Matt's wagon detailing workbench - Engineers Wagons

Thanks for the comments!

Just to follow on from yesterday's post, I managed to bend up some brake levers to the approximate shape and, by combining them with the plastic parts, come up with something that looks reasonable.

I can't do much more now until I paint the underframe - I'll never be able to paint it properly with the body in place. The end chains can't be added until the body is secure either. I'm not really in a painting mood at the moment though!

Matt

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Same solution I've resorted to recently, combining kit parts and etched for lifting-link brakes (Chivers in my case). I don't think there are any stand-alone etches providing those useful bits available?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 41516 said:

Same solution I've resorted to recently, combining kit parts and etched for lifting-link brakes (Chivers in my case). I don't think there are any stand-alone etches providing those useful bits available?

Depending on which bits you need, Ambis is the place to go.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

Lots of Ambis bits in stock, but I'd just like a sheet of fold-over links to mix and match with whatever levers and other bits I might be using.

image.png.acd6cbf33daa8a2f295b7838f1a8a6a5.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Matt's wagon detailing workbench - OAA
Posted (edited)

Useful info about the Ambis lifting link parts - thank you @Enterprisingwestern and @41516. I agree though, those parts on their own would be handy!

About 12 months ago [actually it was longer] I started upgrading a Hornby OAA - I know you can get fancy new ones, but I enjoy upgrading older models and kits - this soon fell by the wayside as many of my projects do.

A recent sort out unearthed it, along with a second Hornby body, so I've decided to resume where I left off.

This was the starting point - a wonderfully unprototypical livery and as much as I like it, and it has local relevance, it had to go!

If you search online for info about upgrading Hornby OAA's, most of it directs you in the same way - use spare Cambrian SPA solebars and then cobble everything else together which is exactly what I plan to do.

05I'm also working on upgrading a Bachmann Queen Mary brake van and at least one Cambrian Catfish - although not much to show yet.

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

The Mermaid is looking superb Matt, how did you bend the brake levers and keep them flat? 

Thanks Steve, I heated them up then bent them - all guesswork shape wise though.

Worked better than expected!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

Both OAA's are now at the same stage. Next I need to figure out how to do all the linkages etc so will need to do some research and find some more photos.

Another upgrade is also on the cards - again an old one from Cambrian. 6 - 7 years ago I built one of these - it was one of the first kits I'd built where I'd put a bit more effort in. There were a couple of areas I wasn't pleased with and as a result it never got painted.

My first plan was to dismantle this wagon but, for such a notoriously flimsy wagon, mine was incredible robust and dismantling caused irreparable damage. 

Fortunately, I have a spare kit to use and I will be attempting to build this second kit along similar lines to the Mermaid. If successful, I probably will build a couple more of them.

Matt

• Like 3

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Matt's wagon detailing workbench - OAA's, Catfish and a Queen Mary

This one has been hidden in a drawer for ages and it's another old one being upgraded. I bought this Bachmann Queen Mary really cheaply and in a damaged state quite a while ago now and always intended on rebuilding it.

The bogies will need replacing, as will the entire chassis/underframe because it's broken.

I'm intending on representing one of the replated vans.

This one may take a while because it's more of a novelty item for a bit of fun.

Matt

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

The old Queen Mary has returned to her storage box for the time being. I'm unhappy with the bogies so may revert back to the RTR originals, but can't face working on them at the moment.

Bit more recycling is on the cards though! I first built this Parkside Grampus in 2006, finally got around to painting it in 2011, then stashed it away and forgot about it after a house move.

5 years ago I rediscovered it, stripped the paint, then put it back into storage again.

I really enjoy recycling and refurbishing older models so thought it'd make a nice quick[ish] project!

The underframe parts had become pretty brittle over the years, and disintegrated pretty much as soon as I got it out. Undeterred, I've rebuilt as much as I can using a mix of scratchbuilt and spare parts. Note that the total outlay so far is £0, and I want to keep it that way so I can live with any errors [i.e buffers].

This isn't the most inspiring photo, but hopefully gives an idea of some of the work so far. The body and ends really are a delightful bit of moulding by Parkside.

I've got another two of these planned, but both will be unfitted versions.

Matt

• Like 4

True there are minor differences (the axle mounted discs may have something to do with the smaller diameter wheels) but the basic arrangment of the distributors, load sensors, frame and brake levers arrangement is the same. With this, some photos and a G.A. drawing of the OAA it should be possible to work out how to upgrade the Hornby model. There is also a good OAA drawing in "An Illustrated History of BR Wagons" (OPC) though this can still help supplement because of the plan view.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

There is also a good OAA drawing in "An Illustrated History of BR Wagons" (OPC) though this can still help supplement because of the plan view.

Thanks for that. I have this book and I'd never noticed the drawing before!

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Matt's wagon detailing workbench - Engineers Wagons

Hello all,

The Grampus I posted a while ago is now completed. Just to recap, this is a really old model - originally built in 2006. Years in boxes meant the plastic - especially the underframe parts - had gone pretty brittle. For no real reason, I decided to rebuild it as an addition to my engineers fleet.

Firstly the good parts: I spent no money up-front on this model - all the replacement parts had either been accumulated from a variety of sources or scratchbuilt.

The less good parts: the brake levers are too short and the lifting link parts are representative at best. The buffers also came from the spares box.

02 03

Despite these shortcomings, I think it looks the part and I'm very pleased with it.

Matt

• Like 7