Next Years Announcements (9th Jan btw)(not wish listing!, well that was the idea, but......)

Pmorgancym

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

So 79, and it must be getting close to that on the FS model version front by now 🤔

Not sure how many more versions of the same loco people need, but hey ho 😉

SK reckoned Hornby had done 46 different models of FS (just FS, not all A3s), but I think they must now be nearing  the half-century mark.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

So 79, and it must be getting close to that on the FS model version front by now 🤔

Not sure how many more versions of the same loco people need, but hey ho 😉

You need some of the other 78 locos.

There is is this myth that every original A1 /A3 is 4472, and that every original A1 /A3 Hornby make is 4472.

How many versions of a 37 or a 47 or a 66 do people need? (The answer seems to be "quite a lot")

Perhaps something smaller but really useful for modellers would be a good idea for Hornby. The recently released TTA is a good example; perhaps not a big and shouty product but one that would potentially sell very well for years to come? If they got it right... 

In a similar vein, any of their engineers wagons in Civil Engineers "Dutch" livery seem to sell well and you can never have too many of those can you...! 

Personally speaking I'm still patiently waiting for the INTERCITY Charter/Land Cruise coaching set, or at least some of them. Mk3 Sleeper/s, Mk1 Restaurant (of some kind, I'm no expert), Mk1 FO (I think) and Mk1 First Class Brake (again I think). I wouldn't even bothered if they're not 100 percent correct, just release them anyway!! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ravenser said:

There is is this myth that every original A1 /A3 is 4472, and that every original A1 /A3 Hornby make is 4472.

How many versions of a 37 or a 47 or a 66 do people need? (The answer seems to be "quite a lot")

Well I'm not laughing at models of A1/A3s, purely at the sheer amount of specifically FS models.

And it feels like every time a Hornby announcement is due to be made, people suggest even more versions of specifically FS! 😄

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Ravenser said:

I've got 38 Bulleid Light Pacifics and counting. Once one has gone up to London, it should be at least seven hours before I see it again....

No A3 for obvious geographical reasons, but I've always considered them old-fashioned, like the Southern King Arthurs. of similar vintage.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've got 38 Bulleid Light Pacifics and counting. Once one has gone up to London, it should be at least seven hours before I see it again....

No A3 for obvious geographical reasons, but I've always considered them old-fashioned, like the Southern King Arthurs. of similar vintage.  

And yet BR had to rebuild most of them, BR just added a few bits here and there with the A3 and A4 plus the double chimney.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Another call here for some mk3a coaches in the older liveries or manc mersey lancs named Pullman stock silver window surrounds tinted glazing nems etc. Or intercity exec (not swallow)

Id guess the bulled up white roof charter stock is even.more niche than the pullman stock!

The mk1 white roof brake vehicle was AFAIK a BCK.  

Edited by ThaneofFife
Spelling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

And yet BR had to rebuild most of them, BR just added a few bits here and there with the A3 and A4 plus the double chimney.

Though, of course, none of Gresley's engines would have reached their potential without copying Churchward practices....

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

Another call here for some mk3a coaches in the older liveries or manc mersey lancs named Pullman stock silver window surrounds tinted glazing nems etc. Or intercity exec (not swallow)

Id guess the bulled up white roof charter stock is even.more niche than the pullman stock!

The mk1 white roof brake vehicle was AFAIK a BCK.  

You say that but those trains/that set got around the UK a lot! There's pictures of it all over the shop..

The Manc Pullman was probably a bit more restricted?

Is the Mk1 BCK the one that's preserved at Shildon? I think that's the one Hornby made in recent years. Someone on here a couple of years ago said the Mk1 Brakes used in the 'real' set were a different type but I can't say because I've no idea. 

21 minutes ago, Great Waterton said:

You say that but those trains/that set got around the UK a lot! There's pictures of it all over the shop..

Is the Mk1 BCK the one that's preserved at Shildon? I think that's the one Hornby made in recent years. Someone on here a couple of years ago said the Mk1 Brakes used in the 'real' set were a different type but I can't say because I've no idea. 

Yeah the recent Hornby model is the preserved BCK at Shildon, 21274. The white roof charter sets commonly utilised one of a pair of BCKs, numbered 2833 and 2834, that had been modified internally to act as staff coaches, with sleeping accommodation.

RBRs were the catering vehicles used, which Hornby produce and have released in black roof, Intercity Executive livery, but not, of course, as white roof charter vehicles and in the later Swallow scheme.

I'm in the market for a white roof, mark 1 charter rake as an era and setting-appropriate "nice to have" on my layout, and may ultimately end up with a set of the old Replica Railways releases if Hornby remain disinclined.

Edited by Cruachan
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Though, of course, none of Gresley's engines would have reached their potential without copying Churchward practices....

And neither would the LMS.

So, we are all agreed the GWR built the best engines...😁

• Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

I remember Bachmann confidently making that claim when they bought Graham farish. Everything will be available in N. How did that work out? Still waiting on the 7f, 2EPB, MLV etc... 

Bachmann did make that claim — giving the V1/V3 as an example "outline" they might produce.  But they have included in the range models of locos which are not produced by them in OO: 8F, Stanier 5MT and class 31, for example.

What Hornby said was that everything in TT:120 would be something they did in OO — but they may well find there are locos they do in TT which aren't viable in OO.

In the days of Triang TT there were not that many common types — both had a Britannia, but OO had "Winston Churchill" while TT had a "Merchant Navy", the DMUs were of different types and so on (the non-inclusion of the "Castle" in the OO range is understandable, that of the GW "large Prairie" less so).

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Adi said:

Saw this on social media 

Anyone idea what loco it could be 

FB_IMG_1704464116183.jpg

Think you might be taking the advert too literally ! 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Adi said:

Saw this on social media 

Anyone idea what loco it could be 

FB_IMG_1704464116183.jpg

Some lazy bu@@er in marketing has obviously asked an AI image generator to produce an image containing a loco, a single prop aircraft and two cars all draped in black.  Its not even interesting!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Great Waterton said:

Flood would probably know.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Great Waterton said:

Personally speaking I'm still patiently waiting for the INTERCITY Charter/Land Cruise coaching set, or at least some of them. Mk3 Sleeper/s, Mk1 Restaurant (of some kind, I'm no expert), Mk1 FO (I think) and Mk1 First Class Brake (again I think). I wouldn't even bothered if they're not 100 percent correct, just release them anyway!! 

The Intercity charter stock or 'special trains' as it was immediately before privatisation would be great, and something slightly different to. I've seen models people have converted to make up a set and it can look stunning with the white roofs. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Ravenser said:

One A1 didn't make it to A3 - I'm guessing that was Great Northern , butchered by Thompson as an act of spite.

A fact which has been repeated by ‘historians’ down the years as gospel despite being demonstrably not true.

quite apart from anything else, Great Northern wasn’t even selected for rebuilding by Thompson!

See Simon A C Martin’s book on Thompson from the other year.

The choice of locomotive was made by GA Musgrave, Southern Locomotive Superintendent of the LNER, conforming to the totally normal practice of CME proposing the design, a Locomotive Running Superintendent proposing the locomotive due a shopping that fitted the bill, and the LNER board signing off on it.

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 3