When did the LNER drop the L & N E R?

Typeapproval

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I agree and it surprises me that the RTR locos sold in very early BR livery tend to not sell very well and that there are not very many layouts set in the 1948/9 period. Perhaps it is that the railways were pretty run down at that time , not having recovered from WW2. Many photos from that time depict things to be pretty grimy. Not a problem for the modeller who likes weathering! 

Even by 1950-52 there were still grimy locos about. But not all! I imagine 2793 was recently ex-works.

A3 60047 Donovan York 29 5 1950.jpg

LNER A4 60030 Golden Fleece Leeds Copley Hill mpd c1950.jpg

NER B16 460 61458 York 12 9 1952.jpg

GE E4 240 2793 Stratford 2 8 1947.jpg

• Like 2

Hi,

I followed the advice from RichardT and have downloaded the publication from the 'RCTS'. Extremely interesting, informative and excellent value for the modest cost. 

To anyone in a similar position to me, I would strongly suggest investigating the RCTS publications.

Regards

David.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, micklner said:

581 in Green dubious at best. I have never seen a photo of 581 in Green it would have to be pre war as well.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9240

e.g The current NER livery J72 version in NER Green, the livery was actually based on  a photo of the Loco in Photographic Grey.

It was an official photograph in one of the magazines from about the time the model came out. I'm afraid I can't remember which one.

Probably taken as it was the last one built. Could have actually been in photographic grey, but was lined and lettered like the model.

Jason

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It was an official photograph in one of the magazines from about the time the model came out. I'm afraid I can't remember which one.

Probably taken as it was the last one built. Could have actually been in photographic grey, but was lined and lettered like the model.

Jason

The NER adopted Black with Red Lining for the E1/J72 and other shunting engines in 1904 , 2173 was'nt built until 1914 . Bachmann didnt even the get the lining right on their "NER" version as only Black /White not Black/White/Black . The photo has the Loco in Grey . Bachmann obviously thought Green would sell better.

Info from Hoole's NER Locomotives , published for educational reasons only.

IMG_6492.jpeg.9f99a0094883eaf2d5e2c782c329f7a0.jpeg

IMG_6495.jpeg.f2373ad59a4eae21eab2b1dc268cbfbe.jpeg

IMG_6494.jpeg.3a8f2b72a9728edc3c59b7768a4db4b1.jpeg

On 17/11/2023 at 12:47, RichardT said:

I dislike the type of railway history that always groups the pre-1923 companies together in terms of what Group they ended up in, as if Grouping was some Whig version of history - an historic inevitability.

And how much more fun it would have been with a 'levelling up' agenda, so that all the groups finished up with routes North to Scottish railways to fund...

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, micklner said:

The NER adopted Black with Red Lining for the E1/J72 and other shunting engines in 1904 , 2173 was'nt built until 1914 . Bachmann didnt even the get the lining right on their "NER" version as only Black /White not Black/White/Black . The photo has the Loco in Grey . Bachmann obviously thought Green would sell better.

Info from Hoole's NER Locomotives , published for educational reasons only.

IMG_6492.jpeg.9f99a0094883eaf2d5e2c782c329f7a0.jpeg

IMG_6495.jpeg.f2373ad59a4eae21eab2b1dc268cbfbe.jpeg

IMG_6494.jpeg.3a8f2b72a9728edc3c59b7768a4db4b1.jpeg

That contains an interesting snippet of information. I have discussed elsewhere the practice of the GCR painting the interiors of their tenders "red lead" on black locos. Some folk disagreed and reckoned that it was unlikely. Yet here is a record of the NER and another company in Scotland doing just that.

I believe red was the only colour option for this protective paint. I am old.enougj to remember student vacation jobs and having to red lead a.water tank twenty feet long six feet high but only two and a half feet wide. 

I forgot to mention, it had no drain and had to be emptied with buckets and a mop.....

Edited by doilum
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, doilum said:

I believe red was the only colour option for this protective paint. I am old.enougj to remember student vacation jobs and having to red lead a.water tank twenty feet long six feet high but only two and a half feet wide. 

It's why the Forth Bridge is the colour it is - even though red lead paint hasn't been used on it for many years.

It would certainly be the paint to use on the inside of a water tank but was also used as the default primer on any metalwork. 

For woodwork, white lead was better (it's all in the chemistry) usually mixed with some amount of soot to make lead grey.