57xx Pannier Tank Family, By Accurascale

Photos of tank tops are like hens' teeth, and to be honest, I'd never noticed the joint in the boiler feed pipe before. I've no idea whether the orginals were round or rectangular. (The pic on the right is a preserved loco.)

accurascale-pannier-top-comparison.jpg.c09b8c0356d333daae8c8190a0b14b1f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hopefully the Accurascale smokebox number will be easier to remove than the Bachmann one?

If it's done the same way as the 'Manor' it shouldn't be too much of a problem but it is a different designer working on the pannier although I'm sure he won't miss out on that feature.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Photos of tank tops are like hens' teeth, and to be honest, I'd never noticed the joint in the boiler feed pipe before. I've no idea whether the orginals were round or rectangular. (The pic on the right is a preserved loco.)

accurascale-pannier-top-comparison.jpg.c09b8c0356d333daae8c8190a0b14b1f.jpg

I have double checked and round seems to be the norm. I'm sure it's shown as round on the Swindon drawing too

Regards

Steve

Screenshot_20240120_113013_Box.jpg

Screenshot_20240120_113127_Box.jpg

Screenshot_20240120_113207_Box.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Here is a photo that I took at Woodham's, Barry. I wasn't good at recording dates and number details.

Scan13.jpg.e5aaf531d8f0f6f92bb98a56d5298530.jpg

Brian.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Most (?) preserved 5700s are ex London TransporT so the square flange might possibly have originated there !!?!

They were overhauled and repaired at Swindon though.

I would expect it to be dependant on builder. There was noticeable differences dependant on batch. I'll have a look in PP later to see if there is a mention.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Either way, GWR Wartime black would be a fun livery to see from this tooling suite. Given it is also the most versatile tooling suite of these locomotives, I'm sure some as preserved locos using the LT cabs, and other tooling aspects, could potentially sell well, such as 5764 or 5786...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2024 at 04:18, Keegs said:

wartime black lasted a few 57xx all the way until the 60s 

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, merely curious: the appearance of some of these in the 60s suggests the GWR insignia is showing through a later application of black, be it faded or deliberately rubbed away.

That being the case, presumably they might originally have been standard green ones rather than necessarily wartime black?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, merely curious: the appearance of some of these in the 60s suggests the GWR insignia is showing through a later application of black, be it faded or deliberately rubbed away.

That being the case, presumably they might originally have been standard green ones rather than necessarily wartime black?

In some cases which I know off it was defintely rubbed through soem of Swindon's fairly poor quality paintwork, especially on lesser engines.  there are one or two cases of genuine GWR livery surviving a long whilke either by chance or perahsp desogn on the part of a particular works when carrying out an overhaul.   A 'Modified Hall' tender in full GWR post-war livery survived intact  to c. the mid 1950s and a friend of mine took a photo of it, which he showed to me a good few years ago.  Alas I don't know what happened to his photo albums following his death

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

In some cases which I know off it was defintely rubbed through soem of Swindon's fairly poor quality paintwork, especially on lesser engines.  there are one or two cases of genuine GWR livery surviving a long whilke either by chance or perahsp desogn on the part of a particular works when carrying out an overhaul.   A 'Modified Hall' tender in full GWR post-war livery survived intact  to c. the mid 1950s and a friend of mine took a photo of it, which he showed to me a good few years ago.  Alas I don't know what happened to his photo albums following his death

ISTR that many of the ones that were genuinely still in GWR livery in BR days were those allocated to Old Oak Common. A couple of the well known examples were 97XX condensing tanks.

I presume it was because they could do overhauls at OOC rather than having them sent to Swindon. I also believe that some were overhauled by Stratford (ex GER) in BR days.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There was certainly one 74XX in GWR livery operating on the Bala to Blaenau branch in the 1950s and also 7788, operating in the Gloucester area right up until the early 1960s and I suggest she was scrapped in that livery.

Both locos had BR smokebox door numberplates, however.

Tom Foster did a really splendid job on the 74XX, which he used on his Cwm Prysor layout.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/11/2023 at 23:16, Miss Prism said:

Dome is a bit 'sarfeastunchatum' at the moment. If the draft angle could be reduced to (say) 1 degree, that would be great.

accurascale-pannier-sideview-dome-draft-angle.png.3f3a3cc6bf1824154826c1981aaf0818.png

It can be done: this release angle is really small (almost zero), and Bachmann have been banging these out of their moulds for decades.

bachmann-pannier-dome.jpg.d69639c637e304386e8b979a673c08b6.jpg

Bump

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/01/2024 at 14:01, Miss Prism said:

Overhauls at OOC?

Not really.  The 'factory' had an overhead crane but I dobn't know its lifting capacity although I did see holding a relatively fill side tank of a condensing 97XX (in order to search for a leek in the tank.   And if we're talking about the 97XX condensing panniers let's not forget that they went far and wide for general overhaul, e.g with recorded visits to both Wolverhampton and Caerphilly although work might be relatively minor at some shoppings.

The only Western works carrying out major overhaul work were Swindon, Newton Abbot, Caerphilly, Wolverhampton and Oswestry.   Locomotive overhauls seem to have continued at Barry Works into the early 1950s but I think it was closed for that sort of work later in that decade.  The Divisional Depots with repair facilities were basically there for running attention and not for planned shopping although in several cases the Divisional repair facility was actually the adjacent works rather than a heavy facility at the running depot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/01/2024 at 14:10, Captain Kernow said:

There was certainly one 74XX in GWR livery operating on the Bala to Blaenau branch in the 1950s and also 7788, operating in the Gloucester area right up until the early 1960s and I suggest she was scrapped in that livery.

Both locos had BR smokebox door numberplates, however.

Tom Foster did a really splendid job on the 74XX, which he used on his Cwm Prysor layout.

4628 was a Gloucester then Worcester loco …. Went for scrap in 1964 still wearing GWR on her tanks… 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 21/01/2024 at 13:47, Steamport Southport said:

I also believe that some were overhauled by Stratford (ex GER) in BR days.

Jason

Ooh, tell me more please! Wasn’t aware of that. Don’t think they ever turned up on cross-London freight did they? As someone who loves all things ex-GER, I’ve certainly never seen photos of them at Temple Mills for example, but not heard of them turning up at Hither Green etc either. 

11 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

4628 was a Gloucester then Worcester loco …. Went for scrap in 1964 still wearing GWR on her tanks… 

Pic of 4628 in R.C. Riley's "Great Western Album" in 1963.

• Like 3