The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Bill Radford said:

It's all good advertising...

Every time CH & JV are mentioned so is a certain liquid.

Farm slurry?

• Funny 4

Both parties should have been removed from post whilst the investigation was/is ongoing.  It removes them from the environment and prevents them coercing colleagues. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I'd like to think that Red Bull's HR team and legal advisers have had some involvement with this decision.

From my HR notes;

When an employee does something which potentially constitutes misconduct, the common reaction is to suspend employees on full pay, pending any investigation and possible disciplinary hearing.

However, a recent case (2017) calls this approach into question;

Typically, employee suspension has been widely regarded as a ‘neutral act’, meaning it causes no detriment to the employee. The perception is that the employee’s absence allows any investigation to be conducted fairly. However, in the recent case of Agoreyo v. London Borough of Lambeth 2017, doubt has been cast on this.

The High Court stated that, contrary to popular belief, employee suspension is not a ‘neutral act’, particularly when it concerns qualified professionals as it automatically brings into question their competence.

The Court went on to stated that the suspension had been the employer’s “default position” and that it had been a “knee-jerk reaction” which had been sufficient to breach the implied term relating to trust and confidence.

The High Court held that the employer’s decision to suspend Ms Agoreyo amounted to a repudiatory breach of her contract, and that her resignation amounted to a constructive dismissal.

In light of this finding, employers need to ensure that any employee suspension is always justified. It should not be a routine response to an act of misconduct that requires investigation.

This case highlights the importance of giving due consideration to the question of whether to suspend an employee when allegations of misconduct are raised. If the decision is taken to suspend, employers need to ensure they have acted reasonably and have a clear explanation as to why this course of action has been taken.

Edited by 4630
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)

On a more positive note my eldest bought himself a signed half size Damon Hill helmet. 

20240307_180807.jpg.072d505a80b22c66f7e2849c8ae75cda.jpg

My favourite driver and even the box has Murray's quote "I've got to stop now as I have a lump in my throat ". He wasn't alone!

And he played guitar on a Def Leppard album as well, who happen to be my favourite band.

Is it me or was it less political and more about the racing.

Edited by didcot
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 4630 said:

I'd like to think that Red Bull's HR team and legal advisers have had some involvement with this decision.

From my HR notes;

When an employee does something which potentially constitutes misconduct, the common reaction is to suspend employees on full pay, pending any investigation and possible disciplinary hearing.

However, a recent case (2017) calls this approach into question;

Typically, employee suspension has been widely regarded as a ‘neutral act’, meaning it causes no detriment to the employee. The perception is that the employee’s absence allows any investigation to be conducted fairly. However, in the recent case of Agoreyo v. London Borough of Lambeth 2017, doubt has been cast on this.

The High Court stated that, contrary to popular belief, employee suspension is not a ‘neutral act’, particularly when it concerns qualified professionals as it automatically brings into question their competence.

The Court went on to stated that the suspension had been the employer’s “default position” and that it had been a “knee-jerk reaction” which had been sufficient to breach the implied term relating to trust and confidence.

The High Court held that the employer’s decision to suspend Ms Agoreyo amounted to a repudiatory breach of her contract, and that her resignation amounted to a constructive dismissal.

In light of this finding, employers need to ensure that any employee suspension is always justified. It should not be a routine response to an act of misconduct that requires investigation.

This case highlights the importance of giving due consideration to the question of whether to suspend an employee when allegations of misconduct are raised. If the decision is taken to suspend, employers need to ensure they have acted reasonably and have a clear explanation as to why this course of action has been taken.

That looks like it is straight out of the pages of 'People Management'.  Thankfully I no longer have to read that every month......or pay the swine to retain their letters after my name.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Sexism is par for the course in motorsport .My daughter was told when she went to a certain circuit when she joined  Octogon's press team "Its about time we got a looker ,the last one was a real minger "or words to that effect .

• Friendly/supportive 4

If you make an accusation which is proved to be incorrect or a lie , doesn’t that open you up to sacking on the basis of gross misconduct ?

I can’t believe in this day and age , he actually wrote something in a text - screenshots have taken down many people .

I never write, like or insinuate anything that can be used as a weapon against me .

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, didcot said:

On a more positive note my eldest bought himself a signed half size Damon Hill helmet. 

20240307_180807.jpg.072d505a80b22c66f7e2849c8ae75cda.jpg

My favourite driver and even the box has Murray's quote "I've got to stop now as I have a lump in my throat ". He wasn't alone!

And he played guitar on a Def Leppard album as well, who happen to be my favourite band.

Is it me or was it less political and more about the racing.

Nice story/momento

I think there were still plenty of politics then, I just didn't get the air time as social media and the Internet didn't exist/wasn't widely used so the limited air time was invested in racing. 

• Like 1

image.png.1fd731818a179d50c33bff55fd402ae6.png

Oliver Bearman is set to make his F1 debut stepping in for Carlos Sainz.

Carlos has been diagnosed with appendicitis and will require surgery.

Get well soon Carlos

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

52 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

image.png.1fd731818a179d50c33bff55fd402ae6.png

Oliver Bearman is set to make his F1 debut stepping in for Carlos Sainz.

Carlos has been diagnosed with appendicitis and will require surgery.

Get well soon Carlos

Blimey! Talk about pressure. Good luck to the lad, great to see another brit on the grid. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Christian Horner will be relieved that the journos now have something else to talk about even though he would wish no ill on Sainz..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Suspend all of them from at least the next 3 races, with gagging orders on pain of dismissal while things are sorted out.  I know, its not going to happen!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Just give Ocon a 5 second penalty and that’s it sorted!

O you got the phone call from Ben Sulayem!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Very much looks like a power struggle between the Austrian and Thai sides of the Red Bull company ownership.  The Thai side has the majority holding so will most likely prevail but it may end up being somewhat of a pyrrhic victory if they are left without Verstappen as a driver.

Its almost enough to make you feel sorry for them…

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1