Good's Yard Signalling Question

• RMweb Gold

You could do with a couple of cabins like these at Curzon Street. The left one was the Signal Lineman for the Proof House district and is based on the LNWR Webb Hut, often used for ground frames and locomens tea cabins. My model of it was used as the shunters cabin on the Black Country Blues layout.

Curzon Street Cabins

The right one was the Carriage and Wagon Examiner.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Another idea for the engine shed. You could replace it or modify it as a canal transhipment warehouse. There's still one standing at the original terminus of the Cromford and High Peak at Whaley Bridge. The Peak Forest canal terminated there and much of the originally proposed route for it to continue south was taken by the CH&PR instead. There is another transhipment shed still standing at the Cromford end of the CH&PR.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The one on the extreme right was probably a lamp hut; corrugated iron with a lightly attached curved roof in case of a paraffin accident.  Fire buckets somewhere handy and a work table to fill the lamp reservoirs from a tin jug, itself refilled from a nearby drum.

The sort of RTP/kits that are used as coal offices, weighbridge offices, &c are generally suitable for use as shunters'/P.W. cabins.  Don't forget a standpipe, vital for water supply for the fuel that railways really run on, tea, and a basic-as-you-like privvy round the back.  Telegraph pole; both cabins will be connected to the local railway network, and a pair of bells on the pole to attract the staff's attention when they are out of the building.  That Webb structure looks as if it would be a bit draughty; shunters' cabins in my experience were cosy and welcoming places. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple more ideas for industries for those sidings should you choose to change from a loco shed: paint factory, gas works, soap/chemicals works.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

That Webb structure looks as if it would be a bit draughty

Not so, it was very cosy when my Grandad was the occupant. Coal stove, gas ring and gas light.

The picture was after the old districts had been reorganised with the MAS schemes and shortly before it was demolished having been disused for seversl months.

If I remember the extreme right building was the C&W oil store at one time.

Behind where I was standing was the blacksmith's forge, another essential building where a yard had been built pre-WW1.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You may also need a weighbridge and office at the yard gate.

Image from https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwra3654.htm

lnwra3654.jpg

Warwickshire Railways website is a fantastic resource for old buildings at yards, sheds and stations on LMS and GWR lines in steam days.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Embedded image added
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

You may also need a weighbridge and office at the yard gate.

Or if you're really going for grandeur, a proper public-facing goods office:

mrcgy925.jpg

[Embedded link to Warwickshire Railways image mrcgy925.]

Birmingham Central again. The octagonal tower on the left had a dome until the Luftwaffe visited.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Or if you're really going for grandeur, a proper public-facing goods office:

mrcgy925.jpg

[Embedded link to Warwickshire Railways image mrcgy925.]

Birmingham Central again. The octagonal tower on the left had a dome until the Luftwaffe visited.

My great aunt worked in there from 1940 to 1952. I also had my medical there before I started on BR. The room where they did hearing tests was on the right of the picture, ground floor. Outside was the hill up Suffolk Street which was still cobbled in those days and a continuous stream of buses and lorries. God knows how anyone passed!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Had she started working there before the warehouse was bombed? (Night of 25 Oct 1940.)

My Grandad was an assistant lineman at New Street at the time. On 27th October he was on standby for the expected raid. Most of the staff took shelter in the tunnels when the bombs started falling.  He was standing in the mouth of Suffolk Street tunnel when No.5 Signal Box took a direct hit.

• Friendly/supportive 3