The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Premium

Reporting for duty! Hopefully a good season, basically it depends whether Merc can actually sort their stuff out I think...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ess1uk said:

I’ve heard the Red Bull has failed its first crash test

I have read the same, but this is pretty normal. When pushing for performance & lightness, you really do not want to be making your structure too heavy.

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I know what I'd prefer, but I'm not doing any guessing until I see the first couple of races...

I don't think Red Bull will be as dominant. There must be a theoretical maximum within any regulations & the closer to it you get, the more difficult it is to get a little more. Anyone copying their design may get closer but has little chance of beating them

I am hoping for some rule changes though. The stewards made some improvements to their application of track limits in 2023, but I do not think they have quite got there yet.

We saw some hastily applied & poorly thought out rules to prevent blocking during practise & qualy. These need to be refined.

We had a few qualy sessions ruined with yellow or red flags with some drivers benefitting from the timing of these. The opportunity to deliberately benefit from these is still there & I am suspicious every time it happens, so it needs to be blocked.

I also dislike safety car procedures. They were introduced to have a minimum impact on racing, not to allow teams to gain a strategic advantage, so every effort should be made to minimise their impact. Pitting behind them was not an option until cars started running out of fuel. Changing tyres during a red flag period is plain wrong too.

Apart from being more stringent on track limits  and the rules for blocking in qualy, I doubt they have the balls to make any other changes though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Surely next season can't be as boring as the last but I have a nagging fear it could be. RB were able to give up development of their car mid season as they were so far ahead and concentrate on next years car whilst the rest had to continue playing catch up so they may well already have a big head start.

Let's hope McLaren continue to improve and the Mercs can't be that bad yet again. As for Ferrari they'll start well then implode.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Surely next season can't be as boring as the last but I have a nagging fear it could be. RB were able to give up development of their car mid season as they were so far ahead and concentrate on next years car whilst the rest had to continue playing catch up so they may well already have a big head start.

Let's hope McLaren continue to improve and the Mercs can't be that bad yet again. As for Ferrari they'll start well then implode.

Other than when Todt was running them, Ferrari have been pretty consistent as a no2/3 team for the last 40 years. Alonso & Vettel were deluded if they believed they were the team to deliver them further world titles.

I wonder how much money any team were able to plunder into their 2023 car. The cap must have forced them to put on the brakes at some point. Merc effectively ran the 2nd half of the season with a hybrid design because they could not get shot of all their bad features.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

remember RB had the TR budget to play with too (and their higher wind tunnel time)

Plus the tea money... 🤪

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

FOUND IT = GREAT = NOW FOLLOWING.

So Predictions even before first Test, Yes I have a big pair, and putting them on the line. 😀

Constructors.

McLaren,

Merc,

RB,

Williams.

Drivers.

Hamilton,

Norris,

Vestappen,

Piastri,

Russell,

Albon,

Having said all that.

I still want to see Russell and Norris winning the Championship, 

I cant see Checho keeping his seat.

I can see Alfonso throwing his toys out of the pram.

I can see Sargent being replaced with Liam Lawson by May, leaving RB with a problem when Danny R moves back into the Hot Seat..

I can see me having Egg on my face at the  end of the year, Hahahaha.🤣

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 4

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

FOUND IT = GREAT = NOW FOLLOWING.

So Predictions even before first Test, Yes I have a big pair, and putting them on the line. 😀

Constructors.

RB,

Merc,

McLaren,

Ferrari.

Drivers.

Vestappen,

Hamilton,

Russell,

Perez,

Norris,

Piastri,

Fixed it for you 😁

• Funny 2

I think Max will walk the drivers championship again as even if it is closer with the other teams, only RB has a clear no1 driver. Both George and Oscar have shown they can finish races in front of their more illustrious team mates on a regular basis which is something that Perez is less capable of doing. The constructors will be tighter and if RB look like they won't win it, expect Perez to be out...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok, just ONE prediction.

If one or two other teams show competitive improvement, then Mr Bean will have his elbows out on all corners and woe betide anyone who gets in his way.  Oh yes, and Whinger will get shriller too.

• Agree 6

There was a recent story about Verstappen, he hired out a racetrack for himself and some friends but he wasn’t allowed to drive an AMG Mercedes because he was under 30 and the rental company couldn’t insure him.  

His manager had it instead and Verstappen had to make do with a lesser car.

The rental company said that in fact they could have made an exception but it goes to show that he was grown up enough not to make a big deal from it and just accept the situation.

He’s probably not the ar$e people imagine him to be.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If I were Verstappen's manager, I'd make sure his contract specified that he shouldn't drive on any track without express permission from Red Bull, least of all in an unfamiliar high-performance car with a Mercedes badge....

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

If I were Verstappen's manager, I'd make sure his contract specified that he shouldn't drive on any track without express permission from Red Bull, least of all in an unfamiliar high-performance car with a Mercedes badge....

But his manager does not work for RB and covering all the bases is clearly a good choice, I note he did not try a Ferrari.