Dapol Class 323 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

I can't see the images on the Dapol digest in sufficient resolution to see if this is something that's been fixed or not. 

Whilst a small detail, as someone around these light clusters every day it immediately jumped out at me. 

The CAD has a raised lip around the edge of them, whereas the edge should be flush, with a groove around the front face of the cluster. (Ignore the lower right, these are the newest LED replacements).

InCollage_20221105_175217855.jpg.ea26ff49f8ae0aa46bff3ecbd3ea2e78.jpg

Other manufacturers have also fallen into this trap, including the popular Hattons / Accurascale 66 for one. 

As an aside, there are no WIPAC light clusters, they are all made by BMAC, whether the older filament bulb or newer LED style.

WIPAC supplied the actual light in certain BR applications (including some of the BMAC clusters, and the square yellow high intensity lights on 37s etc).

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Would it be possible to alter the shapes of the tight lock coupler on the front end ?, the shape doesn’t look quite right, as revolution trains are doing the class 321 emu in 00 gauge, the shapes of their tight lock coupler look correct and both the class 321 and 323 use the same tight lock coupler.

2 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

I have posted some more CAD and livery images on the Dapol Digest.

Click here!

On the Northern blue and white livery, the font for the website and "Download our app" should be VAG Rounded. I also note that the coloured "n" bubbles are ovals instead of circles too, and the Google Play and App Store symbols are too small.  The "NORTHERN" text on the logo itself is too small; as the real liveries do wildly vary with the size of this text, I would suggest checking photos of the train itself to get a better idea of the scale.

On the ex-FNW Northern version, the northern logo should be the underlined version which was used at the launch of the franchise.

Hope these little bits of feedback are of use to you.

• Like 3

I am more than happy to say 3 of these are pre-ordered.

However, I am very unsure on the Dcc Sound, The 323 has one of (If not the) most complex sounds to replicate. DTG whom does train simulator had 3 tries to get it right before they managed to actually achieve correct Audio for a game ... 

With this in mind I've only bought 1 DCC Sound the other 2 will be DCC Ready.

Nothing worse than buying a actually stunning model and being let down with a crappy or basic sound file.

I see im not the only person to purchase a 3 car kit.

This emu has been long desired across the Scales. Because of this and the promise of a Lm and NSE 321 in OO. I have not jumped down too N gauge! 

Perhaps wishfully thinking, Bachmann may just follow up with an upscale of there 319. And even better still 313 to 315s... for once future is 🌞 bright 🌞 

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Northern323 said:

However, I am very unsure on the Dcc Sound, The 323 has one of (If not the) most complex sounds to replicate. DTG whom does train simulator had 3 tries to get it right before they managed to actually achieve correct Audio for a game ...

While you are 100% right in bringing the complexity up, as it is indeed a tough old sound to get right, I'd say there is a good element of incompetence when it comes to DTG and sound.

Even on a good day sound is usually the weakest element of DTG releases, hence why there is such a market for the 3rd party sound packs from the likes of Armstrong Powerhouse 😉

But yes, fingers crossed the sound profile for 323s fully captures the really interesting sounds of the units. That would set them off perfectly 👌

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

I have posted some more CAD and livery images on the Dapol Digest.

Click here!

Looks great to my non-expert eye Adam. It's a bit of a shame that the interiors are low relief but I guess this is necessary due to the mechanism used?

Also, are the liveries announced the final, definitive ones for the first run? I was pleased to see the Barbie liveried one and I was going to pre-order it when I noticed it was the later "Northern" branding; not the "First" branding. Is there any chance of adding a First branded one to the offerings? For a c2003 modeller like myself, it would be a good fit.

Thanks,

Vic.

The last passenger working of a Cross-City 323 happened yesterday evening, all that remains in the West Midlands is a staff runabout on Friday next week to send the type off respectfully. 

They were great workhorses and I daren't imagine the miles I covered on them.  I'm intrigued to calculate that now....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

The last passenger working of a Cross-City 323 happened yesterday evening, all that remains in the West Midlands is a staff runabout on Friday next week to send the type off respectfully. 

They were great workhorses and I daren't imagine the miles I covered on them.  I'm intrigued to calculate that now....

They're not dead yet! Stronger than ever in Manchester now we have the goldies too.

On 28/09/2024 at 12:51, 'CHARD said:

I did the Class 323 Farewell tour on Sunday.  It was a great day out.

I saw that they were doing some sound recording on it.  I wonder how much useful recording they got with the additional horn use 😄

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2024 at 13:01, Mol_PMB said:

They're not dead yet! Stronger than ever in Manchester now we have the goldies too.

Get your pictures of the WMT liveries units as they are going one at a time to Wolverton for repainting.IMG_5394.JPG.dc013ff0a7019c2390f5d66a2697c551.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Peter749 said:

Get your pictures of the WMT liveries units as they are going one at a time to Wolverton for repainting.

Can't happen soon enough. No more will that hideous livery blight the 323s! 😄

• Agree 1