The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

The worst thing about Horner isn't the moaning, the whinging, the whining or the complaining - it's the blatant hypocrisy. Can't stand him or his face-like-a-smacked-bum star driver. I always make sure to record the C4 coverage just so I can fast-forward past any interviews with either of that pair.

My real worry now is that soon I may have to stop supporting Aston Martin, if Max jumps across to them.

• Agree 7

2 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Makes you wonder what Colapinto could have done instead of the 1.5 seasons that Logan got.

And he NEEDS a drive for next year. RBR anyone? OR even replacing Danny Ric maybe?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Yes, and then they had strong words with Verstappen for overtaking under the safety car. All he actually did was catch up to Norris to offer his congratulations, as drivers always do when the race has ended. I know technically they were still under safety car conditions, but these are the best drivers in the world, the race had finished, they were all driving quite slowly, and they'd been past the scene of the accident twice so knew exactly where on the circuit it was. For goodness' sake, stewards, exercise some judgement!

As much as I dislike Verstappen, warning him for this 'transgression' is a complete mockery.

On the same note, the McLaren team were fined for allowing personnel in the pitlane without wearing the mandatory safety helmets once the race had ended, because they were still technically under the safety car procedure. Another joke at the expense of the teams and fans!

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Yes, and then they had strong words with Verstappen for overtaking under the safety car. All he actually did was catch up to Norris to offer his congratulations, as drivers always do when the race has ended. I know technically they were still under safety car conditions, but these are the best drivers in the world, the race had finished, they were all driving quite slowly, and they'd been past the scene of the accident twice so knew exactly where on the circuit it was. For goodness' sake, stewards, exercise some judgement!

As much as I dislike Verstappen, warning him for this 'transgression' is a complete mockery.

On the same note, the McLaren team were fined for allowing personnel in the pitlane without wearing the mandatory safety helmets once the race had ended, because they were still technically under the safety car procedure. Another joke at the expense of the teams and fans!

Then there's the question of why wasn't the Sainz/Perez immediately a VSC.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, newbryford said:

Arianna (C4) did a facetime interview with him and he was complaining about Norris holding up Checo.

Seems to have forgotten Abu Dhabi in 2021 with Checo/Hammy.....

I saw the interview. He simply stated that Checo was held up first by Albon then Norris.

It did not seem intended as a complaint & he never claimed it was unfair, unsporting or dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I saw the interview. He simply stated that Checo was held up first by Albon then Norris.

It did not seem intended as a complaint & he never claimed it was unfair, unsporting or dangerous.

Maybe not complaining then, but "Christian is not happy, he was noticeably annoyed" quoting C4

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

They may well have known where the incident was but they would not know the location of any recovery vehicles or workers. 

If you need context for why that rule exists, try googling Tom Pryce Kyalami 1977.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

A valid point, likewise Bianchi's (ultimately) fatal accident in Japan, or Brundle's accident there in '94 when his car struck and injured a marshal, but the main difference between those and Max's punishment is that in Max's case, the race was over and the cars were circulating slowly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All very good points. I can fully understand the extra restrictions on overtaking and pit lane protocol in a degraded situation. 

Seems at odds though with allowing pit crew to be climbing the fence etc to celebrate a winning driver screaming past at 200mph in normal circumstances. Maybe they will clamp down on that too?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, newbryford said:

Maybe not complaining then, but "Christian is not happy, he was noticeably annoyed" quoting C4

When you are used to winning, it hard to accept struggling to compete. Red Bull have gone from having a huge advantage to a deficit in a very short space of time. That must make it even harder.

Has anyone else noticed that now McLaren are doing well, the media seems to be shifting away from Horner v Wolff to Horner v Zak Brown? Who knows, it may be Brown v Vasseur before long if Ferrari can start winning more regularly. They need to create some sort of rivalry to sell their stories.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

All very good points. I can fully understand the extra restrictions on overtaking and pit lane protocol in a degraded situation. 

Seems at odds though with allowing pit crew to be climbing the fence etc to celebrate a winning driver screaming past at 200mph in normal circumstances. Maybe they will clamp down on that too?

I believe a rule was introduced earlier this year to prevent pit crews hanging over the pit wall at the end of the race.  Not sure it's being policed though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/09/2024 at 12:49, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Perhaps he was too busy trying to decide who should replace Perez for the rest of this season.

There was a comment on C4 about how Perez was good on circuits like Baku and Singapore, and speculation that a decision may be taken after those.

Admittedly he was good at Baku and I'm still undecided about the crash with Sainz.

• Agree 4

On 17/09/2024 at 19:23, didcot said:

I believe a rule was introduced earlier this year to prevent pit crews hanging over the pit wall at the end of the race.  Not sure it's being policed though.

One of F1s problems is that they introduce rules then only apply them when there is an issue then ignore them when there is not.
I have said many times that any rule which "should be ignored because it is silly" should not exist in the first place, it should be removed or re-written. The rules can then be applied rigidly & fairly. Any team/driver who learns them will know what they can & cannot do. Most teams should a rules geek/guru & if they don't, it is their problem.

11 hours ago, newbryford said:

There was a comment on C4 about how Perez was good on circuits like Baku and Singapore, and speculation that a decision may be taken after those.

Admittedly he was good at Baku and I'm still undecided about the crash with Sainz.

When I first saw it, my thought was "Sainz, that was reckless". When watching the replays, I saw some other things:

Both were driving straight. It was the contact which pulled Sainz across.

Perez was behind. I have always maintained that the driver in front should be entitled to take the racing line. The one behind needs to find their way around. Even when you take into account the "leave a car's width" rule, Sainz was on the right of the track & Perez was challenging on the left. He did not make a sudden move, so I can't fault Sainz.

So did Perez do anything wrong? He was following the road markings.

Did anyone notice road markings further up the track? They were a lot closer to the barrier. The barrier & the white line were not parallel with each other. If Sainz had followed the while line, he would have crashed into the barrier.

It looked like Perez was following the road markings & Sainz was following the barrier. Because these got closer together, the cars did too. I agree with the stewards by not finding either primarily at fault.

• Like 5

They were also both trying to stay in the slipstream of Charles. 

Sainz was completely dumbfounded afterwards. He didn't understand what had happened, like you said he was following the racing line.

For me, Perez had a better view of what wad happening. He had more space to play with to his left. He didn't have to be so close but he was chasing the slipstream.

That said, it's a racing incident I think.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

QUESTION? = This year and the  end of last year to some  extent, we have seen some of the best racing ever in F1, 7 different winners so far this year alone. So why do they want to mess about with the rules AGAIN that could swing things back the other way as it was in the Schumacher, Vettle, Hamilton and early Verstappen seasons?

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Yeah, they need to leave things well alone because next year looks like it’s going to be brilliant.

Like I said previously, it's a shame that Red Bull didn't fall back sooner. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

QUESTION? = This year and the  end of last year to some  extent, we have seen some of the best racing ever in F1, 7 different winners so far this year alone. So why do they want to mess about with the rules AGAIN that could swing things back the other way as it was in the Schumacher, Vettle, Hamilton and early Verstappen seasons?

The longer the rules remain the same the more teams converge on to the same solution to making a fast car. Also a car designed to different rules will suit different drivers. Changing the rules keeps things shaken up.

Of course some rules do produce fundamentally better racing than others too, so when things seem to be going well there's definitely a strong argument for being conservative about change.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1