Gaugemaster Infinity

The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

Had a delivery from Gaugemaster the other day, and enclosed was a leaflet about their upcoming 'Infinity' system.  This appears, if I'm understanding it correctly, to be a move up from the Hornby HM6000 for DC layouts, in that the same system can be used for both DC and DCC layouts, though of course the actual functions are the same.  Also, it has a knob, something I have now decided I find preferable to phone-app screen sliders.

It occurs to me that, if the system can be used to control both DC and DCC, then it could concieveably be used to control both on the same layout at the same time.  To use a DCC loco or locos you would have to stable your DC locos behind isolating sections, and set up a route for the DCC move, but it may be capable of removing what I think is one of the major obstacles to the adoption of DCC by DC layout owners with large fleets of locos to be converted at once, especially a some older locos may be difficult to install chips in.   Of course, one can do this trick of stabling DC locos and setting routes for DCC movements anyway, one always could, but this combines the two in a single handheld unit. 

If this is correct (and I may not have understood the leaflet fully), it will also remove the need for an early decision regarding DCC adoption for new layouts. 

The next question is cost; the leaflet had no prices for any of the items.

Your expert comments and advice will be welcomed, collective!

These wireless DC systems tend to be regular DCC decoders equipped with a radio link driving the track operated by a remote controller. Hornby HM6K certainly is.

This new DCC  system seems to be a simple wireless link instead of the curly wire from the handset to a DCC controller which is talking to the track as normal.

5 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

These wireless DC systems tend to be regular DCC decoders equipped with a radio link driving the track operated by a remote controller. Hornby HM6K certainly is.

This new DCC  system seems to be a simple wireless link instead of the curly wire from the handset to a DCC controller which is talking to the track as normal.

There are two versions, a DC and DCC system ;)

Both very expensive, with neither in the cheap bracket