Photography at Dollands Moor

For many years I have photographed whatever happens to be in at Dollands Moor when passing. I've never encountered anyone or anything to prevent me from doing so, aside from fences and bridge parapets. On today's visit, I observed these notices attached to the fence. I wonder what the legal position is and whether DB would ever, in practice, take action.

Ed

IMG_7045.jpeg

Edited by South-East Rail
Correcting typos
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

As youve taken a picture of the no picture sign, youve already incurred their wrath…

careful where you sleep tonight they are hunting you down
😀

There are some places where photography is banned under government law, usually customs/immigration and military.

In the ghosts in the machine thread I found one such sign for EPS still exists on the platform at Kensington Olympia.

But if your in a public place, and its not subject to such restrictions then its lawful.
I guess if DB is land owner (or leasor) they can ban it, if your on their land… question is which side of the fence is the boundary, as the fence and boundary dont necessarily have to be the same… they may own the land both sides of the fence, in which case they could.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

As youve taken a picture of the no picture sign, youve already incurred their wrath…

careful where you sleep tonight they are hunting you down
😀

There are some places where photography is banned under government law, usually customs/immigration and military.

In the ghosts in the machine thread I found one such sign for EPS still exists on the platform at Kensington Olympia.

But if your in a public place, and its not subject to such restrictions then its lawful.
I guess if DB is land owner (or leasor) they can ban it, if your on their land… question is which side of the fence is the boundary, as the fence and boundary dont necessarily have to be the same… they may own the land both sides of the fence, in which case they could.

If it is banned at Dollonds Moor I think you will find, as it would have been at Kensington (O), that it is down to primary legislation in the shape of various security requirements things relating to the Channel Tunnel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fyi this is the sign at, at the motorail terminal car park, on the northbound platform at Kensington Olympia

I would have thought this nrm worthy given the failed dream..

43B5CB6A-0FA3-47E7-A160-A58AA65077FB.jpeg

Never stopped me taking a picture from this platform, though ive never seen an EPS service here either.

😀

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is the sign by the gate by any chance ?

(it refers to a gate), if so I’d translate it to being a message applicable beyond the gate, and stay outside the boundary, including not poking the camera through the fence.

Though obviously if someone more authoritive objected outside the gate i’d probably leave it unchallenged and move on, as Stationmaster said, Channel Tunnel has slightly different legislation.

Generally i’d not poke the beast, if there was a beast there, and not hang around if there wasnt much reason. It maybe a sign thats a bit live and let live.. they may have had aggressive photographers / journalists etc in the past and put it up to discourage loitering for long periods, but someone passing by taking a few pictures they may not care.

The main point is respecting the land owner.. if they own the land both sides of the fence, your on their land and its there rules.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1