Lima 87 pantograph replacement or alternative help

Hi all, I wonder if you could please help me with a finding a replacement or alternative for a class 87 lima make royal sovereign? When I bought it the pantograph was broken off. I thought I could use a Hornby class 86 pantograph but would have to drill new holes in the body. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks mike

Edited by kingfisher9147

The Lima roof struts for the pan base are (if I recall correctly) moulded somewhat short of the real thing, to suit their diamond pantograph, presumably.  However if you're prepared to shell out a few quid and do a few rooftop mods, you can get a spare current Hornby cross-arm pantograph, which is a reasonable facsimile of the real thing. 

https://www.petersspares.com/p/Hornby-x7259-class-87-pantograph-set-r3580

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, MJI said:

Judith Edge cross arm pantograph.

Accurate for 87

Only accurate for pre-c1984 class 87. The only Lima models of Royal Sovreign I can find are in swallow livery, which is post c1987.

If it is indeed in swallow livery, a BW pan would be correct. I have just tried my spare Heljan one with a Lima 87 body & as mentioned earlier, it will require drilling.

Heljan spares are available from Gaugemaster & I understand Bachmann also sell their BW pan although they do not advertise it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a note but whether by accident or by design but Heljans 86, Bachmanns 85, 90 and Hornbys array of AC (except the new 91) all have holes in the same position making it simple to swap about.

However for some unknown reason the fittings on the 91 are smaller, and you may find fit closer to the Lima 87.

tbh I wouldnt be afraid of hole drilling..

What i’d do it test fit your panto on the roof…

when certain on placment but a tiny dab of water based paint on the tip of the prongs, place on the roof… where the paint is is where to drill..

make a mess.. its water based paint.. wipe off and try again.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

However for some unknown reason the fittings on the 91 are smaller, and you may find fit closer to the Lima 87.

The pantograph for the real 91 has a smaller base than on other trains. The 91 has a narrower roof because it was designed to match the profile of the Mk4s, which have a skinnier profile than previous coaches because they were designed to tilt.

The Pendolino should also have a different pantograph for the same reason. The APT certainly does.

• Thanks 1

The Lima 87 bodyshell in true Lina fashion uses one of its standard pantographs which are closer to HO than OO.  This means the holes will not be spaced for an OO pantograph.  Just to give you an idea I have attached a few photos to give a better idea.  The pantograph with the Orange tip pan is a Hornby class 91 the next is an APT pantograph followed by an oversized Heljan class 86 pantograph.  The last one with the blue insulators is a marklin pantograph which is HO scale and the closest fit.  Your best bet would be to look for an old HO Lima body with pantograph or possibly a somefeldt pantograph or a marklin one which as you can see is a close fit   (Just as an extra reference the marklin pantograph in the picture is 7208) which should be available as a spare part.)

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_1269.jpeg

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1272.jpeg

Edited by NS Peak
Fixing autocorrect and added the marklin par number
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1