Next Years Announcements (9th Jan btw)(not wish listing!, well that was the idea, but......)

Pmorgancym

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Les1952 said:

Who is going to poke their head above the parapet and make Locomotion No.1?

I would be amazed. I've seen people scratchbuild one in 4mm, but trying to design one that can be easily mass produced and arrived intact? That is a BIG ask!

However if anyone pulls it off, my wallet is open 😄

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Bulldog please, by Bachmann. They've got nearly all of the bits in stock. Just a new boiler diagram & some adjustment to the footplate.  It's an easy gap in the range. 

Edit:- Actually, what I should have said, is the tooling. Most of this already exists in Bachmanns' back catalogue.  

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
A bit more clarity, perhaps.
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Add to my original list a new tooling Diesel electric locomotive AC Electric BR Class 81.

Also a New tool DMU EMU DEMU EDMU the British Rail Class 140 Pacer Railbus.

Please no,i want an 81 but not from Hornby.  Bachmann or Accurascale or even maybe Heljan so that its full bells n whistles not some itll do half arsed attempt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

17 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

2024 reintroductions it's all mostly "the big four" and British Railways and British Rail.

Reintroduced into or now as part of the RailRoad range. 

RailRoad Plus Steam locomotives

GNR Class J13/LNER Class J52 

GWR County Class 10xx 4-6-0

GWR County Class 38xx 4-4-0 

LMS Class 5XP 'Patriot' 4-6-0 LMS Crimson 

Southern Schools SR V Class 4-4-0 in SR Bulleid Green

BR Standard Class 8 4-6-2 "Duke of Gloucester"

RailRoad Plus Diesel and Electric locomotives

BR Class 33 (BR Green) 

BR Class 33 (BR Blue) 

BR Class 37 (Original BR Green livery)   

BR Class 37 (1960s BR Blue livery)

BR Class 47 (BR InterCity Executive livery)

BR Class 47 (BR INTERCITY Swallow livery)

BR Class 90 (BR INTERCITY Swallow livery)

BR Class 90 (BR Railfreight livery)

RailRoad Plus DMU/EMU/DEMU/EDMU

GWR Diesel Railcar - Express Parcels

BR Class 142 Pacer Railbus (Western England Chocolate/Cream livery)

BR Class 142 Pacer Railbus (Greater Manchester PTE Brown/Orange livery)

BR Class 142 Pacer Railbus (Provincial Sector Blue/blue livery) 

RailRoad Plus Rolling stock 

Royal Mail Travelling Post Office Coach (Operating Mail Coach) 1970s/1980s/1990s/2000s livery 

Royal Mail Ancillary Coach

GWR Centenary coaches

2 Composite

2 break 

Main Range Reintroduced and New Tooling's

Steam locomotives New Tooling's and reintroductions 

LMS Fury Class 6399 4-6-0 (new tooling)

Southern Schools SR V Class 4-4-0 in SR Bulleid Green

Southern Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 "Golden Arrow" (Original)

Southern Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 "Golden Arrow" (Rebuilt)

New tool LMS Hughes Crab 2-6-0

LMS BR Princess Class 4-6-2 'Lady Patricia' 46210 in BR Blue locomotive 

BR 38XX Class 2-8-0 locomotive

BR 4-6-2 Standard Class 8 "Duke of Gloucester" locomotive 

Diesel / Electric locomotives 

BR Class 08 shunter 08644 "Laira Diesel Depot" in BR blue. Locomotive 

BR Class 92 (1992 - 1996 BR Railfreight livery)

Rolling stock

Passenger Rolling Stock 

Three Original livery BR INTERCITY Swallow livery BR MK4 First Class carriages 1988 - 1997 (with the correct tooling of non-roof-vents on the roofing)

Pullman coaches

Pullman 12 Wheel 3rd Class Parlour Car

Pullman 12 Wheel 1st Class Kitchen Car

Pullman 12 Wheel 1st Class Brake Car

Pullman 1st Class Parlour Car

Pullman 3rd Class Parlour Car

Pullman 1st Class Kitchen Car

Pullman 3rd Class Kitchen Car

Pullman 3rd Class Brake Car

Pullman 1st Class Parlour Car

Pullman 2nd Class Parlour Car

Pullman 1st Class Kitchen Car

Pullman 3rd Class Kitchen Car

Pullman 3rd Class Brake Car 

Pullman Bar Car

Pullman, Standard 'K' Type 'New Century Bar' Car

Freight / Maintenace rolling stock

BR Motorail Car Transporter (Cartic) With 8 Scale autos Cars

Train Packs

Steam 

Rainhill Trials continued

New Tool "Novelty" 0-2-2 

New Tool "Sans Pareil" 0-4-0

Reintroduced in the exact same 2020 packaging and catalogue number R3810 Stephenson's "Rocket" 0-2-2 train pack. With three Liverpool and Manchester Railway 4-wheel coaches. 

