The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Premium

Alan Gow banned * I think* white from the BTCC grid about ten years ago and challenged the teams to have distinct liveries. They responded well and have continued to do so. Alas with management by committee you won't get that in F1.

Anyone else getting sick of Hamilton click bait headlines suggesting he will go to Ferrari for this season? Of course if you click them (which I never do) you'll find some weaselly wording to repeat what we already know that he goes next year.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SR71 said:

Alan Gow banned * I think* white from the BTCC grid about ten years ago and challenged the teams to have distinct liveries. They responded well and have continued to do so. Alas with management by committee you won't get that in F1.

Anyone else getting sick of Hamilton click bait headlines suggesting he will go to Ferrari for this season? Of course if you click them (which I never do) you'll find some weaselly wording to repeat what we already know that he goes next year.

A few BTCC teams have white as their base livery though

34 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Still too much black.

Is black a cheaper pigment?

I think Black is the basic Carbon Fiber with no colour additives, so is lighter. (even though its darker) Haha😅

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I think Black is the basic Carbon Fiber with no colour additives, so is lighter. (even though its darker) Haha😅

Don't they still sometimes need ballasting to bring them up to the minimum weight requirement though? But I supposed you can choose where to put the ballast for optimum balance, which you can't for paint.

We tend to think of paint as irrelevant in terms of weight but it does add up - leave the lid off a tin of paint until it all dries out and it's still noticeably heavier than an empty tin (although I'm sure most people here are better modellers than me who manage to keep the tin rims clean so that the lid goes on properly and they don't dry out!)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Seen the Merc launch earlier. 8/10 just about because it has a little bit of silver.😂

image.png.87255fc3c9a1a73d9a4ab64fa79e5855.png

That bit of red on the airscoop didn't convince Lewis?

Its about time that bright yellow front and rear aerofoils on ALL cars were mandated to improve visibility at corners, etc...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Don't they still sometimes need ballasting to bring them up to the minimum weight requirement though? But I supposed you can choose where to put the ballast for optimum balance, which you can't for paint.

I believe that used to be the case, but it was mentioned several times last year that the current regulations (hybrid engines, DRS, bigger wheels, halo, strength to pass crash tests) had made the cars heavier & teams, including Red Bull, were a little overweight.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

That bit of red on the airscoop didn't convince Lewis?

Its about time that bright yellow front and rear aerofoils on ALL cars were mandated to improve visibility at corners, etc...

yellow front ends?

it will never catch on

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

I believe Mclaren use vinyl stickers as it were rather than paint.

My lad can hear the Mclaren and Mercedes at Silverstone, but he can't get close enough to see.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well the Red Bull livery is a copy and paste of last year! Most years at minimum there is alteration in the stripes or some other colours in with the dark blue.

One less reason to like them. 

Jo

• Like 1

I wonder what the large bumps either side of the Airbox actually do ?? Newey wouldnt say .

The Front wing looks very vulnerable , slightest touch and it will be in space !! In fact the whole car looks flimsy!!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, micklner said:

I wonder what the large bumps either side of the Airbox actually do ?? Newey wouldnt say .

The Front wing looks very vulnerable , slightest touch and it will be in space !! In fact the whole car looks flimsy!!

Will the bumps be there next week in testing? Maybe their purpose is to throw off and create speculation away from the real changes.

Consensus from what I've read thus far is that the Red Bull launch car (particularly round the front) is likely to be different to the testing car. Several others (McLaren for one) are being coy about what they're not showing yet too.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 2

On Reddit they are suggesting that Newey is toying with the idea of Mercedes zero sidepod design - the one Mercedes just given up on to adopt the RB19 design.

Of course they could simply be trolling and it's not the car that will be at the first race of the year - that's really the only time we will know each cars true capability.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 14/02/2024 at 06:09, Andrew P said:

Seen the Merc launch earlier. 8/10 just about because it has a little bit of silver.😂

image.png.87255fc3c9a1a73d9a4ab64fa79e5855.png

The fade from silver to black is a lot more tasteful than whatever Alpine did with their car.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Verstappen would “never say never” to Hamilton-style Ferrari F1 move

Sebastian Vettel once said "Everybody's a Ferrari fan. Even if they are not, they are Ferrari fans. Even if you go to the Mercedes guys, even if they say 'oh yeah Mercedes is the greatest brand in the world', they are Ferrari fans”.

On 15/02/2024 at 23:03, Andrew P said:

Red Bull = 5/10 Would have been a 6 but I don't like Horner or Vestappen Snr.

image.png.015d4da190006c0696b45ef58330ea43.png

On 16/02/2024 at 08:29, micklner said:

The Front wing looks very vulnerable , slightest touch and it will be in space !!

It's so the driver has an aiming point when they go into a corner behind another car! ;)

• Like 2