The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Derek 19B said:

Excellent race from start to Finnish . Not sure what Ch4 will cut.

A lot, only 1hr show tonight because of wall to wall Olympics. Made it quite hard to follow in places.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, Derek 19B said:

Not sure what Ch4 will cut.

Most of it actually.  With the programme shortened due to the Paralympics anyway, they still managed to keep in all the pointless filler they usually show and some especially banal chat between Coulthard and Steve Jones before ending 5 minutes early so we could watch Hannah Cockroft win gold. Ad breaks seemed longer too, presumably also cashing in on the Paralympic dollar.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Peterem said:

Most of it actually.  With the programme shortened due to the Paralympics anyway, they still managed to keep in all the pointless filler they usually show and some especially banal chat between Coulthard and Steve Jones before ending 5 minutes early so we could watch Hannah Cockroft win gold. Ad breaks seemed longer too, presumably also cashing in on the Paralympic dollar.

I’ve given up with the C4 highlights. Where possible these days I listen to it live on BBC radio and ‘fill in’ with the clips on the Sky F1 YouTube channel. Their scenes of the Tifosi celebrating after the race were amazing! 

Edited by TrevorP1
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like F1 viewing's gone backwards quite a bit since I was last watching it regularly! Almost reminds me of the days where for some races the only way of following them was by being glued to Ceefax.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Looks like F1 viewing's gone backwards quite a bit since I was last watching it regularly! Almost reminds me of the days where for some races the only way of following them was by being glued to Ceefax.

To be honest I’m no longer bothered about seeing a race live.

i can imagine what’s going on from the commentary and watch the highlights on YouTube later.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

"Watching" F1 on the BBC website is more fun than you might imagine. While the written commentary is often sparse and a little dated, the live timing, if you concentrate, can tell you quite a lot. Last week, I think Lewis had a big gap behind him at one point, so I expected him to go in for a 'free' pitstop, which he did within a lap or two. And by watching the gaps, you can tell who's catching whom, and thus where an overtake is likely. The fact that in the latter stages yesterday, George was catching Max really quite quickly was so different from the early season. Of course full video would be better, but I do ok. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

"Watching" F1 on the BBC website is more fun than you might imagine. While the written commentary is often sparse and a little dated, the live timing, if you concentrate, can tell you quite a lot. Last week, I think Lewis had a big gap behind him at one point, so I expected him to go in for a 'free' pitstop, which he did within a lap or two. And by watching the gaps, you can tell who's catching whom, and thus where an overtake is likely. The fact that in the latter stages yesterday, George was catching Max really quite quickly was so different from the early season. Of course full video would be better, but I do ok. 

Its mainly how I follow F1 nowadays.  There's more chat than action on the C4 "highlights" programme!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

There's more chat than action on the C4 "highlights" programme!

That's contractual with Sky, something like they have to show X number of minutes of pre/post for Y number of minutes of action.

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I remember ITV taking over coverage from the BBC. Myself and several colleagues at the time complained to ITV prior to the first race. They insisted there would be no ad breaks during the race. Must have been alot of "pants on fire" at ITV HQ. I remember one race when Steve Ryder said hello and then straight to an ad break. 

I made a second complaint. Football got all sorts of extra pundit BS that went on for ages after a match. It even pushed the god awful "Corrie" back. But F1 didn't even get the podium interviews and was hurriedly pushed off. Fortunately having a Sky HD package the F1 came free of charge. Whilst I was very much against the pay per view I have to say they do a pretty decent job.

Edited by didcot
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, didcot said:

I remember ITV taking over coverage from the BBC. Myself and several colleagues at the time complained to ITV prior to the first race. They insisted there would be no ad breaks during the race. Must have been alot of "pants on fire" at ITV HQ. I remember one race when Steve Ryder said hello and then straight to an ad break. 

I made a second complaint. Football got all sorts of extra pundit BS that went on for ages after a match. It even pushed the god awful "Corrie" back. But F1 didn't even get the podium interviews and was hurriedly pushed off. Fortunately having a Sky HD package the F1 came free of charge. Whilst I was very much against the pay per view I have to say they do a pretty decent job.

Some years ago when on holiday in Italy we watched the Italian GP live on Italian TV. There were adverts during the race but if anything happened to a Ferrari during the ads they immediately cut straight back to the race! 

• Funny 2

6 hours ago, didcot said:

I remember ITV taking over coverage from the BBC.

I remember that. They put the adverts on just as the first round of pit stops started. 🫣 When the coverage resumed, it almost looked like the cars had been shuffled at random.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 01/09/2024 at 18:08, didcot said:

As other have mentioned Mclaren do need to get behind Lando, but seem reluctant to do it. I may be wrong, but I don't see Oscar pulling over to let Lando through either. Time will tell.

It may be a tough conversation, but could surely go along the lines of "Oscar, we are now more than halfway through the season. If we all get behind Lando, he has a chance of winning the driver's title but you are realistically too far behind now. If we can pull it off, there will be a bonus in it for you too. Next season will be different. You will both be given an equal chance to start with then we will re-assess that if necessary as the season progresses."

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

I really believe that Lando is too far back to be able to overhaul Verstappen's points advantage.

As proven, Mclaren isn't winning every race. Other teams are getting in and taking points from them.

Mclaren winning the constructors title is far more likely. However then they will have less wind tunnel time and lower budget cap for next year.

That's what I didn’t get about Mercedes the other year. They were desperate to get second in the championship but surely getting more wind tunnel time for being lower would have helped them more. They're not exactly a poor team.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

As proven, Mclaren isn't winning every race. Other teams are getting in and taking points from them.

It's not about winning every race but how many points "in front" of Max that Lando is. Last weekend he was 8 points in front, which is more than the difference between 1st and 2nd. There are 8 races left, the gap is 62 points...

I wonder if I'm the only one to wonder when Max will start the dirty tricks to stop Lando...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

First of all he has to be near him on the grid....

Well Norris does a good job every race of going backwards at the start, so it shouldn't be too hard for Verstappen to be fighting him for sixth place after the first corner.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I wonder if I'm the only one to wonder when Max will start the dirty tricks to stop Lando...

It's not just Verstappen, Horner is already questioning the legality of the McLaren and Mercedes front wings. 

Pot calling kettle black.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

It's not about winning every race but how many points "in front" of Max that Lando is. Last weekend he was 8 points in front, which is more than the difference between 1st and 2nd. There are 8 races left, the gap is 62 points...

Issue being that every car in front of Lando isn't between him and Verstappen.

I think Lando being champion this year is a long shot. However, if everything stays roughly the same over the winter then next year will be awesome. It's such a shame it took so long for RB to fall back into everyone else!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Issue being that every car in front of Lando isn't between him and Verstappen.

I think Lando being champion this year is a long shot. However, if everything stays roughly the same over the winter then next year will be awesome. It's such a shame it took so long for RB to fall back into everyone else!

Such a spectacular fall, almost like something has been removed and now they are having to engineer a solution and don't quite know what that solution might be and they don't appear to be able to ask Adrian or he's not saying.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

I see that no one has mentioned Franco Colapinto's first race . Started at 18th and finished 12th ,

seems like a good solid first time result .

A comment from him ,  Before today I had never driven more than eight laps in a row in the FW46

and today there were 53 to do with very high track temps.

The team said ,  Franco had a great first race, He can look back on an impressive first weekend

and a well-deserved P12 in the race.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6