The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Gold

It is interesting that drivers, like Lewis, can declare their next move a whole season in advance, while engineers are perceived to carry so much knowledge in their heads that their departure from a team is invariably under 'gardening leave' conditions, such that intellectual property in designs cannot quickly transfer.

Evidently drivers are incapable of saying to the new team "Well, my last lot did it like this, and it really worked!" 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Any driver worth his salt will be able to transfer a lot of things over from team to team, at the very least compare ways they work and get the best of the two.

• Agree 2

Not all .Some World Champions  didnt know what end was front unless told...according to their engineers .They were no help at all  on set up which is why some "lesser" team mates  had  oddly long stints in a team .They had to beg  at least one of them  not to blow the  engine on the first lap at tests

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Any driver worth his salt will be able to transfer a lot of things over from team to team, at the very least compare ways they work and get the best of the two.

Depends on the engineers actually listening to the driver.  Some teams might not overencourage a crossflow of information. Engineers engineer, drivers do what they're told and drive.

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Depends on the engineers actually listening to the driver.  Some teams might not overencourage a crossflow of information. Engineers engineer, drivers do what they're told and drive.

But some drivers are able to provide a lot of analysis of the car's behaviour to that engineer, while others lack the ability to usefully explain what is and isn't working. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, friscopete said:

Not all .Some World Champions  didnt know what end was front unless told...according to their engineers .They were no help at all  on set up which is why some "lesser" team mates  had  oddly long stints in a team .They had to beg  at least one of them  not to blow the  engine on the first lap at tests

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I wasn't specifically referring to transfer of technical knowledge/car setups but more about how the team is set up/works, etc.. There's still ability to find better ways of working and I expect top drivers like Lewis and Max would be much more switched on than the older "seat of the pants" drivers.

• Like 1

PLEASE comment after the Ch4 programme not before, its hardly worth watching now. Not that any other result was expected , hence Ch4 coverage is good enough for me.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, micklner said:

PLEASE comment after the Ch4 programme not before, its hardly worth watching now. Not that any other result was expected , hence Ch4 coverage is good enough for me.

Don't read this thread until you've seen the repeats then, simple. 

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2

26 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Don't read this thread until you've seen the repeats then, simple. 

Even easier, you are on the ignore  mode.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

I don't tend to bother with the C4 Qualifying show. I normally keep an eye for the Qualifying Highlights to appear on F1 official YouTube channel. They normally get put up a few hours ahead of the C4 Highlights but today seemed to be up even sooner.

The YouTube version keeps things just to the main action at the end of Q1 and Q2 then showing both sets of runs in Q3. If there is anything else going on like someone crashing on their first run they show this. 

None of the waffle from DC n co about who could be on pole only for Crashappen to blitz everyone. 😅

• RMweb Gold

It was to be expected after Mr Beans synthetic moaning during the practice days.

I was going to watch the C4 coverage, then I checked the BBC F1 news just before the C4 broadcast and decided that there were better things to do this evening...

It'll be like last year, I'll keep an eye on the BBC reporting, and if it looks like it was "interesting", I'll watch the C4 highlights.

• Like 4

Spoilers - as a regular contributor to the various F1 threads over the years there has never been a "gentleman's agreement" over spoilers. It has been discussed before and the answer has always been "don't read the thread if you don't want to know the result". Indeed races are often discussed while they are still running with a lot more chat the second Max invariably crosses the line first.

I am baffled why someone's train of thought is "I've missed qualifying so will watch it later. What shall I do whilst I wait and try to avoid spoilers? I know, I'll go and read a F1 thread on a forum and then if anyone has dared to talk about F1 I will get upset".

By all means have the discussion again but just how long is a reasonable time to not talk about something that has already happened? After the race, after Ch4 has shown the highlights, after someone has watched the highlights on catch up? There will always be someone who doesn't know the result. The easy answer is don't read a F1 thread if you don't want to know what happened. 

No idea why I have to defend myself because someone decided the best way to avoid spoilers was to read a F1 thread....

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I was just going to say "Have they started yet?"

Ok, radio silence until the C4 highlights are over*...

* That is, when the cars stop running around, it's fair game once Coulthard starts cosying up to his mates!

Edited by Hroth

Well at least Simon Lazenby asked Coco Pops some awkward questions. But did I imagine an awkwardness between the two and CP didn't face the camera or look at Simon.