The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Well his interviews and demeanour at the end of the race suggests the gig is up for the Honey Badger, he is 35 so an oldie and without a title then he has to give way to youth.

Interesting Verstappen has intimated he has no desire to keep racing if it's stifling and I don't blame him, there are plenty of other high adrenaline motor sports he can have fun with.  And if all else fails, he's rich enough just to play e-sports and MineCraft for the rest of his days.

F1 needs him more than he needs F1, I imagine Hamilton, Norris and Piastri would rather be battling him than not as it would make their own achievements that little more sweet if they've beaten Verstappen.

Call me crazy but I had a feeling that it would turn out like this for Danny Ric as soon it was announced he was joining AT and especially after the middling rest of the season he had that year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well, I do hope Max follows through on his threat to quit F1 if he's penalised for swearing (after being specifically told not to swear, then doing so deliberately, then claiming it's because English is not his first language, then going all sulky after being further told off).

I, for one, won't miss him at all. He's petulant, childish, arrogant, a fast driver but a poor racer, has been allowed to get away with too many on-track incidents that other drivers would have received severe punishment for, and has the biggest sense of entitlement I've seen in F1.

My only hope is that he doesn't go to the WEC, as he would probably ruin that too. He can toddle off to sim racing full time, as that's something I don't follow - never have, never will.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that the morality of the FIA's attempt to clean up radio messages is not in doubt - very young people simply do not deserve to hear iconic figures using the full panoply of Anglo-Saxon, and many adults will be similarly unimpressed. I do not say that from some moral high-ground, since as you can imagine, having spent some of my early 20s as a Controller for a suburban railway, there were many frustrating occasions at work when I used all the expletives known to man. But broadcast media has tried to limit adult language during peak family-viewing times, and this should be no different. 

Max rails against anything that doesn't suit him. That will be his downfall at some stage. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I have to say that the morality of the FIA's attempt to clean up radio messages is not in doubt - very young people simply do not deserve to hear iconic figures using the full panoply of Anglo-Saxon, and many adults will be similarly unimpressed. I do not say that from some moral high-ground, since as you can imagine, having spent some of my early 20s as a Controller for a suburban railway, there were many frustrating occasions at work when I used all the expletives known to man. . 

Sorry - couldn't resist...

swear.jpg.f0c83e95cee86a5c115e144304735855.jpg

• Like 7
  • Funny 6

16 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I get the feeling Perez has something very damning on Horner or Red Bull & he is being kept at the team to buy his silence.

Lets indulge in a bit of hypothetical story telling with some fictional characters, any similarity to people living or dead is purely co-incedental🤭:

Before the F1 summer break, in a motor home deep in the Ardenne Forest, 3 men meet for a chat:

Christopher Horny; "So Sergez it is not really working with you in the car, we need you to be closer to your team mate Mark Chrastappen so are going to replace you with our exciting youngster Lee Lawsuit"

Sergez Checkout: "Ah no, that is shame, I love working with you Herman and Christopher. Are you sure you want to lose all the money I bring to the team from my wealthy sponsors?"

Herman Markup: "Money is no concern, our backers want to promote Lee and we can get money elsewhere"

Sergez Checkout: "Oh I wasn't expecting that, I thought my money would protect me"

Herman Markup: "Sorry chap, need a different card to play"

Christopher Horny: "Yep and don't worry about bringing up my Whatsapps with "Tinkerbell" that is all out in the open"

Sergez Checkout: "Oh you have got me there. Oh well, I best ring my manager and get him to make some calls"

Herman Markup: "Good lad, there are a few vacancies for 2025 and who knows you may get a reserve shot this year in one of the other teams?"

Sergez Checkout: "Not sure why you are saying that, I will be driving for you for the rest of the season"

Christopher Horny: "Eh? I am sorry Sergez if I am not clear but I have just told you that you won't be driving for us, Lee is taking your slot"

Herman Markup: "I know it is hard to take but this is the decision"

Sergez Checkout: "Argh.. You aren't getting this.. Let me call my Manager"

Sergez leaves the room. 5 mins later he comes back in with his phone and manager on the line

Manager: "Hi Christopher/Herman. So Sergez says you want to let him go"

Herman Markup: "Yep, we don't need the cash and the world knows about Tinkerbell. So you have no chips to bargain with anymore"

Manager: "Except one"

Christopher Horny: "Erm, and whats that"

Manager: "So in 5 minutes Sergez will be calling a friend of mine in the FIA to ask to share how at the start of the season your car was really good going round corners very quickly due to some funny tricks in the brake system which is expressly against the FIA regulations. He will also share how you both knew it was illegal and against the regulations which will undoubtedly put your early season wins at risk and open up the championships to Papaya F1 and their driver Landy Nourish.

