The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Premium

I think Lando is discovering that having the fastest car is not as easy as it looks…

This is based off of a comment Lando made a while ago (and subsequently took back) was that it was easy for Lewis to win so much because he had the fastest car.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveM666 said:

I would even suggest that on current form McLaren should be using Norris to support Piastri's tilt at this year's championship.

Piastri is about 90 points behind Verstappen and is currently outscoring him substantially more than Norris. 

Only because Norris was told to give up a win and 8 points. Norris has a chance of getting the Drivers title but Piastri is too far back. Considering g where he started gaining three points on Max was a damn good result.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Interesting race. Just watched the highlights and expect a penalty for Checko. If not from the stewards then from Red Bull. I think that could be him done.

No podium, no points, damaged car, and cost Max a point for fastest lap. Not that I'm convinced he could have set it Christian Horner probably was.

...Commentary just said Max under investigation for VSC infringement.

• Like 3

Wow!  I was just thinking how great to see a super-tight, yet incident-free Baku race, when the Sainz/Perez crash happened...

Absolutely peerless drive from Oscar - first to take the chance of an overtake when presented, then to hold off Charles (in DRS range) for lap after lap.  (Watching on C4 with the ad breaks, did anyone else feel the tension when the action was suspended?).  I'm tempted to say that was one of the great race wins, particularly given the challenging nature of Baku.

A while back I commented that Lando lacks that certain something extra that the best of the best possess.  Today (and from the lap 1 overtake at Monza) I saw that quality in Oscar.  It will be interesting to see how the two McLaren drivers compete next season.

What happened with the crash?  Did Cheko touch Carlos's rear wheel?  At first it looked as though Sainz had turned across Perez, or even that his suspension had snapped.

Either way, it brought a smile to hear that Horner was spitting nails, first that Cheko was impeded then was innocent of the crash.  I just hope Max gets a penalty for his VSC infringement to add to Horner's discomfort.

Well done the two newbies and four Brits in the points!  Compared to last season (don't forget it was only in Singapore that RBs dominance was broken), Formula One is in great shape!

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

Only because Norris was told to give up a win and 8 points. Norris has a chance of getting the Drivers title but Piastri is too far back. Considering g where he started gaining three points on Max was a damn good result.

Piastri has out scored Verstappen by 36 points since Silverstone. I think Norris is +10 for the same period.

Personally I think McLaren should back the in form driver and hope for a few DNFs for Red Bull. It's very long odds but possible.

As for Sainz/Perez, both drivers maintained their trajectories out of the corner which took them both to the same patch of tarmac. However, Perez was the driver  behind and with an unhindered view - he could and should have backed off and taken the points for fourth for the constructors Championship.

• Like 2

It would be strange for a team to back the driver with least points unless your name is Schumacher or Verstappen.

Had Norris not been compromised in his qualifying he would likely have won today, probably with some team orders thrown in too.  

Next season will likely be Piastri’s season as he will ensure out of the blocks he is beating his teammate 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I will say that Piastri's win today was much more impressive than Lando's win in Miami. I'm not so sure Lando would have kept his head fighting against Leclerc like Oscar did today.

Also, can we have Ollie Bearman for the rest of the season, pleaseeeee.

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

I will say that Piastri's win today was much more impressive than Lando's win in Miami. I'm not so sure Lando would have kept his head fighting against Leclerc like Oscar did today.

Also, can we have Ollie Bearman for the rest of the season, pleaseeeee.

Bearman for the rest of the season would be good, I hope that Lawson isn’t going off the boil all this time no-one is utilising him! 

• Like 1

Is it me? I get the feeling that since Adrian Newey announced his departure, Max has gone backwards, it was also about the same time that talk of Brake bias was revealed. Could this be the start of the  end for RBR / CH / HM etc?

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SteveM666 said:

. However, Perez was the driver  behind and with an unhindered view - he could and should have backed off and taken the points for fourth for the constructors Championship.

And it stopped MV going for fastest lap that would have been a 2 point swing the other way if he'd got it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Is it me? I get the feeling that since Adrian Newey announced his departure, Max has gone backwards, it was also about the same time that talk if Brake bias was revealed. Could this be the start of the  end for RBR / CH / HM etc?

They'll pull something else out of the hat. Remember, A Verstappen Never Loses.

HA!

Perhaps sometime soon the rug will be pulled from under Mr Beans feet....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Hroth said:

They'll pull something else out of the hat. Remember, A Verstappen Never Loses.

HA!

Perhaps sometime soon the rug will be pulled from under Mr Beans feet....

Verstappen’s championship depends on all the rivals fight amongst themselves or trip over each other trying to beat RB.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, EddieB said:

Absolutely peerless drive from Oscar - first to take the chance of an overtake when presented, then to hold off Charles (in DRS range) for lap after lap.  (Watching on C4 with the ad breaks, did anyone else feel the tension when the action was suspended?).  I'm tempted to say that was one of the great race wins, particularly given the challenging nature of Baku.

Although the first time Leclerc tried to re-take the place, Piastri moved 3 times in the straight. He was lucky to not be penalised for that.

48 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Verstappen’s championship depends on all the rivals fight amongst themselves or trip over each other trying to beat RB.

Which is something I fully expected.

Verstappen has some other things in his favour too. The 3 drivers with any sort of chance to catch him have never won the title. Once the title becomes a possibility, nerves & pressure become a factor.

It would be different if they raced off to an early lead like Button did in 2009, but catching the leader is another matter.

Ignoring the dodgy decisions in 2021, look at the incidents later in the season. Verstappen was on a really good qualy lap in Jeddah before he crashed. I am sure that was due to the pressure of fighting for the title.

The terrible turn 4 running off in Brazil was desperation.

In 1994, Schumacher was leading in Australia & needed to stay where he was to beat Hill to the title, but he hit the wall, taking himself out of the race. We can make our own decisions about whether he crashed into Hill deliberately after that, but this is not the point I am making.

There was a lot of talk during the last week about Norris being a title contender, then he fails to make it out of P1.

Verstappen will have people within the team advising him of this & his race engineer will be on the radio trying to keep him calm during the races. All he needs to do is bring the car home & score some points in every race. The others will take points off each other & he may even pick up a win or 2 along the way.

I would not consider it "in the bag" but his rivals are a long way behind.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I think we're heading into an era of dominance of a new kind of driver such as Piastri, Leclerc, and Norris (and to some degree Russell) where calculated precision wins over the aggression of Verstappen and to some degree Hamilton. I don't think Antonelli is of this ilk though or agree with Toto's approach that it's ok if he crashes because they can slow him down, that just seems like a dig at Mick for being too slow.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SteveM666 said:

Piastri has out scored Verstappen by 36 points since Silverstone. I think Norris is +10 for the same period.

As I've said elsewhere statistics can be made to prove anything. But if you take into account the "shuffle" and reverse those 8 points your figures would read 28 vs 18, much closer. And as others have said if Norris hadn't bee compromised in quali its just as likely that the points could have been very different in the last race. Is Oscar on form and Lando not? Could Oscar have climbed from Landos position on the grid the way Lando did? I'd have said that was far more an indication of "in form" than winning from the front.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Wot no interview with Winger Spice post race on C4? maybe it would have needed too much editing to stop the bleep machine blowing up.

Arianna (C4) did a facetime interview with him and he was complaining about Norris holding up Checo.

Seems to have forgotten Abu Dhabi in 2021 with Checo/Hammy.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2