CAOLISPORT (1980's railway operations)

Clagmeister

Thanks chaps. What ever I do I've got to take my time and pick/do the right thing. Caolisport is great but.......... having spent the majority of it concentrating on operations and doing it properly, it turns out that even loco hauled 37/4 stuff can get boring. Theres only so many times you can run a 37 in, run round and leave again without it getting a little dull.

I like the idea of setting standards higher and doing something on the side. Might even try some modelling.

cheerio

Hi Mike,

Glad to see you're still alive. I was beginning to wonder too. :D

I think variety is the key, for most people anyway. I've been trying to stick to around 1986 on Waverley West but I don't really have the inclination to stick to it slavishly. That's why I bought a Heljan Kestral not long ago and have stock ranging from 1980 through to 1990, as you know. In that time Waverley changed more than you might think, but it doesn't really bother me. Sometimes I just need to run some trains without thinking too much about it.

I think Gary's advice about avoiding half-finished projects is good too. Satisfaction at completing something I'm pleased with is part of the motivation for me I think.

Now here's a radical thought - how about making Caolisport roundy-roundy? It might sound a bit radical (and difficult possibly) but sometimes I just like to sit down by the rural bit of Waverley West and watch the trains go by without worrying about timetables or anything. With your scenery it would be good too.

Cheers,

Dave

PS Get in touch when you're free!

Hi Mike,

I find if i have lost interest, a small project is just the thing. A wagon kit normally does the job. There must be a few wagons you could build, even if you don't paint it or put transfers on straight away.

What about a short balllast train have you got one of those?:D

Cheers Peter.

I like this,

The way you think out the operations gives it some real credibility - a sense of realism you don't often get. I like to think even the smallest layout I do the actual movements have some purpose (even in 7' !)

Also a fan of the west highlands - although I missed the large logo era, having said that the trips I made to FW in 97/98/99 were pretty good. Transrail 37/4s, 37403 in green, dutch 37/0s, EWS 37s and that 37 still in intercity (37510 ?). Combined with the jacobite, scenery and hiring a mountain bike to see the surrounds it was a good time.

Also the trip freights with slurry/paper/timber around corpach, seriously nostalgic when you look at the traffic on the line now :(.

Off into the loft HOOORAY, got a Speedlink to handle in the yard. Will post pics soon.

Claggy

Now that's what's been missing form the forum this year.

If your thinking of a PW train, I have a few Cambrian kits I will be building in the next few weeks, so I feel a blog coming up, so you can see how I get on.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

post-7043-0-13276100-1296916388_thumb.jpg

post-7043-0-02116700-1296916727_thumb.jpg

Off into the loft HOOORAY, got a Speedlink to handle in the yard. Will post pics soon.

Claggy

Hi Claggy,

Good to see your back, even if your only dabbling at the moment .... Oh the sound of 114 climbing up there on the ballast! Lol!

I must admit, my interest has been there in abundance lately, only problem is so has work!!! However, finally managed to get a couple of hours with the video camera over the weekend, and filmed Clifford Road a little for the first time (08 and 20s feature on it - saving the LL 37 for the next installment!!) - just added it to my topic. Must say it came out really really well. Perhaps something around that kind of thing may work, its hands on, completely different, and if you don't like it you simple erase the tape and haven't spent any money!!!

Welcome back anyway - your route knowledge must go far and wide these days!

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Superb layout. Read the whole thread and love the pics. Funny to see some of the fleet (404,407,423) that comes thru meanach (half way between tulloch and Newtonmore 87-88) getting about doon yer way. Just wish I had that space as meanach is only 12ftt with 2 x 5 foot L sections leading to fiddle yard. Have you built a mk1 or mk2 micro buffet yet?

• Like 1

Superb layout. Read the whole thread and love the pics. Funny to see some of the fleet (404,407,423) that comes thru meanach (half way between tulloch and Newtonmore 87-88) getting about doon yer way. Just wish I had that space as meanach is only 12ftt with 2 x 5 foot L sections leading to fiddle yard. Have you built a mk1 or mk2 micro buffet yet?

No I havn't. Don't really go for that kind of thing. As long as its got the right reporting number and looks about right, that will do me.

Any pics of you're layout?

Just as a matter of interest for anyone. Worked back over the highland mainline from Inverness with 2X47's in tandem and 6 air con Mk2s on Friday. I had 47712 the rear engine to Perth and then 47802 to Carlisle. Heavy snow etc etc. All the way I was thinking "its almost the clansman, its almost the clansman". Probably the best day ever on the railway. I know its not really relevant here but its what I've been doing instead of modelling.

