The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

I think the team need to reflect on how this has happened, I believe Oscar and Lando would have continued to challenge each other and to an extent make things awkward until the team made the prioritisation call.

They should have done it earlier,

no aspiring champion will back down unless they’re ordered too by the team…and sometimes not even then! 😂

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 10/09/2024 at 22:25, TrevorP1 said:

Perhaps that’s how this was filmed… Taffy von Trips on the old Monza.

Posted, to the day, exactly 63 years since he lost his life - at Monza.

• Friendly/supportive 4

13 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/articles/c4gen1vegx7o

Mclaren finally getting Oscar to back Lando up. 

Honestly, the possibility of Lando getting the championship has improved but I still remain sceptical.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope he does but there are too many variables. Too many other Drivers who could and will get ahead of Lando or end up behind Verstappen.

I am pretty sure he would have no chance if his team-mate was also trying to out-score him.

The driver's title must be a hard thing to let go of while it is mathematically still within reach, so the team need to make it clear to Piastri that they will start next season on equal terms, which I am sure they will say & also honour it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, although FP1 doesn't tell us a lot at this stage, Bearman is faster than the Mercs and Sainz. Very encouraging that he can handle a poorer car as well as the Ferrari he was gifted for his first F1 race. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Well I enjoyed that. Exciting, almost right to the end. 

Well done Oscar,  a good drive from Lando and a surprise podium for Russell.

I guess Sainz and Perez will be less happy.  

• Agree 5

A superb race that shows Piastri to be a future world champion. I would even suggest that on current form McLaren should be using Norris to support Piastri's tilt at this year's championship.

Piastri is about 90 points behind Verstappen and is currently outscoring him substantially more than Norris. Use Norris, Ferrari and the odd Merc to keep Verstappen below fifth place with Piastri scoring well and it's a possible fight in the last round.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1