Hornby 2024 range announcements

AY Mod

• Administrators
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

The issue with the catalogue is both its credibility

I've been ranting over the last couple of days when checking spec info...

The Class 50s proved to be incredibly powerful, indeed following the full electrification of the WCML and the introduction of more powerful DMUs in the late 1980’s they were almost pointlessly powerful, and they began to be withdrawn as their roles were handed to more efficient DMUs. 

In service, the Mark 2 coaches were commonly seen in the BR Blue and Grey livery and Network South East colours. The coaches were mainly hauled by larger express diesel and electric locomotives such as the Class 40, 47 and 86. As of 2022, the only Mark 2 coaches still in service are those that are part of the Network rail fleet.

The Mark 2 F sub categories had plastic internal panelling with new style seats. Visually they were similar to the Mark 3 coach although there were obvious differences between the two with the length being the most notable. The coaches also had heating and air conditioning as debuted on the Mark 3 prototypes.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've been ranting over the last couple of days when checking spec info...

The evidence is strong that Hornby have their own generative AI trained (sic) on previous Hornby catalogues and old copies of the local paper with the chip grease mostly steamed out.  They had to exclude BBC archives when the AI began to spew out pictures of Southern Region EMUs regardless of the prompt.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Flying Pig said:

The evidence is strong that Hornby have their own generative AI trained (sic) on previous Hornby catalogues and old copies of the local paper with the chip grease mostly steamed out.  They had to exclude BBC archives when the AI began to spew out pictures of Southern Region EMUs regardless of the prompt.

Seriously, the text does have an 'AI' vibe about it to me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Remember in the Locospotters' Annuals of the mid-60s,, they had an article where you had to spot all the (deliberate) errors in it.

Presumably inserted to make copyright infringement easier to spot.

We departed from Paddington behind a 2700hp diesel-electric Western. After passing Clapham Junction, the busiest on BR, we were soon slowing for our first stop at Reading. Gathering speed we headed along the Berks & Wilts line, by-passing Westbury and Frome on the cut-offs opened by the SR in the 1920s. After Newton Abbot, we passed that most scenic part of the route; the sea wall between Dawlish and Teignmouth. Just before Plymouth we crossed the Royal Albert Bridge and entered Cornwall.  Many of the old Cornish pasty mines could be seen on our right, as the line curved into our destination of Penzance.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

writing

You people are just being cruel!

Somewhere you've made a 6 year old who was very proud of their work cry!

Edited by PeterStiles
Tyop
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Adi said:

Interesting 

Screenshot_20240726_134613_com.facebook.katana_edit_75423473392655.jpg

Very. It was the only thing I really fancied from them in probably two or three years, if only for a probable light railway application. 

Rob

12 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I quite fancied Montana from Hornby 🫢

Hornby knew what it was doing when it took her on. She turned out to have a very good brain as well. The world is ill-divided.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

You will be pleased to read that I have now received a Hornby 2024 00 gauge catalogue because I ordered two TT:120 coaches from Hornby for over 

£50.

As I have already got a 2024 catalogue I told Hornby I did not want another one but Hornby said it was free with my order as I had spent over £50.

I don't know why people who are developing a TT:120 railway would want an 00 gauge catalogue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

You will be pleased to read that I have now received a Hornby 2024 00 gauge catalogue because I ordered two TT:120 coaches from Hornby for over 

£50.

As I have already got a 2024 catalogue I told Hornby I did not want another one but Hornby said it was free with my order as I had spent over £50.

I don't know why people who are developing a TT:120 railway would want an 00 gauge catalogue.

Yes but the important bit is you have it now which means it is one less on the Hornby pile. Some people collect them but I must admit it seemed a funny thing to give away, most people bought them when they had the deal just after Christmas which I assume is why you have one. To be honest they really should have a separate one for TT120, it is not as if you are going to put TT120 items on your OO gauge layout.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/01/2024 at 21:07, Halvarras said:

A poor-quality photo of 92203 'Black Prince' waiting to depart Oxford for Hereford (for a 6000 'King George V' special according to my notebook) on 19th May 1973. Ex-works Class 47 1752 was on the other end of the train, headcode 1Z80. Discovering it there was coincidental, I knew nothing about it until I arrived from the Didcot direction, got off the train and noticed the crowd at the far end of the platform.......

730519_s92203atOxford.JPG.20df45df369acc11cac25c6a84178716.JPG

A reminder that 92203 was main line registered 50 years ago. Not possible these days as Network Rail take a dim view of wheels without flanges!

There is nothing in the new announcements of particular interest, however I'd like to assess the Railroad Plus Class 47 D1683 which I see has now slipped back to September - also noted that the DC version is labelled as Era 4 and the newly-announced sound-fitted version as Era 6.........surely they should both be Era 5!

Until I perused the update list I was also unaware of two new versions of the R&H 88DS as 'GWR No 1' (Era 3 - R30014) and 'BR D2959' (Era 4 - R30017) - I'm intrigued..........no pics yet but due April (along with a mass of stuff, allegedly - we'll see). This fictitious livery lark is getting out of hand.......although I'm contemplating repainting a spare Sentinel 4wDM in BR Blue as 97021 so I'm in no position to criticize 🤪!

Although I regard my Tri-ang 'Nellie' as my first loco in 1966, it was actually preceded by a Hornby Dublo 3-rail A4 'Silver King' (with one coach, 10 wagons and an oval of track with middle return loop, something you could do with 3-rail) - however my nostalgia scale hasn't reached anywhere near £320, and as for the new 'Nellie'..........no, sorry, I don't think so!

both ruston 88ds now dropped by Hornby r30014 and r30017 notification from rails of sheffield today