New DCC setup with existing trains / decoders

Benatkinsonuk

Hi there, I’ve looked for this answer but can’t seem to find it.

I’m looking at ditching my old Bachman E-Z command dynamis system (I had the dodgy joystick issue which ruins the fun, I had cleaned it etc).

Anyway, if I go for a new DCC system, if a loco is say, address 47 - can I just punch 47 into the new DCC control system and away we go? Or do I have to add it via address 3? Ie set back to address 3 on the decoder with the current system and add it to the new system’s roster?

If it’s useful I’m looking at the NCE powercab.

Thanks,

Ben

The locos just work, address 47, is address 47.   They have addresses stored in the decoders (from your original setup).   Nothing else to set. 

(There isn't a Roster like the old Dynamis, where locos are "stored" in the handset as well, with names, descriptions, etc.. ).    

• Agree 2

I've had my NCE system for years and I am very satisfied with it.  I don't know anything about Dynamis, but I will say that with NCE you can have short loco IDs, such as 2 digit or long, such as 4 digit.  Loco IDs are easy to change, if you need to, and can be done on the fly (programming on the main).  I match my loco IDs to the loco number using the last 4 digits.

\John

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rogerdee said:

What ever you had your locomotive number it stays with the decoder so you should be able to use any DCC controller. The only thing you can't do with the powercab is mix short and long number locomotive. 

The powercab is a very good system.

I don't know what you mean about not being able to mix short and long numbered locomotives. The Power Cab can deal with both at the same time with no problems.

Additionally, you can use "short" long addresses from 0000 to 0127 - the leading zero is important in this case and the Power Cab will show an asterisk in front of the number to indicate it is a long address. These will work in parallel with the true short addresses 1 to 127.

The only address you cannot use is 0 (short address for running analogue locos).

As others have said to Ben, there should be no problems switching straight over to the Power Cab. All the previously addressed locomotives or units should run straight away with no alterations needed, once the new system is connected. Ben will also find the Power Cab is much more powerful for programming items fully, including being able to read back CV values on the programming track.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/11/2023 at 17:03, Benatkinsonuk said:

On 19/11/2023 at 17:16, Nigelcliffe said:

(There isn't a Roster like the old Dynamis, where locos are "stored" in the handset as well, with names, descriptions, etc.. ). 

You may wish to purchase the NCE USB interface adapter (ref: 524-223?) with your NCE PowerCab.

With the appropriate software on a laptop (or PC), by which I mean JMRIs free 'DecoderPro', you can also control your trains from the laptop. The DecoderPro software also lets you build a 'Roster' (or sorts) of all your locomotives, although that's only accessible 'in' the software, not on the PowerCab handset.

I find setting up a new DCC decoder (or editing one) easier with DecoderPro than using the PowerCab handset.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 19/11/2023 at 17:03, Benatkinsonuk said:

Hi there, I’ve looked for this answer but can’t seem to find it.

I’m looking at ditching my old Bachman E-Z command dynamis system (I had the dodgy joystick issue which ruins the fun, I had cleaned it etc).

Anyway, if I go for a new DCC system, if a loco is say, address 47 - can I just punch 47 into the new DCC control system and away we go? Or do I have to add it via address 3? Ie set back to address 3 on the decoder with the current system and add it to the new system’s roster?

Thanks,

Ben

You won't look back with a Powercab.  It's got to be the most popular DCC system on the market.

I know a few modellers in the states, and I'm on a US forum, they overwhelmingly use NCE PowerCab (or Procab for the larger layouts), and also don't seem to be in favour of any sort of computer connections or control, they do all their changes on programming tracks via the handsets - I wonder if the computer connection side of things is more a European interest?

• Thanks 1