Speaker advice: ESU V4 speaker or Megabass

philsandy

I'm looking to change the sugar cube speakers in some of my steam locos with something that has more bass. The volume is not the issue, there just seems to be no depth to the sound.

I have several ESU 25 x 16 x 7 mm 4 ohm speakers that came with the ESU V4 micro decoders. Do these have a decent bass sound? or would I be better with something like a Megabass speaker 25 x 25 x 7. or a 27 x 27 x 13?

The locos have tenders with the decoders fitted in the loco body, so will fit the speakers in the tender, using a 2 pin plug/socket from decoder wires to speaker wires.

The advice I've seen, use the "biggest" speaker that will fit the available space, which is best, a speaker that is say, 13mm deep but smaller L x W, than one that is 7mm deep?

Any advice please.

Edited by philsandy
add

I would always try to fit the biggest speaker I could into a loco (Always Diesels ) but I would always try them out on a decoder tester beforehand. 

I would place the chosen speaker under the removed bodyshell before making a judgement. 

You'll find different speakers suit different sound projects .

I've used EM2 's in lots of class 37's and while some are great , others are not so great.

It all depends on the sound project chosen .

The ability to now adjust the bass and treble sounds on ESU chips might help things further. 

HTH

Albie 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1