The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Gold

As soon as there’s any competition he reverts to spoilt child. 
Poor driving, even poorer attitude and does he have to take the wheel off another car before they penalise him?!? Dangerous letting that go again. 

• Agree 12

As Ted Kravitz put it. RB call it a racing incident whenever Max crashes into someone else, whilst the rest of the paddock see it somewhat differently. 

It seems the Stewards are on RB's side this time......again!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Lewis - who of course didn't suffer any hurt - said he thought it was a racing incident. 

Fair enough but when looked at with his radio rants and other dives it looks slightly more petulant to me. 
Mind you Lewis is probably thinking I’ll bank that for when it matters. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Lewis - who of course didn't suffer any hurt - said he thought it was a racing incident. 

He’s chilled out in his old age.

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 1

I watch F1 on C4, so I always make sure I don't watch the news on any other channel, turn the radio off if I'm listening on the hour; and I've stopped looking at Youtube 'cos someone always puts something on it with the result. After all these precautions I had Formula E come on after I'd watched British superbikes, and sod me if Mark Webber didn't pop up and shout the result. I give up.

Edited by daltonparva
  • Friendly/supportive 7

11 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

I watch F1 on C4, so I always make sure I don't watch the news on any other channel, turn the radio off if I'm listening on the hour; and I've stopped looking at Youtube 'cos someone always puts something on it with the result. After all these precautions I had Formula E come on after I'd watched British superbikes, and sod me if Mark Webber didn't pop up and shout the result. I give up.

David Coulthard had some quite interesting insights into the mindset of a driver who's being told to let his teammate past.

I think McLaren do need to be looking at their race strategy. They put themselves into the situation by letting Lando pit first for the last stint. Mercedes has shown the way to not tie yourselves into knots by pitting your lead car first.

Obviously, hindsight is a wonderful thing and it's massively easier to say what they should have done. Just hoping that McLaren is putting all this lovely hindsight into their hivemind for future races. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

He was probably just being diplomatic. It may've been a different matter if the Petulant Child had damaged Lewis's car.

I actually enjoyed hearing PC whining and crying on the radio and his race engineer eventually telling him to STFU. Show he still hasn't matured, especially under pressure. The amount of hypocrisy was unbelievable from one who, when not having a clear run in front, consistently pushes people off track, moves under braking and dive bombs on corner. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The first highlights on C4 that I've watched from start to finish* for a long time.  I thought that McLaren made a bit of a ballsup over the team order thing and hope they can make peace between Norris and Piastri before the next race and don't behave so heavy handed again. 

It seems that now other teams seem to be getting their cars in order that Mr Bean doesn't relish the disturbance of the RB status quo and is reverting to his bullying petulant child persona.  Its good to see Hamilton on the podium again, a pity that Russell couldn't get any closer.  He might have pushed Mr Bean a place further back...

* Only the racing, I avoid the talking heads that top and tail the action!

• Like 2

Good team result for Mclaren, shame the un-necessary bad taste re strategy.

There might have been some logic to Lando letting Oscar past early, stay within 1 second then say "I am quicker, let me past" They were allowed to race earlier in the race apparently...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

and hope they can make peace between Norris and Piastri before the next race and don't behave so heavy handed again. 

Lando knew it was the right thing to do but was torn as the points might tell at the of the season. It’s good he’s thinking of that and he’s banked a token for the future.
The team order was clumsy but I guess they’ll apologise and Lando knows playing the game has got him where he is so taking a hit now hopefully pays back later. He still demonstrated his speed so apart from the blip at the start he’s just chipping away at it and building consistency. 
Messy but good, that’s two races that have been watchable! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, friscopete said:

I gather Lando is a very unhappy bunny .Mercedes ?

No I think he still likes where he is, that’s why he gave it up, Lando is hard on himself and he will use it to make it better. He’s had the hard lesson from Max and now the team orders, it’ll keep making him stronger. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

You have to feel for Lando. He drove the better race I think, apart from the start, and whilst he got track position due to the pits stops he was clearly faster.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

He certainly had the pace, pulling that 6s gap "proved the point", as his exasperated race engineer said. Makes you wonder if they had pitted in the other order,  would he have been able to get past?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

I questioned how smart Lando is - fighting so hard against his teammate at the start at the expense of Max almost getting past.

Almost Bottas Mexico 2021 start esque with Max on the outside.

all drivers have brain fade .it goes with the job ..unless you are Prost

So a maiden win for Oscar, a McLaren 1-2, a 200th podium for Lewis and Max limping home in fifth after troubles of his own making (and publicly rebuked by his team for petulance)...

What's not to like?

Well, quite a lot actually.  A sense for Oscar that it was a hollow victory, brought about by further ineptness over pit-stops, leaving neither of the McLaren drivers coming away happy.  The radio messages - Lando repeatedly told to look after tyres on corners 4 and 11 - fooled nobody.  I'm sure there'll be a different perspective once the dust settles, but let's hope that Lando doesn't miss out on the championship by seven points!

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, friscopete said:

Does anyone know why Piastri couldnt catch Lando .i think this was Landos main grudge .If he is so hot why isnt he right behind me .

That will be a metal thing.

Lando is told to let Oscer pass. So he'll push more to prove why he shouldn't. His subconscious mind will let him take more risk.

Oscar meanwhile is told Lando is going to let him by. He won't push as hard as that incurres more risk. He's also subconsciously conditioned not to take as much risk.

Lando's engineer made a good point. He won't win a championship on his own. He needs the team and he needs Oscar on his side. 

Honestly, McLaren are better off gunning for the constructors this year. Crashappen built too much of a lead early on and the McLaren isn't the fastest car EVERY weekend. 

Treat this year as a learning year to make all the mistakes. Then make a full assault on the drivers championship next year.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

I think McLaren do need to be looking at their race strategy. They put themselves into the situation by letting Lando pit first for the last stint. Mercedes has shown the way to not tie yourselves into knots by pitting your lead car first.

They pitted Norris first to cover off an undercut from Hamilton. That decision could well have given them a 1-2 instead of a 1-3 today.

If Norris had given back the position soon after they asked, he may well have been allowed to attack Piastri. I guess we will never know that?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, didcot said:

As Ted Kravitz put it. RB call it a racing incident whenever Max crashes into someone else, whilst the rest of the paddock see it somewhat differently. 

It seems the Stewards are on RB's side this time......again!

The stewards could have told him it was reckless by giving him a penalty.

But they didn't, so he will do it again...& again.

• Agree 10