Wheels and Couplers

Hello

I am new (well been 30 years), since I have modeled British.

I purchased some Hornby wagons, but they do not go well over my Atlas Code 100 points frogs). Does anybody make good replacement wheels (Bachmann ?)?

my second question. On my locos I want to use a link coupler for my Bachmann Class 24 OO, does any body make a good connector, if not how easy is it to add kadees?

Thanks

I haven't had any real problems with Hornby stock and Atlas points. However, both Atlas and Hornby have been around for a very long time and their standards have changed over the years, generally for the better/finer. How old are your Hornby wagons and Atlas points? I do notice that newer Hornby wagon wheels tend to drop a bit into the gap in the frog of older Atlas Code 100 No. 6 points. Is this the problem you are having?

Jay-Bee (Bennett Enterprises) make HO Euro type metal wheelsets with slightly shorter NEM axles to retrofit older European manufacturers stock. These are available through Walthers but will not do any good if you have the new wheel/old point problem I mentioned above.

As far as couplings are concerned, I assume you mean screw-link couplings as on the prototype. If you intend to use these for operation not just for show then it will require retrofitting all the stock concerned with metal versions because the cosmetic molded plastic coupling hooks on model buffer beams aren't very strong in my experience. Not to mention that you will need a steady hand and good eyesight to couple up. Depending on the age of your Bachmann loco, fitting Kadees is either a simple swap if it's a newer loco with NEM pockets (Kadees no.s 17 to 20) or an exercise with plasticard and whatever other of the tremendous range of Kadee couplers will fit in the space available.

Hi,

If your Hornby wagons are new, i am surprised they don't run over your Atlas code 100 frogs - what are the wagons and what (number?) are your points?

May i suggest either Romford, Gibson ( http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/ ) or Sharman wheels as replacements rather than Bachmann? Although i believe there may currently be a problem with obtaining Sharman wheels at the moment!

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/WHEELS_AND_FITTINGS.html is one possible source! BTW, make sure you order 00 wheelsets, not EM or 18.83(P4)!!!

As for link couplings, from the same source: http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/ROGER_SMITHS.html however, these are strictly for wagons (cars!)! A locomotive like a Bachmann class 24 should really have a Screw Link coupling rather than a 3 link or "instanter" coupling, something like "4M706B" would be most suitable and is available through the Alan Gibson website shown above!

I seem to recall from other threads/posts that you have been known to re-engineer US brass locos? If so, then fitting these should present no problems to you, but ask again if it does, please!

Finally - IF your class 24 is a recent version, it should have an NEM coupler pocket that the current tension lock coupler simply plugs into (& out of!). If this is so, you can easily fit one of the Kadee range of 17, 18, 19 & 20 NEM European style couplers (from memory a 19 should be most suitable).

Finally, finally - if you experience any difficulty obtaining these items, please drop me a PM as i ought to be able to help you out personally (hoping that you may be able to help me in similar manner with US outline stuff!!!).

Cheers,

John E.

Thanks for the advice,

I dug out my NMRA gauge and found the honrby wheels are set a little too close, so when they go though the switch they jump, it is an easy fix seeing the wheels side on the axle so, with a little adjustment, they work just fine.

I want to replace the plastic wheels with medal ones anyhow.

The sets of Hornby metal wheels are good replacements for Hornby plastic ones, and should be fine on Code 100. For Bachmann coaches I'd use their metal coach wheels.

I wouldn't suggest the finer wheels (Gibson etc) if you are running on Atlas Code 100.

Adrian

Archived