N Scale swiss layout help

crazydrum95

Hi All,

I'm a relative newbie to the hobby, and want to build a layout in N, with continental/swiss models. I have only run trains on 1 'proper' layout in the past, which was a two level, 2 helix layout.
I'm trying to plan my new layout, but as a newbie without much experience, i'm struggling to put ideas together. I am also terribly slow at scarm so making designs is taking forever.

I've tried to categorize what i would like into needs & wants.

Need; to fit my space. Have already got some baseboards, 2100 x 800 & 2400 x 800 (mm), a fiddle yard for train storage

Want; Multiple levels, a bridge/viaduct, tunnels

Like; something intermodal or some interaction between road and rail. Some sort of construction scene

Don't want; Shunting/sidings, DCC

I've got pictures of the old layout i used which I will upload and link to later on. I'd like it to be similar, but not the same, and also try to incorporate some extra elements. There is also a popular layout here in the UK called 'swisspass' which is great and similar to what i am trying to achieve.

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

Thanks

3 hours ago, crazydrum95 said:

Want; Multiple levels, a bridge/viaduct, tunnels

Like; something intermodal or some interaction between road and rail. Some sort of construction scene

Have you considered something based on the construction of a new tunnel? Both Gotthard and Lotschberg routes have had substantial new base tunnels in recent times. There’s also the new Albula tunnel on the RhB for inspiration if something a little less vast is needed. 

The Lotschberg was particularly interesting because it made use of BLS Ae8/8 locos on the spoil traffic. Both the locos and tipping wagons are available in N. Lots of pics and videos to be found, including this one on Flickr: 

Mark

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Continuing the tunnel construction theme, the south portal of the Bözberg tunnel is a nice compact site on a bend with old and new tunnel mouths almost side by side. If you look on the current Google satellite view you can see something of the construction site arrangements. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You don’t say whether you have space for a “hole in the middle” circuit or if it’s got to be all in a line. If it’s the latter, then to achieve multiple levels you’ve probably got to resort to at least one helix at one end, if not both. I debated long and hard whether to incorporate a helix (on my HO layout), with the helix at one end to raise the track to a high level and then use a series of loops and curves to gradually bring the line back down (and up of course). I always look enviously at layouts that can achieve that, incorporating high level viaducts, such as Bieschtal on the Lötschberg Sud Rampe.

For interaction between road and rail, without taking up a lot of space, you could simply have a private siding to a timber yard, stone or concrete plant, or any kind of factory or warehouse (bottled beer or water, sugar beet etc). 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/06/2024 at 14:16, cornish trains jez said:

How is the layout coming along?

Hi

is your question directed at me? I don’t scour RMW all that often and there are so many open threads in this group, so, if it was, I apologise for not responding sooner. 
I’ve made decent progress with the baseboards over the first half of this year, I think. About 70% done perhaps on the basic benchwork and standard gauge trackbeds. I want to complete one short section of raised trackbed so that I’ll have a decent length of run on which to start laying track. 
On which subject, I have to admit that with such a long time having passed since I last laid track in anger in this scale, I’m a bit low on confidence, so I’ve been building baseboards partly as a means to putting off the need to get the Dremel and soldering iron out. But I really should get a reasonable length laid and electrified, so that I can enjoy running some trains backwards and forwards. 
The photo isn’t quite up to date, but shows on end of the layout, where part of the upper level trackbed is being tested for fit before the vertical supports are built. 

IMG_2873.jpeg.ec0e815cb858a560d9487b5f93042ec5.jpeg

• Like 4