The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I'ii be happy if someone (anyone) beats MV. That way we won't have to listen to Horner.

Best get some ear plugs!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My virtual watching of the BBC website live feed indicated lots of overtaking and some gambles on tyre strategy, making the race a lot more dynamic than some until the last dozen or so laps. Until recently, decent Merc showing in FP was not replicated in Quali, let alone the race. Not so today. They are catching up. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This definitely bodes well for the rest of the season, good to see Lando fired up for winning, he genuinely looked disappointed on the podium. I even think Max is growing on me, I think he’s matured a lot over the last couple of seasons. Think it’s the first time I heard GP (his race engineer) tell him to push 16 laps from the end as Lando isn’t save his tyres.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoying Lando ticking off the self development bit by bit and he’s not reached full potential yet. His interview about getting pole begs the question is his lack of confidence in the car, that meant he had to take a big risk, the car still being just behind RB or just Lando pushing his own mental barriers still? 😀

Whatever it is it’s got the drama going again and he knows he’s still not reached the limit which means he will keep looking for the next tenth. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

Rather than blame an indifferent start, I think Lando's extended first two stints enabled Max to open a gap that far exceeded the pit window - there wasn't enough tyre degradation to close the gap, despite a faster car.

However, really great to see four teams now in serious contention.  I'm still struggling to understand why Cheko is so seriously off the pace - he was always competitive from when he first started (2012) - and why he's been offered an extended contract despite poor form.  (Although with the time gaps in qualifying closing, perhaps the difference in positions isn't as great as first appears).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, didcot said:

Best get some ear plugs!

Wandering off on a bit of a tangent the only time I've seen F1 cars for real was in the late 90s, when I was at Cranfield and someone found out the practice sessions the weekend before the GP were free to go to, and it's not that far to Silverstone from there. Found out you could get free earplugs as we were leaving, my ears were ringing by then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, EddieB said:

I'm still struggling to understand why Cheko is so seriously off the pace - he was always competitive from when he first started (2012) - and why he's been offered an extended contract despite poor form.  (Although with the time gaps in qualifying closing, perhaps the difference in positions isn't as great as first appears).

I am certain that the unease at Red Bull, with Newey departing, and an alleged power struggle behind the scenes, has given Max the opportunity to insist that Checo be retained - or else. That way he continues to be top dog, whereas had Sainz been imported, some much greater friction might have ensued. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

43 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I am certain that the unease at Red Bull, with Newey departing, and an alleged power struggle behind the scenes, has given Max the opportunity to insist that Checo be retained - or else. That way he continues to be top dog, whereas had Sainz been imported, some much greater friction might have ensued. 

His lack of form is going to harm their constructors place though Mercedes finding pace is helping them as it now splits Ferrari and McLaren points hauls which helps RB keep ahead.

But all Verstappen has to do is keep on winning 1 second or 45 seconds it's the same number of points.

Of course if the shenanigans have affected development of the car then he might find himself having to work the car harder and then it becomes like the other cars, the RB looks designed to be out front where wear and tear is at the minimum.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, didcot said:

Gasly and Stroll extend their contracts. 

The second is such a surprise. You'd think daddy owned the team or something, wouldn't you?

• Funny 10

Hmm, I was kind of hoping Lance would move over to the Aston Martin works team that's joining the World Endurance Championship next season, as I think he'd do quite well in that championship. It would also have meant that AMF1 could then have signed a more consistent driver for the seat alongside Fernando - Carlos Sainz perhaps? Oh well, never mind.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Hmm, I was kind of hoping Lance would move over to the Aston Martin works team that's joining the World Endurance Championship next season, as I think he'd do quite well in that championship. It would also have meant that AMF1 could then have signed a more consistent driver for the seat alongside Fernando - Carlos Sainz perhaps? Oh well, never mind.

I agree .He would make a good WEC driver.He did well at Daytona a few years ago .Many in other  lower formulas were suspicious of both Stroll and Micks  championships .WEC is about their place and no shame in that .

Edited by friscopete
  • Like 4

This season is developing rather nicely frankly. We are seeing MV show that he really is a talent and he is maturing as a person. He seems to be relishing the battle with the teams that are now snapping at his tail pipe.

Lando is a revelation frankly - he really has got his mojo working. He gets better all the time, as does the McLaren.

The Mercedes pair seem on the cusp of being back on the pace as well, which can only be a good thing.

All we need now is Ferrari to stop mucking about... 😂 Well, maybe then...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, iak said:

This season is developing rather nicely frankly. We are seeing MV show that he really is a talent and he is maturing as a person. He seems to be relishing the battle with the teams that are now snapping at his tail pipe.

Lando is a revelation frankly - he really has got his mojo working. He gets better all the time, as does the McLaren.

The Mercedes pair seem on the cusp of being back on the pace as well, which can only be a good thing.

All we need now is Ferrari to stop mucking about... 😂 Well, maybe then...

My son in law ran Lando in  GB3 and said the minute he did a couple of laps thay knew .He said you just know who will make it  and who wont and the others are just makin up the numbers.You can only learn so much and  ease into being quick .You can win every championship on the way up but if the guys behind are  as slow as you are in the end you get found out ...unless you cheat and the prime cheater has just returned to the paddock.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2024 at 14:02, friscopete said:

prime cheater has just returned to the paddock.

Briatore? 

Jo

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Max channeling his inner Schumacher there.  When push comes to shove he does both.   Low grade integrity runs in the family.

Glad George won.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

Nice one George. 

Crashtappen returns to form playing dirty under pressure. Needs more than 10 seconds. Totally unacceptable to force a competitor off the road with damaged cars.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Red Bull and Max in denial on the team radio as usual.  Martin Brundle commented that if that is their attitude then it will keep happening.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

So Max gets a puncture and his first reaction is to try to run Lando onto the grass, back to his old games but typical that he can continue but Lando can't.

Great for George and he wasn't too far behind when the front 2 clashed.

Also great for Haas but should they really be beating Perez?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Ted Kravitz called it as well. That's what happens when you race Crashtappen. 

The whole RB/Crashtappen denial is unbelievable. Did they not see Crashtappen look to his right and force Lando onto the grass after the accident. 

But what do you expect from a team led by Horner.

As you might have guessed we are livid here in Didcot. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

For the first time in quite a while, I'll record the Ch4 highlights so I can skip the talking heads and ads and watch some of the race!

If it's as bad as you're saying it was, I can't think of a reason why Mr Bean shouldn't be disqualified and have his points for this race deducted.  And also be given a last place grid position penalty for the next couple of races...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1