Yard End photo plank

7 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Steve,

Just catching up for the second time around, seems even better than I remembered from the first round.

I love the grotty scenery just as much as the superb weathering effects you manage to achieve on your diesels and rolling stock. Can I ask about the lighting, as it comes across as very natural, adding to the atmosphere of the whole scene.

I am really pleased you like the pictures.

The weathering journey has been along one with mistakes along the way.

(Each to his own - I am not sure I could undertake the level of detailing you achieve with your stock)

All I can say is. I only take pictures in natural light. I find the low sunlight at the end of the day tends to give a better softer more `real´  looking feel to the photographs.

I occasionaly use a piece of stiff black card to alter the way it is lit.

I am no photographer and only use my camera phone.

As an aside I tend to use the same colour pallet on locos as I do on layouts so tonaly it all blends in.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Just got to say that your weathering / finishing is absolutely bang on. I find it very inspiring, thanks for posting.

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

Thanks. I have also found pictures others have posted over the years inspiring too. This is one of Ruston´s posted recently. I think it is fantastic.

DSCF1024.JPG.68e2335808fbfc5ca247fb2c4c9

As you are into BR blue like myself. This is an 08 I did relatively recently and I was eventually pleased in the way it turned out

(I bodged the first attempt!)

Cheers

Steve

20231130_123905.jpg.f628145973175c033c9e41647a05f8a2.jpg

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

I am really pleased you like the pictures.

The weathering journey has been along one with mistakes along the way.

(Each to his own - I am not sure I could undertake the level of detailing you achieve with your stock)

All I can say is. I only take pictures in natural light. I find the low sunlight at the end of the day tends to give a better softer more `real´  looking feel to the photographs.

I occasionaly use a piece of stiff black card to alter the way it is lit.

I am no photographer and only use my camera phone.

As an aside I tend to use the same colour pallet on locos as I do on layouts so tonaly it all blends in.

Thanks for the reply on the lighting. I guess that's why all your shots look so natural, because it is. I might try taking Tyteford Halte out in the daylight for a few shots, it is small enough to do so. I also just use my my camera phone but I think I need an upgrade.

I tend to get far too involved in the interior detailing side, when I should be concentrating on what actually can be seen and I am now embarking on my loco and rolling stock weathering journey. I have some way to go before I reach the standards you and some others are able to achieve.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MAP66 said:

Thanks for the reply on the lighting. I guess that's why all your shots look so natural, because it is. I might try taking Tyteford Halte out in the daylight for a few shots, it is small enough to do so. I also just use my my camera phone but I think I need an upgrade.

I tend to get far too involved in the interior detailing side, when I should be concentrating on what actually can be seen and I am now embarking on my loco and rolling stock weathering journey. I have some way to go before I reach the standards you and some others are able to achieve.

You dont need to even take it outside. If you can get Tyteford Halte near a window that has soft late afternoon sunlight coming through then that will do the job.

Weathering - There are different approaches and it is all about finding a way that works for you.

Personaly I do paint first. Rust panels, frame dirt and so on. Weathering powder next, I work from light to dark. Less is more, most people myself included tend to use too much powder when they start weathering. I also use powders wet let them dry and then wipe off with cotton buds and like.

A few pointers. Get some old stock and mess about with it to see what works for you.

I had an old Lima MK1 by the time I had finished with it was covered in years of unsuccessful and successful weathering try outs.

Cheers

Steve

Your interior detailing is very impressive.

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

You dont need to even take it outside. If you can get Tyteford Halte near a window that has soft late afternoon sunlight coming through then that will do the job.

Weathering - There are different approaches and it is all about finding a way that works for you.

Personaly I do paint first. Rust panels, frame dirt and so on. Weathering powder next, I work from light to dark. Less is more, most people myself included tend to use too much powder when they start weathering. I also use powders wet let them dry and then wipe off with cotton buds and like.

A few pointers. Get some old stock and mess about with it to see what works for you.

I had an old Lima MK1 by the time I had finished with it was covered in years of unsccessful and successful weathering try outs.

Cheers

Steve

Your interior detailing is very impressive.

Thanks for sharing, those are some good tips.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1