Hornby 2024 range announcements

AY Mod

4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The first shoal of Hornby Trout swam away before I had a fly out of the box, and I was restricted to obtaining a few s/h as they popped up. One of the best wagon models Hornby have ever offered: this time I am ready, and I'll use maggots for bait, all very unsporting I know.

Indeed.  I only ever managed to bag one Hornby trout up until now, so this is a very welcome announcement, although it is the only 2024 catalogue item for me. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rovex said:

I wonder if they will be a sudden sell off of all those old Nellies, Connie's and Polly's as people rush to replace them with latest hi def new ones!

Looks like the new ones are just the current Racing Tank reliveried.

The pix of the old Nellie etc are just that; solid wheels and all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, James Makin said:

Well it'd be rude not to buy a GNER HST wouldn't it now!

They did occasionally venture off the ECML and Virgin XC were known to have 'borrowed' a set or two over time, which is how I'll be justifying the gorgeous train to occasionally run on my Didcot layout, flying through the Oxford line - and am very much looking forward to it arriving!

Virgin XC did indeed hire in GNER HST sets for Summer Saturday workings to and from Newquay. The first picture shows one set at Newquay in August 2004 with Chris Gibb, the XC MD on the left and the driver  entering the power car at the country end. Newquay was usually heaving when the train arrived for an early morning departure with a lot of youngsters sleeping on the station concourse.

The second shows the same set on the same day at Newton Abbot where we left it to pick up another train for Paignton.

A blow up of my original transparency shows that the power car is 'Scone Palace'

A useful addition to any post-privatisation layout located west of Bristol!!

Newquay August 2004.jpg

Newton Abbot August 2004.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
Name of power car added
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Tiny151 said:

Surprised and delighted to hear them mention compatibility with Accurascale couplings so directly. I've previously picked up a sense that Hornby's marketing and communications guide must read that anything of non-Hornby origin was to be ignored or at best alluded to as vaguely as possible. I suspect the Hornby of a few years ago would have been rushing out their own accompanying Chaldrons with the L&M couplings out of principle. This is a refreshing change.

Yes, to me that coupling compatibility is the most interesting aspect of this announcement.

• Agree 2

Seems to lack the shock and awe of more recent years.  The locomotion is nice, but I wonder how durable it will be.  Railroad HAAs are a good shout shame they didn't do them in a 3 pack for say 50 quid.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, spamcan61 said:

Yes, to me that coupling compatibility is the most interesting aspect of this announcement.

Whilst there doesn't appear to be much happening, what movement there is seems to be in the right direction.

Hornby won't be seeing much spend from me on this showing, but maybe later in the year.....

John

• Like 2

I fully appreciate that this year's announcement isn't like the "big bang" of previous years, as they are catching up on previous announcements which have been delayed for one reason or amother (including Flying Scotsman from 2021/2022).  My thanks to @AY Mod for including the list of updates as I have a couple of items on that list.

There were a couple of items for me this year, including the KFA wagon.  It would have been nice to have seen an empty wagon included as in previous years, so that I could add my own from a container pack (I have containers in need of a wagon), but let's see what comes later in the year.

I also noticed that there doesn't appear to be a Collector Club locomotive this year.  I am wondering if it may be announced later in the year, or if the focus is in the 70th anniversary locos?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 1E BoY said:

Virgin XC did indeed hire in GNER HST sets for Summer Saturday workings to and from Newquay. The first picture shows one set at Newquay in August 2004 with Chris Gibb, the XC MD on the left with the driver  entering the power car at the country end. Newquay was usually heaving when the train arrived for an early morning departure with a lot of youngsters sleeping on the station concourse.

The second shows the same set on the same day at Newton Abbot where we left it to pick up another train for Paignton.

A blow up of my original transparency shows that the power car is 'Scone Palace'

A useful addition to any post-privatisation layout located west of Bristol!!

Newquay August 2004.jpg

Newton Abbot August 2004.jpg

Ny home town of Newton Abbot! One of the Railway towns in England! Amazing photos of GNER HSTs! 