Diesel and Electric, DMU, EMU, DEMU, EDMU

BR Class 446 Connex Suburban Train 

Class 165/1 Networker Turbo (new tooling)

Class 166 Networker Turbo (new tooling)

Class 387/1 Electrostar (new tooling)

HSTs 

British Rail Engineering Limited (BREL) Crewe Works and Crewe Heritage Centre Train Pack. Class 43 HST Power Cars Train pack.

43002 power car as appeared in the rare BR InterCity 125 BR Black and Yellow livery as appeared at the Crewe Works on the open day in September 1975. With power car 43018 "The Red Cross" that arrived at the Crewe Heritage Centre on 24 October 2020. Where it was restored and unveiled on March 1 2022, in its original built date appearance of June 1976, as preserved in its Original BR Blue Yellow livery at the Crewe Heritage Centre since 2022.

BR Class 254 InterCity 125 Eastern Region. Consisting of a train pack two BR Class 43 HST power cars in original BR Blue Yellow (Eastern Region) with an additional rake of 8 BR MK3 coaches separately.

InterCity 125 in BR INTERCITY Swallow livery 

Train pack BR Class 43 HST power cars in BR INTERCITY Swallow livery with an additional rake of 7 or 8 BR MK3 coaches separately. (depending on which ever service/ BR region etc that it is)

CrossCountry XC HST Farewell Train Packs

43007 (ex 43207) CrossCountry XC in BR InterCity 125 livery

43184 (ex 43384) CrossCountry XC in BR InterCity Executive livery

with the additional separate 8 MK3s coaches 

43008 (ex 43208) CrossCountry XC BR INTERCITY Swallow livery

43366 CrossCountry XC Livery with its “HST 40” nameplate. 

with the additional separate 8 MK3s coaches 

APT-P 

BR Class 370 APT-P sets "370 005" and "370 006" contents: 48105 DTS and 48106 DTS, (NDM 49005), (TBF 48605) and (TBF 48606) in the Final BR APT-P livery, with black window surrounds and the final APT-P livery the typeface British Rail "Double Arrow" logo in black lining only with "InterCity" logo filled in black and "APT" filled in red with the red stripe along both of the DTS'. With an additional separate NDM 49006 (if it's a five-car pack, included If it's a seven-car pack included with APT-U Ex-TS Development Vehicle, Sc48204/977527) and 4 carriage coach packs of two as follows...

(TS 48205 with TS 48206) 

(TU 48305 with TU 48306)

(TF 48505 with TF 48506)

(TRSB 48405 with TRSB 48406)

To enable and complete and create the full 14 coach rake train of sets 370 005 and 370 006. 

Crewe Heritage Centre BR Class 370 APT-P train pack (as preserved) 7 car train pack.

48103 DTS 370 003

48106 DTS 370 006

48404 TRSB

48603 TBF

49002 NDM

48602 TBF

49006 NDM

BR Class 370 APT-P DTS 370 007 48107 (standalone)

BR Class 370 APT-P TBF 48607 - Trailer Brake First (standalone)

BR Class 370, InterCity APT-U Ex-TS Development Vehicle, Sc48204/977527.

InterCity 225

LNER InterCity 225 BR LNER Class 91 locomotive in LNER InterCity livery with an additional separate LNER BR MK4 DVT and nine LNER BR MK4 coaches.

Eurostar 

Eurostar BR Class 373 in the original Eurostar livery. (30th Anniversary Edtion/limited edition in retro 1990s Hornby Railways era packaging)

With separate divisible coach twin pack.

Like the wonderful "Hornby Dublo Remembered" and the "Tri-Ang Remembered" ranges. 

An additional range of locomotives, sets, packs rolling stock etc dedicated from the "Hornby Railways Remembered" eras from the beginning in 1972 all the way through the various different logos, box artworks designs etc until the years 1996, 1997 and 1998, In retro packaging.

Regards,

Ryan.

If Hornby produces that lot, a new catalogue will need to be issued three or four times in 2024! 🤣

On 17/11/2023 at 20:32, Pmorgancym said:

So Simon's gone, he always seemed to be the driver behind the big annual announcement format.  So will they continue this tradition?  Inhave thins nightmare idea where they double down with a big media event and have Pete Waterman hosting.

