57xx Pannier Tank Family, By Accurascale

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Let's not go there.  It's basically the same old question as the correct shade of blood & custard Mk 1 stock, and photos taken in different lighting conditions and colour film emulsions.

I mean respectfully... I'm making the enquiry to help with a model purchase decision. Nor was I 100% sure which time period L94 was supposed to be represented in? In the same manner that I've always thought the EWS maroon was slightly too bright too. If Mcc or the accurascale don't want to comment until they have final samples... so be it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Wondering if by any chance a license with studio canal could have been worked out for 5775 in GN&SR...

That said, the Bachmann one sat around for ages (have one picked up for a song, now listed silly money online). The Dapol O gauge one didn't sell fast.

I might be a market of 1. Want to make one just for me? 

I dunno. I have a fair number of panniers, including two LT examples. On the other hand, only one (an LT one) has sound. In addition, it looks as if Accurascale will model the detail variations of the LT ones. Then again, I saw the GN&SR one being painted at Shildon. It comes down to what else is claiming my money when these emerge. Whilst I dither over these, I have ordered three Buckjumpers. That’s because I haven’t any Buckjumpers. It’s the same story when it comes to 37s, 47s and even 25s. The latest models tempt but I haven’t got any because I already have plenty and other models claim my money. As Voltaire didn’t say, the good is the enemy of the best.

The LT version was one I could not let pass me by, so L94 with sound has been pre-ordered. I can't stretch to getting both models, unfortunately, unless I win the Lotto.

I already have Bachmann's L89 and L91, with L91 actually being the body from an older split chassis version, fitted with a newer DCC-ready chassis, so L94 will complement these other two nicely. Additionally, I have only recently ordered the upgrade bits for the older models for the trip cock gear from Kim Durose/12A Models, so the differences between them will be a little less obvious. I did do some modifications to the cab roofs on the Bachmann models, but I hope the Accurascale model won't stand them up too badly with it's even finer and more accurate detailing. The A/S model is definitely a must-have for me, though, regardless. 

It will be interesting to see how the shade of red compares, seeing as the two Bachmann models have entirely different shades anyway, with the older one being considerably darker than the newer one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Delta_Who said:

I mean respectfully... I'm making the enquiry to help with a model purchase decision. Nor was I 100% sure which time period L94 was supposed to be represented in? In the same manner that I've always thought the EWS maroon was slightly too bright too. If Mcc or the accurascale don't want to comment until they have final samples... so be it.

I think you have to see it in the flesh to judge the actual shade.  So perhaps if you can get to a show where they have a stand with at least a pre-production sample.  As it's an exclusive you'll not get to see it at your local retailer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Delta_Who said:

They look nice! However slightly confused about the colour? In the images, they seem to come off as this cherry red?

image.png.e799aa0951f4c07202f81af08aa41441.png

Which seems fine for the active time period of service...

image.png.d606cde09f82393e3dafd638d3b34841.png

But in preserved condition, they seem to be painted in a tad darker shade?

image.png.86d3587978937c7a96e14ddcdeeba10f.png

image.png.85dd28a8112c2c88f1b0a47bf87810bd.png

Obviously paint matching is a tricky business, and Accurascale often opts for a more satin premium finish. However the Bachmann renditions seemed closer to me?

image.png.a6cc4272be2e0a384abaf46dd2571e53.png

The one in service condition is displaying the normal tendency of red paints of the era to fade quite rapidly, eventually to something more resembling pink.

I had a 1968 Renault 10 that had started off roughly LT red, and did exactly that, but only on one side because the original owner had always parked it the same way round....

If you put two model LT Panniers together and the shades don't quite tally, rejoice; it's realistic!

John

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

.... and my wallet had successfully resisted the temptation to buy a green pannier.

I suspect I'll end up ordering L94 though.

One of these is a terrible temptation because I have fired 7752 (back in the 1980s and I might still have the bruised shins to prove it!)

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Fantastic choice and I've no doubt it'll be a superb locomotive.

Thing is, for me, I've so many I own and like, and several (mostly A/Scale I may add) on preorder, and that I really like my original Bachmann 57xx, much as I'd love to order one, I can hold off .... for now!!

(Still holding out for that Class 40 tbh !!  LOL!)

Al.

7 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The one in service condition is displaying the normal tendency of red paints of the era to fade quite rapidly, eventually to something more resembling pink.

I had a 1968 Renault 10 that had started off roughly LT red, and did exactly that, but only on one side because the original owner had always parked it the same way round....

If you put two model LT Panniers together and the shades don't quite tally, rejoice; it's realistic!

John

Even then, isn't that just another way of saying that the shade is too bright for what it actually is?

And look, I acknowledged. If you're modelling with the intent of depicting 1950-1970... the shade of maroon is completely fine. Even when you take into account the soot and the age of the photos, you can clearly see the shade is closer to what Accurascale have. Great.

But the preserved LT liveries... do tend to be a bit darker or inconsistent. Something Rapido also acknowledged with Met 1.

image.png.c78f8b0418d0892fde8acc8aa399bd0b.pngimage.png.186bd9313f83d19b601759138743f28c.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Delta_Who said:

Even then, isn't that just another way of saying that the shade is too bright for what it actually is?

