MRJ 300

lambiedg

Kudos to Simon at Titfield Thunderbolt - ordered yesterday just before midday and it arrived this morning, less than 24 hours later.

I use them because supply is guaranteed and not having to get to my local WHS (13 miles away) and finding out that it's not on the shelf - several times. As an exercise in cost effectiveness, even paying the postage, a quick order to Bath wins every time.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Probably have it but with no other reason to go there it will be a faff having to drive into the zoo, sorry,  city centre, park etc,etc........

I think on this occasion it's going to be left until after Crimbo. 

Rob. 

Mr Castens will do Mail order I think? Edit - I've now just seen Coombe Barton's post above - he agrees!

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

Mr Castens will do Mail order I think? Edit - I've now just seen Coombe Barton's post above - he agrees!

Hi Chris, 

Yes, going forward, I'll be ordering from Simon. 

I've just read Geoff's lovely article on Bleddfa Road. Very enjoyable, visually a treat and having followed it's construction on Western Thunder, splendid to now  see it in MRJ. I have to say that I'm of the opinion that this article on Bleddfa will come to be regarded in the same vein as those on Pempoul, Hursley, Arun Quay, Ditchling Green, Orford and Monks Eleigh to name but a few. Certainly one I will be referring back to. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Smiffs?

I looked yesterday and thought it wasn't there - until I bent down even lower to finally locate it right at the back of the bottom shelf and therefore only visible to most people if they ae are either double jointed or lying on theh floor.  

Quite why they have done this I don't know and as the Branch Manager wasn't there I was unable to find out why it has been moved s far back on the shelf.  The local WHS branch used to sell about a dozen copies of every issue but it looks like they now don't want to sell any and prefer to give better places to some rather trashy looking glossy mags spinning yarns about today's railway or glossy 'specials' spinning even bigger, ill-informed, yarns.

• Friendly/supportive 2

One problem with ordering from Simon is that I get tempted to use the postage to get other things as well. This parcel came with a copy of the Golden Valley Railway by W H Smith (no, not that one) 

I met Simon at either Scaleforum or ExpoEM last year and I asked him what was new. He replied, "You've got most of it."

Quite - but it's keeping track of what I have got that's proving to be a problem.

• RMweb Gold

A most enjoyable issue, some cracking and inspiring modelling and very nice "write-ups" using proper English and that. Particularly enjoyed seeing the snaps of Mr Williams' Hereford project, and look forward to more on that. I notice no facilities for turning locos so presumably engines will depart and arrive "light" from an off-scene MPD.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 23/12/2023 at 17:25, burgundy said:

Just been reading this edition and it struck me that four of the articles would do credit to a jewellery magazine for the fineness of the metalwork on display!

Happy Christmas 

Eric 

Having had a 'plug' in that issue I am pleased.

Congratulations to the MRJ team for publishing the 300th edition of MRJ. I have managed and kept a copy of the 301 editions as an inspiration. I was 19 when 0 was first published and certainly inspired me to improve my modelling. It introduced a whole new world of suppliers (small) whose products could greatly enhance a model. It took many years before the main rtr manufacturers realised there was a market for something better. 

In the letters of MRJ300 there is correspondence on who now supplies materials sold by Eileens Emporium - back in the early days of MRJ the go to supplier of fine metal sections was "Flack" . All the best to Cambrian models for taking on the Eileens stock and all the best to MRJ and its team - looking forward to being inspired further in the future.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

We should also remember that Phil at Hobby Holidays has also been supplying the same materials and tools as John Flack, as well as EE did under Eileen and Jim Pitchforth and then Roger Sawyer. 

https://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/categories.php?cat=7

Sadly, in the later years EE seemed to discontinue stocking some items while also looking for other lines to sell, which were also normally readily available elsewhere.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Late to the party (was expecting to be able to pick up whilst away with work earlier in the month, but didn't manage it), but what an excellent issue. Geoff Kent's new layout looks as if it will be exquisite.

• RMweb Premium

I'm late to the party too, but thought it was one of the best issues I've seen for a long time. However, it seems the English has well and truly gone down the pan, with comma-splicing, missing apostrophes and dangling participles now seemingly the norm (these are all Key Stage 2 errors - i.e. points that children are expected to have mastered between the ages of 7 and 11). There were a few sentences in one article that I had to read several times. That's not the author's fault (they're modellers, not English teachers); the editor should be catching these things - and used to do so. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/12/2023 at 11:25, Michael Hodgson said:

I don't think I'll be going to Koala Lumpur just to buy a magazine!

No, but you could no doubt send a friendly marsupial on your behalf

• Like 2
  • Funny 2