Back to the original post. I must admit I have not read all of the posts in this thread as most of them appear to be a form of wish listing, despite the thread title. So apologies if this duplicates something already said.

2024 is probably the last year where projects that Simon Kohler OK'd will feature as many of these would have been too far down the line to cancel.  So I would expect at least one quirky/gimmicky item along the lines of Rocket or Lion left over from SK. Overall, and looking at comments in the Hornby annual report, I would expect some growth in the number of "budget" items. This would: address the cost of living issue, strengthen Hornby's position in the entry level market and give a return on assets which have been depreciated in the books. For example the Dapol J94 could probably make a profit for Hornby at less that the current EFE discount price. The Airfix "Vintage Classics" seem to be selling well for Hornby and these are priced at less than the current models as are the new Entry Level vehicles and planes, which are listed at around 60% of the equivalent full fat models.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I thought we weren't wish-listing 😄

I suspect the 2024 announcements will be slimmed down from previous years - some stuff will have been in the works prior to Simon Kohler going and might from a cash-flow point of view be slowed down. 

It would be nice to see loads of items released, but I don't see it this year.

I could add loads of items that I fancy being released... loads of Great Western locos and carriage stock that need updating etc. But on this occasion I doubt it.

Instead, what we will probably see is the new direction for Hornby - lots of froth to assure the shareholders and hopefully the company returning to profit. That in itself, will then assure us that Hornby are back in the game and will be producing an even mix of locos and carriages over the next couple of years.

Must be something in the air, or coming from bottles, as this thread has sudden;y gone barmy.   Or maybe some folk read the link in 'World of Railways' and thought they were joining a forth-fest wish-list thread instead of what it's titled as?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I would be amazed. I've seen people scratchbuild one in 4mm, but trying to design one that can be easily mass produced and arrived intact? That is a BIG ask!

However if anyone pulls it off, my wallet is open 😄

I don't think this is beyond the capabilities of modern RTR manufacturers. Anymore complicated that Walschaerts valve gear?

Jason

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

We'll have to agree to disagree 🙂

It just looks complicated.

One end goes up whilst the other goes down!

I reckon you could put some kind of mechanism that replicates that pretty easily. Just like one of those Gandy Dancers. You don't need it to pull much as the real one didn't!

Jason

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Standards_in_OO said:

My predictions are;

Dublo Flying Scotsman in current condition with the white roof

Dublo A4s in 10th Anniversary of The Great Goodbye

A new Dublo locomotive - maybe a Castle as nothing western so far?

New rebuilt Merchant Navy

Mk 2 coaches in obscure liveries no one has asked for. 

Depressingly, I suspect this might be accurate 😐

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Les1952 said:

I'm looking onwards to 2025 and wondering..

Who is going to poke their head above the parapet and make Locomotion No.1?

If it is to be released on time the work should be well on by now....

Les

The valve gear will be impractically delicate if made to anything approaching scale size. 

I'd expect it to be dimensionally compromised or drastically simplified, and probably both, to make a 4mm model that works, and has the slightest chance of outliving a twelve month warranty.  

One for 7mm scale IMHO, and by implication, not from Hornby.  

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

Please no,i want an 81 but not from Hornby.  Bachmann or Accurascale or even maybe Heljan so that its full bells n whistles not some itll do half arsed attempt.

Or even Dapol! They've produced some amazing pieces of model railway rolling stock in the last few years! I don't mind who produces a AC Electric BR Class 81. I did mention an 81 if Hornby do produce one. They did ballsed up the BR MK4 1st class INTERCITY Swallow livery coaches. On second thoughts yes with all the bells and whistles!  Thankfully Accurascale Rails are the ones producing the Badger Class 89 and Rails and Bachmann the Class 41 prototype HST!  Two long requested from me! So I hope BR AC Electrics 81, 82, 83 , 84 are produced by some model railway manufacturer. 

My all time bells and whistles list is almost complete.

Heljan Kestrel

Rapido APT-E

Rails Bachmann BR Class 41 HST prototype 

Hornby Intercity 125

Hornby Intercity APT-P 

Hornby Intercity 225

???? BR Class 81 AC Electric

Hornby BR Class 87 

Accurascale Rails BR Class 89 Badger

Bachmann and Hornby both produced

BR Class 90. Hornby 

Accurascale Hornby BR Class 92

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back on topic then.... 