And look, I acknowledged. If you're modelling with the intent of depicting 1950-1970... the shade of maroon is completely fine. Even when you take into account the soot and the age of the photos, you can clearly see the shade is closer to what Accurascale have. Great.

But the preserved LT liveries... do tend to be a bit darker or inconsistent. Something Rapido also acknowledged with Met 1.

image.png.c78f8b0418d0892fde8acc8aa399bd0b.pngimage.png.186bd9313f83d19b601759138743f28c.png

My point is, though, that two in-service locos, painted (say) two or three years apart, won't have looked the same as one another.

The regularly-exposed side of my car had gone from near-enough LT maroon, to almost pink, in just seven years outdoors, and must have been well on the way to that in five.

1950s/1960s paint pigments (especially reds) just weren't stable when subjected to sunlight and/or air pollution. Rail Blue was at least as bad, with the additional factor of corrosive "cleaning" materials. I remember late-70s depot visits where at least half a dozen "shades" were in evidence. 

Preserved locos will be much more consistent in shade, simply because modern paint is better and various ingredients in what was used back in the day, are now prohibited. Also, of course, they spend less time outdoors, so any change that does occur will be much slower.

Whether one's aim is to portray a realistic 1960s scene or an idealised version with everything in ex-works condition, (more resembling the preservation era, where locos, especially, are cossetted) is a matter of personal choice. If the first, consistency of shade is the not something to fret about!

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

One would very much hope the shade of red at least matches Rapido and Heljan in their recent LT releases (and having just had Met 1 next to Sarah Siddons the colours are very close) Otherwise this will be a real shame.

In that regard there should be no room for subjectivity by Accurascale.

Maybe they can comment?

PXL_20240909_1927425112.jpg.e0eeead9a908a29ddafb563253a955e6.jpg

PXL_20240909_192759108~2.jpg

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/09/2024 at 22:44, Delta_Who said:

I mean respectfully... I'm making the enquiry to help with a model purchase decision.

Given none of the broad range of model photos are particularly close to any of the broad range of prototype photos, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question.

• Like 1

Absolutely no need for one of these. But just couldn't resist a sound fitted L94! So duly ordered one!

Will reserve judgement when I have seen it in the flesh on the colour! I am assuming this release has been licensed by TfL? 

7 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

My point is, though, that two in-service locos, painted (say) two or three years apart, won't have looked the same as one another.

The regularly-exposed side of my car had gone from near-enough LT maroon, to almost pink, in just seven years outdoors, and must have been well on the way to that in five.

1950s/1960s paint pigments (especially reds) just weren't stable when subjected to sunlight and/or air pollution. Rail Blue was at least as bad, with the additional factor of corrosive "cleaning" materials. I remember late-70s depot visits where at least half a dozen "shades" were in evidence. 

Preserved locos will be much more consistent in shade, simply because modern paint is better and various ingredients in what was used back in the day, are now prohibited. Also, of course, they spend less time outdoors, so any change that does occur will be much slower.

Whether one's aim is to portray a realistic 1960s scene or an idealised version with everything in ex-works condition, (more resembling the preservation era, where locos, especially, are cossetted) is a matter of personal choice. If the first, consistency of shade is the not something to fret about!

so if you are producing a model of a loco in preserved condition, or a historic model in ex-works (rather than weathered with previous BR Black showing through), you need to match to an appropriate LT Maroon as close as possible.

Faded pink does not cut it on a pristine preserved loco

3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

One would very much hope the shade of red at least matches Rapido and Heljan in their recent LT releases (and having just had Met 1 next to Sarah Siddons the colours are very close) Otherwise this will be a real shame.

In that regard there should be no room for subjectivity by Accurascale.

Maybe they can comment?

PXL_20240909_1927425112.jpg.e0eeead9a908a29ddafb563253a955e6.jpg

PXL_20240909_192759108~2.jpg

Exactly. I think the current shade is perfect for L91. Not 100% sure about L94. On closer examination, I appreciate the subtle differences Accurascale have put between the 2!

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

so if you are producing a model of a loco in preserved condition, or a historic model in ex-works (rather than weathered with previous BR Black showing through), you need to match to an appropriate LT Maroon as close as possible.

Faded pink does not cut it on a pristine preserved loco

Who suggested that? Accurascale make numerous versions of their locos, and there will be demand for more than just ones in showroom condition.

The fact that a loco is preserved does not preclude also offering an "in service" version carrying the same number.

Yes, you need to know what the colour starts out as and apply that to the pristine models, but a weathered version will be much easier to achieve if you produce a toned-down / faded base coat for that model.   

Even for the "perfect" versions, though, the factor of "scale colour" must also be considered. The exact prototype shade, if applied to a model, will appear darker/more dense. The smaller the model, the greater the effect.

One reason for this is that, seen from a distance, anything looks paler than it does up close due to the amount of atmosphere between subject and observer. With a model one sees the same apparent distance with (effectively) none of that veiling effect. Thus, the colour that looks "dead right" on a model an inch from ones nose is perceived differently from "layout viewing" distance. 

