The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

6 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I don’t understand the attitude to Horner .

If you are not fairly vicious and direct in your dealings you are not going to get far in a sport like this .

Let's not forget the constant mud slinging and whining about bendy rear wings on the Mercs a few years back. Didn't the FIA bring in a new test that showed nothing amiss. But Horner had conveniently forgotten that they had previously been found to have bendy wings themselves and given time to fix it.

In one interview he was asked if he would be seeing Toto over the Christmas period. " Not unless he's in Panto" came the reply. What does that tell you about the man. Empty vessels......!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

In the heady days when i was able to watch F1, Horner always seemed to be available for live interviews during the race - a complete tart in that respect. Yet no team manager is ever going to tell the broadcaster anything of real significance - unless a driver has retired or been hurt, say. He will not be saying that they intend bringing Max in on lap 22 for soft tyres. So I found his 'contributions' - and the occasional equivalent non-updates from other team principals - to be entirely superfluous. But it's what tv people think gives their broadcast more cred - talking to those at the heart of the team. On the track is where the only action happens - pitstops apart - so keep the cameras out there, please. 

Due to their winning ways, Horner - and Verstappen junior - are still usually interviewed/spoken to by C4 before, during or after the race, sometimes all three. As I almost always record the highlights to watch later that day, I have the luxury of fast-forwarding every time they appear for a chat!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On a more positive not my boys are off to Silverstone this weekend. First time for the youngest. Hopefully we will see them in Thursday's F1 Show and Ted's Race Notebook. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I don’t understand the attitude to Horner .

He's not got the nickname Whinger Spice for nothing. Always moaning about being wronged, even when they've been guilty of the same/similar before (e.g. wing-gate).

Then condones dangerous driving from his driver, the sort of driving that actually had a rule created to stop it because he was getting so dangerous.

• Agree 10

A very good analysis of the Lando vs Crashappen fight has been released on the F1 YouTube channel.

If the final clash hadn't happened, Crashappen would likely have gotten a penalty for driving off the road and gaining an advantage.

Everything about Crashappen's driving reeked of someone who had a superiority mentality. That nobody should be allowed to overtake him. He moved mutiple times under braking and his complaints about 'divebomming' are rich coming from someone who uses them himself.

As for his race engineer and Horner. I suppose they are supporting their driver. No different to a manager in a business supporting the people working under them.

We don't know what could be said behind closed doors to Crashappen. We can only go on what is seen and said publicly which, admittedly, gives little hope for a constructive behind closed doors discussion.

The only way Crashappen will learn is if he's being consistently penalised. Sadly, consistent stewarding seems to be a pipe dream.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

The only way Crashappen will learn is if he's being consistently penalised. Sadly, consistent stewarding seems to be a pipe dream.

Don't hold your breath. Max and his antics are the ace attraction for F1 today, FIA's flagship championship, and while we might think FIA ought to be even-handed with stewarding, they and FOM share an interest in keeping him in situ, and we have no idea whether FOM puts a bit of money in FIA's pocket to retain the status quo....

• Like 3

Not at the British GP he isn't. I saw a quote somewhere that ticket sales are down due to his dominance, hence the cost has gone up.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, didcot said:

Not at the British GP he isn't. I saw a quote somewhere that ticket sales are down due to his dominance, hence the cost has gone up.

Damon Hill said on the Sky podcast that they are nearly sold out. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I was pondering on Silverstone earlier. Is Maggotts still unchanged, and hence the only original corner left in its original form, or has that had the odd tweak? Of course these days it makes more sense to consider it as part of the Becketts complex anyway.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

In the heady days when i was able to watch F1, Horner always seemed to be available for live interviews during the race - a complete tart in that respect. Yet no team manager is ever going to tell the broadcaster anything of real significance - unless a driver has retired or been hurt, say. He will not be saying that they intend bringing Max in on lap 22 for soft tyres. So I found his 'contributions' - and the occasional equivalent non-updates from other team principals - to be entirely superfluous. But it's what tv people think gives their broadcast more cred - talking to those at the heart of the team. On the track is where the only action happens - pitstops apart - so keep the cameras out there, please. 

If you still had Sky nowadays, you'd get to see the occasional interview from Mercedes' Bradley Lord in the middle of the race. He's Merc's chief communications officer - which perhaps says it all!

His linkedin summary says:

image.png.aec62535d12c0a4629c7cfeb5df6d279.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Damon Hill said on the Sky podcast that they are nearly sold out. 

Autosport have reported that Silverstone have seen a surge in ticket sales since the Norris/Verstappen collision in Austria. Is this the new, young F1 fans hoping for some more on track stock car action?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Is this the new, young F1 fans hoping for some more on track stock car action?

Or all fans excited that there’s actually a chance of competition?

The collision was far smaller than MV parking on top of Lewis, or their collision at Silverstone so I think it would be quite an assumption that the younger fans are any more attracted to bumper cars. 
Look back at previous eras and you’ll find plenty of pics of today’s ‘mature’ race goers crowding to watch accidents. Ok they’re still pics or tv footage but the, sometimes morbid, fascination has always been there. 

IMG_9251.jpeg.bd651d3083eef82af4a319c75199e879.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

After his showing earlier this season, he was on every team-principal's potential shopping list. And Haas right now look better than some.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

I'd assume he is still contracted to Ferrari, but placed at Haas until the bigger team has an opening.

Yeah if he does well then when Lewis retires he may be ready to slot in. 
Lewis and Charles will be interesting and I’m hoping it’s very very close. 

• Like 3

On 04/07/2024 at 09:55, Oldddudders said:

After his showing earlier this season, he was on every team-principal's potential shopping list. And Haas right now look better than some.

And 14th in FP1 earlier 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see Jennie Gow there and reporting.

The weather forecast is rather  for tonight and 30-40% of rain for quali and racing. Heavy rain is forecast for soon after the race finish so if that speeds up a bit, it could be a soggy end to the race.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

My boys came home soaked through last night. They didn't stop to see Stormzy.

Back again today and I've just had a text to says it's pouring and only 10 degrees. The wind has really picked up. It's not much better here. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting end to a soggy practice 3.

1 Russell

2 Hamilton

3 Norris

Lets hope the rain keeps up for qualifying and for the race tomorrow!

• Like 6