The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Premium

I will say that Damon Hill shouldn’t be commenting on other teams team orders - cough Belgium 1998 Grand Prix cough.

Basically threatened to have a crash with his Jordan teammate if they didn’t stay status who as 1-2.

• Funny 2

44 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

I will say that Damon Hill shouldn’t be commenting on other teams team orders - cough Belgium 1998 Grand Prix cough.

Basically threatened to have a crash with his Jordan teammate if they didn’t stay status who as 1-2.

Ah yes, a classic. Was David Coulthard commenting as well?

The race ran entirely in extremely wet weather, and David Coulthard lost control of his McLaren at the start on the first lap, causing a multiple collision involving thirteen drivers, which led to the race being stopped. After a delay of more than an hour to clear the track, a second attempt was made to start the race, albeit without four of the drivers involved in the incident. At the restart, championship leader and polesitter Mika Häkkinen spun his McLaren at the first corner and was hit by the Sauber of Johnny Herbert, forcing them both to retire from the race.

After the restart...

Hill took the lead but was overtaken on lap eight by Michael Schumacher. Schumacher had built up over 30 seconds of advantage over Hill by lap 24 when he came up to lap Coulthard. After being instructed over the team radio to let him past, Coulthard slowed down but stayed on the main racing line; due to the spray behind Coulthard, Schumacher was unsighted, hit the back of the McLaren, and caused terminal damage to his Ferrari. Coulthard initially retired due to damage on his own car but eventually rejoined the race and finished seventh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Belgian_Grand_Prix

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Lando's engineer made a good point. He won't win a championship on his own. He needs the team and he needs Oscar on his side. 

The flipside to that is that Lando and McLaren won't win the championship if they put him behind his team-mate who has fewer points...

• Agree 6

I do wonder if they've made a mistake by insisting on Lando giving up the win. Lando is 76 points behind Max and 40 ahead of Oscar, there are 13 more races, if results continue like they are and Lando can make an average gain of 7 points per race over Max he will overhaul him. Thing is, that sort of thing never goes to plan and will, inevitably, be closer, those 7 points could come back to haunt McLaren. EDIT: we're thinking along the same lines at the same time, Obi!

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

9 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Be interesting to see what the weather throws at the grid next weekend in Spa.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Be interesting to see what the weather throws at the grid next weekend in Spa.

A quick look at the forecast suggests a cool dry Friday, rainy but warm Saturday and dry but much cooler Sunday afternoon. On the 8 occasions I have been to Spa, none has been completely dry for the few days we were there. And the Ardennes weather is very difficult for forecasters at the best of times!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

The flipside to that is that Lando and McLaren won't win the championship if they put him behind his team-mate who has fewer points...

No but they didn’t sacrifice any points and the drivers championship is a longshot but the constructors is within grasp if both drivers are strong. The team needed Oscar to feel equal as much as Lando might need his help. 
Basically McLaren ended up in a fix because of covering off others and in the process undercut Oscar. 
Very difficult call and in the heat I think fair but it did then leave a question of whether Lando could fight back. I suspect a few apologies and a new strategy agreement being formulated this week. 
Telling thing is Lando while admitting it was hard didn’t throw a tantrum so he’s saved a token for the future there. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

They didn’t sacrifice any constructors points, no, but Lando gave up 7 to Oscar. Obviously it’s unlikely as you say, but should Lando end up within 7 points of Verstappen at the end of the season then they have thrown away the drivers championship.

Stupid situation they didn’t need to be in, and then just exacerbated.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

the drivers championship is a longshot

I'd debate that point, Paul. Based on recent results the drivers championship for Lando is actually a distinct possibility, there are 13 races to go, as long as he averages more than 7 points more than Max each race he will catch him (which is the difference in points between 1st and 2nd). We'll have to see if recent results are just a flash in the pan or if the rest of the pack has indeed caught up with Redbull, but on recent results its a distinct possibility, not a longshot. Let's wait and see (and keep our fingers crossed!)...

Edited by Hobby
clarification
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, njee20 said:

They didn’t sacrifice any constructors points, no, but Lando gave up 7 to Oscar.

Arguably 14, the 7 he lost and the 7 Oscar gained. 

• Like 2

Realistically the chance of Lando overhauling Max's lead is low, Red Bull might be in the doldrums at present but it depends on them not tweaking the car to make it more competitive again which is highly unlikely and what enhancements Mercedes might bring on their car and at what point Ferrari start to perform again.

So for McLaren the focus is constructors is key, the higher they place the more money they win, there is no direct payment for the F1 driver championship, it's the constructors ranking that pays money to the team.

• Like 3

To say the Drivers Championship is a longshot disregards a few examples from the past. Prost was the outsider against the two Williams drivers in '86. I think Vettel didn't take the championship lead in 2010 until the last race. In 2021, Hamilton needed to win the last five races and would have done that until the FIA screwed up.

We know that Mr Bean is rattled when under pressure and that he will need to take an engine penalty this season (probably at Spa) so it's perfectly possible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Keeping Norris in front of Piastri may have put Oscar's nose out of joint, but it would have helped close the gap to Max even more, and would not have altered the amount of points McLaren scored in the Constructors'. Maybe it was the best decision for team harmony, certainly in the short term, but it's not the action of a team determined to take every chance of winning the Drivers' championship, which is the one the paying public care about.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Reading between the lines of AS' comments following the finish where he stated that Lando letting Oscar take the win and it allowing the Team to operate as planned etc leads me to suspect that Lando will get top priority from now on, now Oscar has his win etc. We shall see.

• Like 4

On the covering off Lewis thing. What I heard was they had time in hand. There is a possibility they could have pitted Oscar and then Lando and Lando would still have come out ahead. 

What McLaren possibly need to do is practice the double pitstops. Something Mercedes seem to have down to a fine art. 

Doing that might have saved their issues. Although Lando would have needed to back off as the gap was less than 2 seconds between him and Oscar at that point. 

As for Lando's Drivers Championship chances. When Mercedes and Ferrari drivers are also giving him problems for wins I do think it's unlikely.

Sure, if Lando can start consistently winning and Red Bull keep imploding then it's possible. But as it is now things are too close. The fastest car each weekend appears to be different. We've had 7 different winners now but of them only one has won mutiple times. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think McLaren built themselves a no win situation. Lando did say we will see at the end of the season in his interview. 
He knew the risk and chose the team, that’s thank you for their previous faith in him but he’s getting harder so both sides know this could create a risk in the future so there will be discussions. Lando paid back the moral debt, even more impressive when he knows the potential. Don’t expect it to repeat 😎

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Depends if they'd been allowed to continue racing at that late stage. They could have had the 'hold position' order by that point.

I was thinking from the perspective of actual race skills rather than political influences.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, didcot said:

Oscar certainly had the look of a driver who knew he had been gifted a win, rather than on merit!

Yes no celebrations in the car and no smiles in the interview. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Arguably 14, the 7 he lost and the 7 Oscar gained. 

Yeah, I started to write something about that and then ran out of fingers and got confused! I guess "ceded 7 to Max" would be more relevant, as Oscar isn't his primary WDC rival.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 22/07/2024 at 13:24, didcot said:

Oscar certainly had the look of a driver who knew he had been gifted a win, rather than on merit!

I agree re how he looked but as much as I am a Lando fan the facts are:

- Lando was on pole

- Oscar jumped Lando at the start

- Oscar led all the way to the 2nd pit stop

- If at that stop Oscar pitted first then Lando wouldn't have overtaken him

Reality is Oscar won this so should have been well within his rights to celebrate but kudos to him for recognising the situation and toning it down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2