Edited by Dunsignalling

3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Who suggested that? Accurascale make numerous versions of their locos, and there will be demand for more than just ones in showroom condition.

Um Accurascale themselves with a 'showroom condition' preserved L94 with OHL flashes on it.

This will not be weathered or faded (the livery still looked pristine even when it was repainted into GWR green before the end of its boiler ticket)

• RMweb Gold

Good to see that the Mountain Ash pannier, 7754 is sans cabside plates which is right for the majority of it's NCB service.  Much as I don't like a 'new for old' approach, a noisey one will be replacing my Modelzone example. 

20201003_194359-01.jpeg.7fafe5e7e8452c930d4f2062049b41b4.jpeg-01-01.jpeg.a771a37752bacd825da38befb527c202.jpeg

Rob

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, G-BOAF said:

Um Accurascale themselves with a 'showroom condition' preserved L94 with OHL flashes on it.

This will not be weathered or faded (the livery still looked pristine even when it was repainted into GWR green before the end of its boiler ticket)

Fair enough, but it won't be the same as an "in service" model of the same loco in 1960s condition, should one be offered.

Modern paint is far more colour-fast than what would have been on it then, the use of which would not be permitted today.  

"Preserved" and "Prototypical" are not exact synonyms.

11 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Fair enough, but it won't be the same as an "in service" model of the same loco in 1960s condition, should one be offered.

Modern paint is far more colour-fast than what would have been on it then, the use of which would not be permitted today.  

"Preserved" and "Prototypical" are not exact synonyms.

L91 is the 'in-service' version (complete with tripcocks), L94 is as preserved (OHL flashes, TPWS boxes, no tripcocks)

But the colour is the same for both

Looking the the book Red Panniers (Scott-Morgan and Martin, 2008), photographic conditions can change the colour considerably. However everything is more maroon than the AS samples, and much closer to that which Bachmann, Rapido and Heljan have used in their recent models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, G-BOAF said:

L91 is the 'in-service' version (complete with tripcocks), L94 is as preserved (OHL flashes, TPWS boxes, no tripcocks)

But the colour is the same for both

Looking the the book Red Panniers (Scott-Morgan and Martin, 2008), photographic conditions can change the colour considerably. However everything is more maroon than the AS samples, and much closer to that which Bachmann, Rapido and Heljan have used in their recent models.

They all look too dark to me, shouldn't LT locos be the same colour as Routemaster buses?

Trouble is, for most of us, the colour vision we had at twenty and that we have at seventy will be two different things.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

They all look too dark to me, shouldn't LT locos be the same colour as Routemaster buses?

Why? Surely LT locomotive red was simply a continuation of Metropolitan Railway locomotive red and had nothing to do with the colour of buses? 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

shouldn't LT locos be the same colour as Routemaster buses?

That wasn't the case @Dunsignalling RT Red is a different specified colour. Fortunately, we had an official colour swatch issued by London Transport for their loco colour, which was sent out as part of a Press Pack at launch, so the LT Loco Red is nailed on. Press packs contained official 8" x 6" photographs and a colour swatch.

Edited by Islesy
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

AccuraPannier Gains Colour!

Following the recent announcement of our all-new London Transport exclusive pair. We can now show you the rest of our Pannier collection as the project reaches the decoration phase. 

group2.jpg.e6793ba0dd6711f86e9538d62cfbc5b0.jpg

The sheer number of variances in tooling options took a while to get right before moving on to decoration, but now they've arrived, all we can say is; WOW! The addition of paint really highlights the depth of tooling as no two models are the same.

Lets have a look!

SKUACC2875.jpg.55acf9a9107908df8b48ef5074d77453.jpg

SKUACC2879-EXL.jpg.21338ea0bd434dc5aef500bbdc61b9f7.jpg

SKUACC28781.jpg.ba7e9a00f188e3ffd2919f0f48ec9097.jpg

SKUACC2874.jpg.5d186bf935a55e010e0bb777ac91420a.jpg

You might notice when looking at 5741, the green looks a little peculiar...

Well, no need to adjust your sets as this highlights one of the reasons we take so much time inspecting decoration samples.

Project Manager Steve Purves has taken some stick in the office, after accidentally forwarding a typo to our factory, creating a very unique light green 5741. This of course, will be changed along with other tweaks for final production, although we all agree, Steves obviously a big Montague fan..

SKUACC2971.jpg.f2921a267cafdbae33b36515534e033f.jpg

So, when are they be getting here? Well, the exciting news is that production is about to get underway, once changes have been implemented from feedback given.

group3.jpg.9d99dc8636eb5154def8506208869f43.jpg

Delivery is still slated for Q1, 2025. Our Pannier Tanks are priced at £139.95 for DC/DCC Ready models and £239.95 for DCC Sound Fitted models. Locomotives can be pre-ordered via our website for no money down or via monthly instalments at no extra cost. 

group4.jpg.8e04e02cc2ee8762601bed571a0b25fb.jpg

PRE-ORDER YOUR PANNIER RIGHT HERE AND BROWSE THE RANGE!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1