The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

I think Mercedes may have painted themselves into a corner with Antonelli. I have no doubt that he is good, but a more pragmatic approach may have been to put Sainz in the Merc for two years and allow Antonelli to do his learning and make his mistakes out of the spotlight at Williams.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, SteveM666 said:

I think Mercedes may have painted themselves into a corner with Antonelli. I have no doubt that he is good, but a more pragmatic approach may have been to put Sainz in the Merc for two years and allow Antonelli to do his learning and make his mistakes out of the spotlight at Williams.

The problem is that Hamilton left a year earlier than they expected, it should have been Hamilton next year and Antonelli in 2026, but Ferrari made him an offer and off he went.  No-one was going to go to Mercedes on a one year deal so they had to promote Antonelli a year earlier.

What I don't get is that it is Russell who had to give up the car this weekend for Hamilton's replacement - it's going to spoil his preparation.  It's not like either of them are in any way going to be challenging for the F1 driver or constructors at the end of this year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

What I don't get is that it is Russell who had to give up the car this weekend for Hamilton's replacement - it's going to spoil his preparation.  It's not like either of them are in any way going to be challenging for the F1 driver or constructors at the end of this year.

Both have to so has Lewis already made way for another young driver this year?

Alternatively, it's already planned for Lewis to move aside in one of the upcoming races.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Assuming the car isn't 100% as good as it was or not ready for FP2 then You can imagine George dialling up the infamous Mark Webber quote from Japan 2008 when Vettel went into the back of him ("It's kids isn't it? Kids with not enough experience, doing a good job and then they f*** it all up.") . That "kid" did alright in the end so I can imagine Kimi's trajectory will be unchanged...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I'm not a fan of his, but I am surprised to see Alonso as high as no7. He seems to be one of the better ones at keeping clear of trouble.

He doesn't like being beaten by a team mate. Lance Stroll is at number five, so perhaps he is trying to overtake him.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, didcot said:

Antonelli confirmed for Mercedes. 

The perfect way for Toto to express continuing  confidence in the youngster after his 'off' yesterday. And it settles the driver market, too. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Well that was unexpected and good to see.

Mclaren lost that. Oscar's move into the chicane on Lando really didn't help the team. Too close and could have ended the race there. Clearly not interested in helping Lando towards the drivers championship.  Having said that Lando's mistake didn't help either. 

Edited by didcot
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The lowly finishes for Red Bull, with big gaps ahead of both cars, tell us a lot about how much way they have lost recently. And the team Championship gap is now in single figures! 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, didcot said:

Well that was unexpected and good to see.

Mclaren lost that. Oscar's move into the chicane on Lando really didn't help the team. Too close and could have ended the race there. Clearly not interested in helping Lando towards the drivers championship.  Having said that Lando's mistake didn't help either. 

They perhaps first wanted to ensure a 1-2, they could sort the car order later - but LeClerc staying out on a one stop destroyed that option plus Norris seemed to have more degradation than piastri so it remained as it was to the end.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

with big gaps ahead of both cars, tell us a lot about how much way they have lost recently

Horner moaning about others cars tells us how much they’re missing their little ‘clarification’ 😂

• Funny 8

1 hour ago, didcot said:

Magnesson appears to have reached 12 penalty points and will miss the next race.

Nice to hear that the penalty actually gets applied. Most penalty points are earned in practise though, where grid & time penalties for the race are deemed inappropriate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

They perhaps first wanted to ensure a 1-2, they could sort the car order later - but LeClerc staying out on a one stop destroyed that option plus Norris seemed to have more degradation than piastri so it remained as it was to the end.

I agreed with their swapping back of places in Hungary but not today. Being a little further along in the season & with Norris' win last week, he should have their full support now.

I said a while back that no 1 driver had enough of an advantage to win the remaining races the way Verstappen has won the first few & that wins would be 'shared' around. That makes the lead look huge if he can keep picking up minor points.

Ferrari's strategy was a gamble which paid off. They did not know until about lap 50 that it was the right one & if he had a spin due to lack of grip, it could easily have made it a losing gamble.

A Ferrari win in Monza is as popular as things get with local fans though. Leclerc in particular will have a good night & I am sure the team will ensure Sainz will do too.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Ferrari's strategy was a gamble which paid off. They did not know until about lap 50 that it was the right one & if he had a spin due to lack of grip, it could easily have made it a losing gamble.

A Ferrari win in Monza is as popular as things get with local fans though. Leclerc in particular will have a good night & I am sure the team will ensure Sainz will do too.

Yes you are right having been there on such occasions a number of times. I would though, if I may suggest, that a Ferrari victory will be popular around the world having many fans here in the UK too. Forza Ferrari!

Kind regards,

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed that today, alway good to see Ferrari win at Monza. I’m not sure it was the right call from McLaren allowing the drivers to race - think that could have cost them the 1,2 today. (All if buts and maybes though)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As other have mentioned Mclaren do need to get behind Lando, but seem reluctant to do it. I may be wrong, but I don't see Oscar pulling over to let Lando through either. Time will tell.

• Agree 2