"Next Years Announcements (not wish listing!)"

There is also the comment from Andy York on the first page.... that the announcement will be on Jan 9th, but it will also set out expectations about future announcements.....

• Like 2

If we're going to have a go at making uninformed predictions, then I might as well stick my oar in - particularly given that I had a pretty good hit rate last year!

Like other contributors to this thread, I think that more Era 1 stuff is almost a given. The real question is whether it will just be more repackaged versions of Rocket, Lion and Tiger or whether we'll get a completely new loco. If so, my hunch is that later, rather than earlier, is more likely - something like a Patentee would be an obvious choice. I think that if Hornby were going to do the other Rainhill locos they'd either have announced them already, to cash on on the popularity of Rocket, or they're a longer term future plan intended to mark the anniversary itself (which is only five years away now). A 2024 announcement would fall too far between those stools.

Equally, I don't think Locomotion No. 1 is the sort of thing Hornby would do. It's too standalone for them. Hornby likes its products to have strong repeat sales potential, typically with new liveries and/or different variants of train packs that can be released in subsequent years, in order to amortise the development costs over a longer period. But I'm not sure how they could do that with No. 1. I think we will get a No. 1, but my gut feeling is that it will be from one of the other manufacturers, and very probably in a marketing tie-in with the NRM. So if Hornby do announce more Era 1 this time, I think it will be post-Rocket.

As for other stuff, I think we're long overdue a new tooling for the Caledonian single. Similarly in the coaching stock, some clerestories to contemporary standards would go very well with the generic 4 and 6-wheelers. Era 2 in general seems to be an expanding market, and it's an obvious choice to address this by re-tooling existing products. Given Hornby's penchant for streamlined locos, 5005 Manorbier Castle would be another obvious choice which would not only complete a set of streamlined locos from all of the Big Four but also fit the "one offs and oddities" category that we all know sells well. At completely the other end of the era spectrum, someone is going to do a Class 345 and Hornby are probably the most likely - it would follow on naturally from the FLIRTs announced previously.

As far as wagons are concerned, there will of course be yet more Private Owner wagons in a range of liveries of varying degrees of accuracy. But after the new tooling TTA tanks announced last time, I wonder if this might be the year that Hornby take on Bachmann's venerable ex-Mainline 14t tank wagon with a newly-tooled pre-war 14t design. That, too, is long overdue; Horby's own Era 3 14t tanks are an old ex-Dapol tooling and, until Dapol themselves announced the "Air Ministry" tanks recently nobody seemed inclined to do a steam era tank wagon to current standards. So it is another obvious gap in the market.

Plus, of course, I think we will definitely get more industrials, both new liveries for existing toolings and at least one all new tooling. And some older toolings will get rebranded as Railroad (or Railroad Plus), there will be at least one gimmick, and Skaledale will keep on coming up with buildings of various levels of appeal and design quality.

Anyway, we'll see how close we all are with our predictions in  week  and a bit's time. I just hope Hornby's website can cope with the traffic this time. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

If we're going to have a go at making uninformed predictions, then I might as well stick my oar in - particularly given that I had a pretty good hit rate last year!

Like other contributors to this thread, I think that more Era 1 stuff is almost a given. The real question is whether it will just be more repackaged versions of Rocket, Lion and Tiger or whether we'll get a completely new loco. If so, my hunch is that later, rather than earlier, is more likely - something like a Patentee would be an obvious choice. I think that if Hornby were going to do the other Rainhill locos they'd either have announced them already, to cash on on the popularity of Rocket, or they're a longer term future plan intended to mark the anniversary itself (which is only five years away now). A 2024 announcement would fall too far between those stools.

Equally, I don't think Locomotion No. 1 is the sort of thing Hornby would do. It's too standalone for them. Hornby likes its products to have strong repeat sales potential, typically with new liveries and/or different variants of train packs that can be released in subsequent years, in order to amortise the development costs over a longer period. But I'm not sure how they could do that with No. 1. I think we will get a No. 1, but my gut feeling is that it will be from one of the other manufacturers, and very probably in a marketing tie-in with the NRM. So if Hornby do announce more Era 1 this time, I think it will be post-Rocket.

