Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The Quirky Poll 2023

• RMweb Gold

Results – The Quirky Poll 2023

Hello everyone

Very many thanks to all who took part this year.

The Quirky Poll Team would also like to extend a very warm thank you to Andy York who prepares all the ‘computerised aspects’ of The Poll. Although The Quirky Poll is ‘hosted’ by RMweb, it has no influence on it and Andy works in his own time (no doubt ably hindered on the way by Phil Parker!).

As noted, we were going to list the Port of Par locos this year, but they were announced by Rapido.  Fortunately, we were able to replace them with another item just in time.

The results are consistent with previous years…have you picked yet more winners? Time will tell.

OK…thanks again to all who voted and have made some great suggestions for 2025. We intend to run The 00 Wishlist Poll at the end of 2024 and The Quirky Poll in 2025, alternating year on year.

A Happy New Year to you all!

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

Results - The Quirky Poll 2023.pdf

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich

I'm expressing 'my own opinion' here but would love to see Ivor etc made into model form.

There seems so much potential with 'smoky mountains', dragons, choirs, quirky signal boxes and a myriad of other items that might make 'a range' particularly with modern sound systems and 'animatronics'.

I wonder if there are problems with 'rights'? There was talk of a film in recent years, but that seems to have disappeared off the radar.

Brian

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

I'm expressing 'my own opinion' here but would love to see Ivor etc made into model form.

There seems so much potential with 'smoky mountains', dragons, choirs, quirky signal boxes and a myriad of other items that might make 'a range' particularly with modern sound systems and 'animatronics'.

I wonder if there are problems with 'rights'? There was talk of a film in recent years, but that seems to have disappeared off the radar.

It would certainly need the agreement of the owners of the intellectual property in Ivor. I don't think that would be likely to be a significant issue - there's already been computer game based on Ivor as well as a full size "Ivor" used on heritage railways, so the rightsholders clearly aren't averse to it being used.

I suspect the main issue for the model manufacturers is the question of where it would fit in their range. Ivor doesn't have the mass appeal of Thomas, and the loco is entirely fictitious so any model of it would be standalone - unlike the Titfield Tunderbolt, for example (or even Thomas for that matter) it's not just a fictional version of a real prototype. I suppose Hornby could do an Ivor and then use the mould for yet more of their fictitious liviered Railroad train packs (Ivor hauling a Christmas train, maybe), but it's hard to see it working for any other manufacturer. Although, on the other hand, Ivor would be a relatively simple design, given that the "prototype" is a hand drawn cartoon and wouldn't engage the rivet counters of this world. So there wouldn't need to be a huge amount of research involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Thanks Rich

Brian

Try a layout called Raven's Ravine. It might just be up your street!

https://vimeo.com/857940847

Jason

2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

No  appeal of IVOR? Oh dear!  We had the real Ivor at Blaenavon some years ago, and it was highly popular. Dress in character?  Hey, I always dress like this!

The point is that the appeal of Ivor is mostly to people like us, who can remember the series being on TV. Unlike Thomas, it hasn't been revived, re-revived and reimagined for a new audience. So there's little to no mass market recognition, outside the trainspotter community and people who were kids in the 60s and 70s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

The point is that the appeal of Ivor is mostly to people like us, who can remember the series being on TV. Unlike Thomas, it hasn't been revived, re-revived and reimagined for a new audience. So there's little to no mass market recognition, outside the trainspotter community and people who were kids in the 60s and 70s.

Shown on TV constantly ever since though. You probably aren't looking at the right channels!

BBC repeated it through out the 1980s and '90s. ISTR that Channel Four were showing it at one point on Sunday mornings along with other classics such as Bagpuss and Roobarb and Custard. Then it was on one of the Kids channels such as Nickelodeon.

