by other manufacturers .

BRM's interview with the new Head of Brand shows that there's an increased recognition that there's a wider marketplace and that Margate doesn't now live in an isolated bubble.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

BRM's interview with the new Head of Brand shows that there's an increased recognition that there's a wider marketplace and that Margate doesn't now live in an isolated bubble.

Looking forward to it . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Shame it took them so long to get there, but that is very good to know! 👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Locomotion isn't just a 3D print either - there are plenty of components already in tooling.

Locomotion Bts.JPG

The clear plastic box at the top is a prototype for the carrying cradle to protect those vulnerable waggly bits in storage/transit.

Any more photos of the 755?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Scottish-Exile said:

For pure nostalgia reasons, I may pick up 08 570 as a display case item. I was at Haymarket when we set about painting all our 08's in bespoke colours. Here's 570 getting it's inter city liver in 1988.

4.jpg.8655bd14466728ac0327f2ca477917db.jpg

6.jpg.f948b4d025c4c608224cbc81939abb25.jpg

Out of the Haymarket Class 08s I'd have preferred the Provincial one, we'd already had Intercity livery on 08673

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Was half expecting them to announce the 0-4-0 chassis with a decoder socket in it, would have been a good opportunity to tie it in with the 70th Anniversary tank engines.

Edited by Richy59
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2