As for other stuff, I think we're long overdue a new tooling for the Caledonian single. Similarly in the coaching stock, some clerestories to contemporary standards would go very well with the generic 4 and 6-wheelers. Era 2 in general seems to be an expanding market, and it's an obvious choice to address this by re-tooling existing products. Given Hornby's penchant for streamlined locos, 5005 Manorbier Castle would be another obvious choice which would not only complete a set of streamlined locos from all of the Big Four but also fit the "one offs and oddities" category that we all know sells well. At completely the other end of the era spectrum, someone is going to do a Class 345 and Hornby are probably the most likely - it would follow on naturally from the FLIRTs announced previously.

As far as wagons are concerned, there will of course be yet more Private Owner wagons in a range of liveries of varying degrees of accuracy. But after the new tooling TTA tanks announced last time, I wonder if this might be the year that Hornby take on Bachmann's venerable ex-Mainline 14t tank wagon with a newly-tooled pre-war 14t design. That, too, is long overdue; Horby's own Era 3 14t tanks are an old ex-Dapol tooling and, until Dapol themselves announced the "Air Ministry" tanks recently nobody seemed inclined to do a steam era tank wagon to current standards. So it is another obvious gap in the market.

Plus, of course, I think we will definitely get more industrials, both new liveries for existing toolings and at least one all new tooling. And some older toolings will get rebranded as Railroad (or Railroad Plus), there will be at least one gimmick, and Skaledale will keep on coming up with buildings of various levels of appeal and design quality.

Anyway, we'll see how close we all are with our predictions in  week  and a bit's time. I just hope Hornby's website can cope with the traffic this time. 

But are Lion and Rocket actually Era 1?

Lion is Era 3 as are the coaches which were built by the LMS. Suitable for layouts from 1930 to present day. Even Hornby have it dated as 1930.

Rocket is Era 7. But very similar to the LNWR version of Rocket which it took parts from.

This is the LNWR version plinthed outside Clapham.

51ab61aea20bd0a6c5e58729ae5e55c3.jpg

Tiger is approximately what it looked like after rebuilding after the change from coke burning to coal. Based on what Lion looked like when used as a pumping engine.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2

As I mentioned in a post earlier in this thread, I think Planet will be the next era 1 locomotive they go for - like Lion and Rocket, which are more based on modern day replicas/rebuilt versions, there's a replica Planet Locomotive they can scan for design work. A Patentee is a good shout too, but I feel like Planet is more likely. Who knows though? 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Was the B4 not being developed as part of a cheap train set with sound as well?

Hope so as a small shunter with sound / stay alive would sell quite well i think.

I would expect so. The current chassis has it's origins in the mid 1970s. I think that making it easy to fit DCC and sound will be the main selling points.

I got one one of the first Holden Tanks as my first proper train set so it must be ancient!

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Alright, my 2024 predictions.

- Hornby Dublo Princess

- Hornby Clan class (reckon it's time to see one again)

- Hornby permutation of the IET (eg. Class 805 etc)

- Hornby Class 27xx (or similar - a reimagining of a Hornby staple done to modern standards, and Bachmann already did the Jinty)

- Hornby - one really stonking industrial tank like an Andrew Barclay 18"

- Hornby - Lion without the brass firebox

- Hornby - Announce a 197/196 etc to get their elbows out on a modern multiple unit, but takes 2+ years for delivery.

- Bachmann, I reckon are going to come out with an updated Class 165/166 or similar - supporting their modern image DMU line. Lots of more recent livery choices and time for a high-fidelity DCC release.

- Bachmann Class 57 using the upgrades from the 47

- Dapol - longshot, but reckon they were the HST competition that Hornby were worried about (per TV show). Class 43 and bunch of mk3s to be released 2024.

- Dapol GWR steam, in order of liklihood: Saint, Grange, County, Star

- Rapido - something to support their metropolitan product line, maybe A class?

- Rapido Midland 115 (Spinner) - waste not to use what they learned from the Stirling Single

- Accurascale - reckon a Class 59 to take on Dapol's (learning from the 66 Hattons project)

- Heljan I'm struggling with, I think it's going to be something 8 coupled, like an LMS 7F

- Heljan Class 10

Someone will announce an S160, now two WD Austerity 2-10-0s are on the cards.

Someone will do a modern run of a Brittania, I couldn't decide who. Could be Hornby.

Longer shot, but I think someone may attempt a class 13 as a niche product, but giving them the chassis design and most of the tooling to then see if there's interest in taking on both Hornby and Bachmann with an 08 release.

No-one will do a Dx class.

Edited by Nova Scotian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Already coming, from Rapido.

Oh, sorry - not sure how I missed that one!

I also missed their Hunslet 16" announcement apparently, I was thinking that might be an industrial tank that Hornby would tackle.

• Like 1