• Like 1

The whole thing just seemed so.. underwhelming. It lacked the ‘pizzazz’ of past announcements. There didn’t seem any enthusiasm from the guy presenting and just read the descriptions word for word was off putting. Maybe i’m just used to SK’s delivery but still. 
and is it me or has every year for the past few years been ‘catch up year’? 
Another thing, with the mid year announcements will stop me buying the catalogues now, same with Bachmann. Whats the point in spending a tenner on a catalogue in January of by April its out of date. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Sweetling Park said:

I also noticed that there doesn't appear to be a Collector Club locomotive this year.  I am wondering if it may be announced later in the year, or if the focus is in the 70th anniversary locos?

This did come up on the Q&A on YouTube this afternoon. They're not announcing a model now but the guys made it sound like there could be a separate Collector Club announcement later on in the year.

From 19m 25s in, if you're interested.

Edited by MrTea
Added YT embed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dan Griffin said:

Another thing, with the mid year announcements will stop me buying the catalogues now

Perhaps with this year, issue 70 and all that, its the end of an era.

Just one more catalogue, for old times sake, eh?

As for the Engine Shed stream/video, the sound quality was poor and I gave up early on when the bloke on the right waved "Locomotion" about and said something about "the bits on top", though it was interesting to watch the engineering prototype running.

Edited by Hroth
Too many "u"s
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well I've had a good look through but still can't find the usual hidden tributes to a rock band, apart from the Beatles vans. 

The Nellie tributes are a bit odd, what ever happened to the new body that was on the most recent TV series? Or getting another Junior designer to do one that actually looked like the old Nellie? The chosen one looks to have origins as the 0-4-0 Thomas. 

• Like 1

image.png.df724f7529256e7aaa1a97c3bbc80bcc.png

I do appreciate that they're recreating the Tri-ang R2 set but I was slightly disappointed when they showed the coaches instead of goods. R3 would have made a fine compliment to the Princess set from a couple years ago!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrTea said:

This did come up on the Q&A on YouTube this afternoon. They're not announcing a model now but the guys made it sound like there could be a separate Collector Club announcement later on in the year.

From 19m 25s in, if you're interested.

Thank you @MrTea, that is most helpful as I haven't seen the video yet.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm delighted that Hornby's announcing a model of Locomotion in time for next year's 200th Stockton & Darlington's anniversary.. Hornby's seeing a niche for early railways

However I'm surprised they haven't announced any appropriate Skaledale 1830s structures to accompany Rocket and Lion.

PS The First Great Western local lines 153 will fly off the shelves in no time!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, gc4946 said:

However I'm surprised they haven't announced any appropriate Skaledale 1830s structures to accompany Rocket and Lion.

To be fair, if you want buildings to actually match the Hornby Rocket and Lion there are plenty of 1930s buildings available already 😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I was not expecting to be excited about anything in the Hornby announcement, but the model of Locomotion has done it for me. The text on Hornby's website is a little ambiguous as to whether it will have a speaker built in but hopefully it will. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kris said:

I was not expecting to be excited about anything in the Hornby announcement, but the model of Locomotion has done it for me. The text on Hornby's website is a little ambiguous as to whether it will have a speaker built in but hopefully it will. 

They mentioned that in the Q&A video. I think they said they were looking to put it in the tender?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, InterCity80s said:

They mentioned that in the Q&A video. I think they said they were looking to put it in the tender?

Very interesting. Really not a lot of space in that tender, even less so than the one on Rocket, so it'll be fascinating to see how they pull that one off.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Pity no green 0-4-0 no 27 in the Margate 70s models. Part of my first trainset as a 3 year old, Christmas 1970. I also had, but later sold, Nellie, Polly and Connie. No 27 is still running, though now with Scale link wheels, Zimo decoder and stay alive.

Locomotion on order, as I've previously lived and worked in both Stockton and Darlington, travelling partly along the route of the original line.

• Like 2