And if you are into streaming services then it's freely available.

https://www.britbox.co.uk/programme/Ivor_the_Engine_61043

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

There's a commercially-available simple kit of Ivor in 16mm scale which is officially licensed, according to the company which produces it:

https://www.rail-roadmodels.co.uk/product-page/ivor-the-engine

If you are interested in the search for missing episodes of black and white TV shows, this Ivor-related page might be worth a look:

https://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/14119/ivor-engine

The Ivor stories were set in North West Wales, though some of them had a bit more of a South Wales feel to me. But I'd be delighted to hear from anybody who has a model of Grumbly Town or another part of the Merioneth and Llantisilly Railway that they would be willing to exhibit at the Bala Model Show (which is, of course, in Meirionnydd) in 2024! Or, indeed, any Welsh-set standard gauge exhibition layout, because I'm getting the distinct impression that there are remarkably few of them on the exhibition circuit at the moment... 

Best Wishes,

Mat P. (Bala Lake Railway Society Secretary and Bala Model Show Organiser) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MatP said:

The Ivor stories were set in North West Wales, though some of them had a bit more of a South Wales feel to me. But I'd be delighted to hear from anybody who has a model of Grumbly Town or another part of the Merioneth and Llantisilly Railway that they would be willing to exhibit at the Bala Model Show (which is, of course, in Meirionnydd) in 2024! Or, indeed, any Welsh-set standard gauge exhibition layout, because I'm getting the distinct impression that there are remarkably few of them on the exhibition circuit at the moment... 

Well, of course, as eny fule kno, all the railways in Wales were miniaturised 😉

That's part of the problem with Ivor, though. Visually, it looks like a narrow gauge loco (and the model you refer to is designed for narrow gauge garden railways). But, in-universe, Ivor is standard gauge (the Merioneth and Llantisilly Railway has a junction with the main line at Tewyn). So being faithful to the fictional canon would require a standard gauge (or, at least OO) model, but I suspect that might just look a bit too odd. Visually, it would probably work better reimagined as a narrow gauge loco, allowing it to be modelled in OO9. But that also restricts the number of potential manufacturers.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

17 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Well, of course, as eny fule kno, all the railways in Wales were miniaturised 😉

That's part of the problem with Ivor, though. Visually, it looks like a narrow gauge loco (and the model you refer to is designed for narrow gauge garden railways). But, in-universe, Ivor is standard gauge (the Merioneth and Llantisilly Railway has a junction with the main line at Tewyn). So being faithful to the fictional canon would require a standard gauge (or, at least OO) model, but I suspect that might just look a bit too odd. Visually, it would probably work better reimagined as a narrow gauge loco, allowing it to be modelled in OO9. But that also restricts the number of potential manufacturers.

I dunno. @RedgateModels has a very nice O gauge Ivor.

BS_jan2024_3.jpg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MatP said:

Hi,

There's a commercially-available simple kit of Ivor in 16mm scale which is officially licensed, according to the company which produces it:

https://www.rail-roadmodels.co.uk/product-page/ivor-the-engine

If you are interested in the search for missing episodes of black and white TV shows, this Ivor-related page might be worth a look:

https://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/14119/ivor-engine

Best Wishes,

Mat P. (Bala Lake Railway Society Secretary and Bala Model Show Organiser) 

Hi,

There is a serious model of the Cambrian Railways called LlawryGlyn by I think Richard LLoydall.  It appeared at an ExpoEM South.  Serious as it was it also had a model of Ivor, plus a cattle wagon that had smoke coming from it, which, of course contained a dragon.  It is a beautiful little layout.

1.jpg.1626070a82734a5e66916b9b14ad9ec7.jpg

Unfortunately I did not take any picture of Ivor.

Just found this link as well.  Third wagon along is from Grumbly Gas Works.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Once again, you have picked a winner!

Hornby has just announced Locomotion.

The loco was High Polling in 2020, 2021 and 2023 (the poll didn't run in 2022).

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/01/2024 at 11:41, BMacdermott said:

I wonder if there are problems with 'rights'?

Problem, what problem? 

image.png.3118f71ea8ff1a5b5c0b175682abcaec.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Edwardian

When I said "Ivor etc", I meant Ivor and directly associated people, rolling stock and general scenery.

I hope that clarifies the point.

Brian

Thanks, Brian. No clarification required. I was just musing on the fact that at least one manufacturer has been known 'to boldly go' forward regardless of whether someone's else IP is being used without authority!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• AY Mod unpinned this topic