Hi all, 

I was just seeing if anyone has built a Gilmaur kit before or has one in their collection to build. I brought one secondhand and I’m trying to work out all of the pieces as I think it’s missing some, thank you for any advice.

• Like 1

Hi Ian, welcome to the group.

The U33C was Gilmaur's first kit.  Mike Calvert and I joined up for the early kits and I have his remaining stock following his passing last year.

Send me a note about what you suspect may be missing and I'll have a rummage.

ATB

Jason Dickie

Edited by jasond
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian

I did some work with Mike on the S scale versions of the kits and  have instructions for the some of the kits but not the  u33c. Mike’s u boat kits follow the same principles which would give you a start. Also Century  Models on Shapeways has  a nice replacement low nose. 

Colin

Edited by Colin Stewart

Hi Colin

The original chassis etch for the U33C was a simple 40 thou 2 x chassis beams joined by 2 x rectangular floor plates to locate truck mounting screws and etched cab base mounts.   

Was there a replacement chassis in thinner brass that made up into a boxier frame - maybe based on an S-scale etch?  I haven't seen any etches, but I'll have a search on the data disks.

Jason 

Edited by jasond

Hi Jason 

The S versions followed the same tried and tested system of two chassis beams and cross pieces except for the sw1500 which had fold up chassis because we had to use Stanton trucks to power it. 

Judging by an old email the S scale kits were Half hard brass, 0.015” thick

Colin

Edited by Colin Stewart