The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

My reading is that FOM didn't want another team just using an existing supplier's engine. Adding value, in their terms, means a whole new package. Thus if GM commit to making a compliant engine, Andretti might pass muster. Let's not forget in recent years we have had some distinctly lacklustre engines from major names - this is hyper-hyper-tech! At one time AM were going to produce their own engine, but they have nothing like the resources to do that and be competitive, when at times even Honda and Renault have been producing down-on-power units. 

Again, the FIA, who determine the rules of the sport and can bar teams from not competing because they are not competitive enough (i.e. the 107% rule for qualifying), had no problem with the Andretti model. Look at how many teams with existing supplier's engines there are on the grid, it's not like one more would break the camel's back. 

Let's be honest, Andretti's rejection is about money and more specifically the 200m entry fee which one would have to say is a relative bargain considering the explosion of F1's popularity over the last few years. The existing teams don't want to lose money because of a new entry cutting into their prize money but that's what the entry fee is designed for in the first place. FOM and the teams want to delay Andretti until 2028 when a new Concorde Agreement is reached so they can jack up the entry fee to something like 600-800m as some team principals were saying a few months ago. Or FOM just says no to Andretti because they are a bunch of hillbillies and ignoring that they are one of the biggest names in motorsport history. FOM asked Cadillac if they would partner with any other team which shows how much FOM values Andretti. Remember, F1 is a cartel. They want American money but not American representation (as evidenced by how they half heartedly courted famed NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon in the mid 2000s. 

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I think the teams were concerned that they would effectively be giving Andretti and GM a leg up because they would be forced to supply them with a works engine from an existing manufacturer and so would gain valuable knowledge ahead of their own engine entry in a few years.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

I wonder if Norris is kicking himself for signing to McLaren too early? Sure, McLaren looked better in the 2nd half of 2023 but Mercedes is a works team...

I thought that, but his previous deal ran until the end of 2025 so wouldn't have been an option anyway?

• RMweb Gold

If they're dull too, perhaps the teams are cutting back on the graphic designers and investing in chassis design engineers instead?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Hroth said:

If they're dull too, perhaps the teams are cutting back on the graphic designers and investing in chassis design engineers instead?

Sounds immensely sensible, but sponsors want their name on eye-catching cars, so a balance is no doubt needed. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

As GS would no doubt put it "Don't be ^$*!@~ silly!"

Nah - that's not Gunther.

Not enough ******  ***** ********* ****** **** *****'s

• Funny 4