Waiting at Carbridge for the sleeper to rush through, hence the blurred front end

post-7043-0-30028900-1300027854_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 2

hi mike

where was my invite for a cab ride?? would of loved a ride up to inverness and back to perth in my fave loco.

maybe next time your passing!!

Carl

No I havn't. Don't really go for that kind of thing. As long as its got the right reporting number and looks about right, that will do me.

Just as a matter of interest for anyone. Worked back over the highland mainline from Inverness with 2X47's in tandem and 6 air con Mk2s on Friday. I had 47712 the rear engine to Perth and then 47802 to Carlisle. Heavy snow etc etc. All the way I was thinking "its almost the clansman, its almost the clansman". Probably the best day ever on the railway. I know its not really relevant here but its what I've been doing instead of modelling.

Waiting at Carbridge for the sleeper to rush through, hence the blurred front end

cheerio

Claggy

hi mike

where was my invite for a cab ride?? would of loved a ride up to inverness and back to perth in my fave loco.

maybe next time your passing!!

Carl

cheerio

Claggy

• 2 weeks later...

47802 fave loco or 47712? 47802 couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

We have the Northen Belle now, so will be up your way again from time to time. Plus I'm working the Easter Highlander up there with a pair of tractors on the 22nd April. Getting relief at Perth.

cheerio

Claggy

Hi Claggy,

Thought I hadn't seen your updates for a while - glad to see your still about on here and you certainly are lucky in your job! Will have to keep an eye out on my days off in case you are on any runs into Edinburgh. I very occaisionally see the DRS working on the Carstairs to Edinburgh line with the Torness flasks - it was in a nice morning mist the other day just about to go through near Kirknewton with 2 66's on it. You know I have quite an interest in the DRS fleet and whilst your playing with the real ones I am probably running mine on Rannoch! 37229 has been a regular since I fitted it with Digitrains sounds on a Zimo decoder. 37 423 will be next for a chip!

Hope to see you updates again soon.

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 months later...

47802 fave loco or 47712? 47802 couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

We have the Northen Belle now, so will be up your way again from time to time. Plus I'm working the Easter Highlander up there with a pair of tractors on the 22nd April. Getting relief at Perth.

cheerio

Claggy

hi mike

class 47 in general. but 57011 is my fave DRS loco, love a ride in her....lol

how are things with you? not seen you on for ages, hows the layout going?

carl

post-6809-0-02958400-1306956243_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What’s happened to Claggy, has he been put in the WNXX pool? :huh:

Hopefully not

Gary

Hi all,

To answer on behalf of Claggy, I think he's been so busy working on the real railway this year that he's lost a bit of his "modelling mo-jo", not to mention time to do it in.

Will see if I can track him down.

Cheers,

Dave

Here I am. Spent a week in Ardnamuchan last week. Did the new evening 'Sundowner' Jacobite. Saw some 37's at Fort William. Visited Glenuig(NICE) and am basically re booted. Got my Cal mac ferry fix although didn't get to see Finalggan.

Also my final 37/4 arrived 37401 in mainline livery (also nice)

Track needs cleaning so just did a depot start up clip for youtube, here it is. Hope you like

37404 starts up at Caolisport depot with the sound of screaming gulls behind then moves off towards Achaoish Junction to work the early SLK to Mossend. Also to be seen on shed are 37401 in mainline livery, 37423 in metals sector livery and 37425 in large logo behind.

cheerio back soon

Claggy

Hi Claggy

good to see you back. I was up on the West coast a month ago, we had “interestingâ€weather.

Didn't get to Glenuig this time, but scored another ferry.

http://www.rmweb.co....ee-to-add-more/

Spent a lot of time at Bridge of Orchy taking snaps for a future project.

http://www.rmweb.co....orchy-1985-ish/

And it looks like a change of scale.

http://www.rmweb.co....other-newcomer/

Looking forward to an update soon

Gary

In response to Waverleys thoughts.

Yes I have been busy on the railway, spent the day going up and down the KWVR the other day for a Northern Belle photo shoot with our new freshly painted 47790. Also have started learning HELENSBURGH UPPER for the Northern Belle. Thats like being given the keys to a chest full of treasure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oban and Fort Bill only a hop and a skip away now.

Claggy

• Like 2

Hi Claggy,

nice to see you back on here, good vid too, your class 37/4s do sound good. Can't blame you for not playing model trains being as you have been busy with the real thing. Sounds like you have been getting a bit of route knowledge.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Also have started learning HELENSBURGH UPPER for the Northern Belle. Thats like being given the keys to a chest full of treasure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oban and Fort Bill only a hop and a skip away now.

Claggy

Nice road to learn indeed - you should be able to correct Ian Futers' track plans in RM.