Christopher Horny: Oh I see....

Herman Markup: "Christopher and I need a chat"

Manger: "You have 4minutes and 45 seconds"

4 mins later, the pair come back and speak with Sergez and the Manager

Christopher: "I have always been an admirer of Sergez and we are delighted to confirm his seat is safe until the day after the FIA prize giving after which point the championship cannot be taken away from us.

Herman: "Yep delighted"

Sergez: "Excellent news"

Edited by 37114
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 7

4 hours ago, 37114 said:

Lets indulge in a bit of hypothetical story telling with some fictional characters, any similarity to people living or dead is purely co-incidental🤭:

I was thinking beyond that. Maybe there is something which has not come to light at & has not done so because Perez is still there?

My reasoning:

Piquet did not reveal the truth about crashing at Singapore in '08 until he lost his seat, which was almost a year later (& I will never believe Alonso knew nothing of it either. Even back then, he was willing to arguing with the team about strategy & would not have just pitted at such a terrible time).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’m still trying to work out why DR left redbull initially 

Didn't like being No 2 to Max, and has painfully been No 2 to everyone since. YES he should have stayed, picked up wins, podiums and lots of trophy's for his book shelf, and would still be better that Perez. 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I did see something somewhere about George Russell talking to Red Bull for 26. I may have been mis information, not sure. Max will be moved on or retired by Jan 26.

By the 26th January?  Why can't it be sooner?🤔

🤪🤪🤪

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Red Bull will have the racing technology & strategy of a Scalextric set at this rate!  😂

Just now, Andrew P said:

It will reduce their sandwich bill.

Whinger Horner was brushing all the staff losses under the carpet when his mate DC was interviewing him on the Ch4 highlights prog last Sunday!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Hroth said:

Whinger Horner was brushing all the staff losses under the carpet when his mate DC was interviewing him on the Ch4 highlights prog last Sunday!

Yes, said he had POACHED 200 from Merc.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Max wanting to leave of course having nothing to do with his lack of pace lately.

While everyone loves Vettel now he was similarly only able to do quick laps and not actually able to race - spinning top routine in Canada in the wet? Once outside of a Newey machine he proved to be pretty average and I wonder if Max fears the same fate devaluing his own legacy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, SR71 said:

Max wanting to leave of course having nothing to do with his lack of pace lately.

While everyone loves Vettel now he was similarly only able to do quick laps and not actually able to race - spinning top routine in Canada in the wet? Once outside of a Newey machine he proved to be pretty average and I wonder if Max fears the same fate devaluing his own legacy.

I have said this for a while: his career has followed Vettel's very closely.

Both started in Red Bull's second team & looked very promising. Vettel even won a race for Toro Rosso.

Both were promoted to the first team where they got preferential treatment. Vettel did not get in instantly. 'Multi 21' & the collision with Webber in Turkey showed what can happen when you don't have a clear no1, so Horner has avoided doing that again.

Both won 4 consecutive titles while the car was great. Vettel jumped ship soon afterwards & won no more titles. Now it looks like Verstappen may also jump ship but will he win any more?

5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I’m still trying to work out why DR left redbull initially 

Every driver would love the chance to be world champion. Red Bull had indicated that Verstappen would be their no1, even though he felt their ability was equal, so his chances of being a WDC if he stayed there depended on Verstappen suffering a major injury like Schumacher's broken leg in 1999.

If he moved, he could be a no1 & may have found a team who built the next winning car.

For somebody who felt capable of winning a title, it was the only choice possible.

(Red Bull's dominance was never a certainty either. After Ferrari switched focus in 2019 to the 'new' car expected in 2021 (which was postponed to 2022), leaving Merc & Red Bull batting each other, Ferrari should have dominated from 2022).

• Like 3

As reflected in his driving style (from the start of his career to the present), Max has never shown patience for the long game.  There have been times when other drivers would let a race (or a season) come to them, but Max has always tried to take the bull by the horns (pun unintended) which has often been his undoing.

• Agree 3