Hayfields 3D printed track workshop

hayfield

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

And likewise here on my P1. Actually more stringing than I’d expect still, but it was an old role of filament that’s probably a bit damp! Very viable though. 

IMG_1889.jpeg.ebdcc46c6373ef3e845233b1c0fed5d4.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg.2b01aba77842b996fe3f39b59d1780f9.jpeg

Nick

Nice one, is that before or after removal of the stringing ?

Magnification from the photos can be very harsh, It seems Nick is using Martin's settings and the ironing of the timbers look better, but again it may be the photo

Still as a first attempt a good attempt

50 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Going to swallow kgs of ballast but plus side it ain't shifting from alignment 😄 I'm getting itchy fingers...0 gauge wagon repair yard...Dapol 08 hejan 25 a dozen wagons....ouch just gave my self a slap...that's better back to 3mm

Welcome to the dark side. 0 gauge modelling

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Nick

Nice one, is that before or after removal of the stringing ?

Magnification from the photos can be very harsh, It seems Nick is using Martin's settings and the ironing of the timbers look better, but again it may be the photo

Still as a first attempt a good attempt

That’s fresh out of the printer. I confess I never use an FDM printer for detail, but there’s still small strings between the two jaws of each chair. They easily brush off. As you say, it’s under cruel magnification.

That’s printed from Bambu Studio rather than Cura. It’s just the default profile, although I did enable ironing to get a decent top finish. 

I’ll have to get some rail now and build some more, my Heljan 60 will have somewhere to go!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up on eBay

C&L EM (or 00sf)* gauge A5 complete kit including premade common crossing and preformed switched rails

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/286063769523?itmmeta=01J8FEG3JKXDFP31XPTP3JF9W6&hash=item429abab7b3:g:uyMAAOSw3IZm6JAE

These kits are now very expensive, but all the hard to build bits have been done

* The common crossing is 1mm  for 00sf you will need a Templot Template, downloadable free from Templot

NOY ME SELLING I just came across it

TEMPLOT AT SCALEFORUM

Can I say thank you for all those who took the trouble to say hello, much appreciated. Also sorry if I had limited time to have a chat. We were very pleased with the number of folk who stopped to ask questions/see what we are up to, again sorry if you had trouble having a chat.

Any feed back on us and or the stand would be welcome, we did think about what we took with us, certainly having the printers working  seemed to go down well, as did having PC's showing Templot and models which could be handled, but that's my impressions from the other side of the tables. Open to all constructive comments

Please feel free to ask questions either here of better still on Templot Club

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 4

Well Monday was getting over Scaleforum day, both James and myself had a great time but Templot in all its guises was the star

The stand was busy most of both days and we struggled at times to grab a drink, thankfully we had the help of 3 other Templot Club members on Saturday and at times there were 3 or four of us chatting to visitors

One such visitor set me a challenge, which I thought would be fun to have a crack at, and after a couple of days of intermittent design and printing experimenting, I seem to have got there. I must admit for me a great learning experience and I benefited from a chat with Steve about the storage box (I must really get to grips with this part of Templot) but also I started to realize not to have too many duplicated files

170.jpeg.b9f9cf7988b4dc9b1c4f8f6964effcc6.jpeg

Anyway I need a 1-4.5 Vee filing jig and the printer is now working, I have 2 experimental track bed bricks(sections) printed. I now need to form some rail

• Like 4

156.jpeg.b4164155ca70902118b96721f88b1fed.jpeg

These are part of what I was preparing for Scaleforum a 7mm B7 turnout using the COT track variant with code code 125 rail, this photo shows the 3 panels printed using a Neptune 4 which has a larger printing bed than the Kingroon. With the Neptune 4 very little stringing

174.jpeg.57134a51e242fb7f902fe9cfa27696c4.jpeg

Rails inserted (Please forgive me for using a copperclad tiebar) very easily, next up to test it once I wire it up, once the rails are fitted its a very strong unit. I found it was also a great aid when showing how simple it is to build a common crossing in both 4 & 7mm scales using Templot plug track  It being far easier to see in detail in the larger scale I also had on show plain track in 7mm scale, both fixed and flexi track

175.jpeg.31a741b5d0f3f59a6af33e4172650bd5.jpeg

Some of the experiments involved thinner track bases in 7mm scale

176.jpeg.8fae99b28c176d2d8166dbd0b2ebb8d1.jpeg

Martin tried printing chairs in FDM, with the Kingroon there is a lot of stringing,  with the Neptune 4 very little stringing and nearly as good as resin printed chairs

Common crossing chairs on the left, long thin one S1 & L1 chairs, on the right slide and additional slide chairs.

Still lots of work to do, but initial results are very promising

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

179.jpeg.1c42307baeb6202c1efcc4dcbed2a6ac.jpeg

I have been working on a secondary project with COT track, a wonder if from Scaleforum but its not 4mm scale, so that's why I have been quiet

Finally wired up the B7 and the Dapol Terrier glides through both roads effortlessly 

180.jpeg.441bb6f4ed901299ccee7fe0b872ee08.jpeg

One of my favorite locos, a 1950's CCW whitemetal loco on a modern chassis with Slaters wheels, plunger pickups and a big (probably inefficient) can motor. It absolutely loved the turnout.

The amount of time spent on the base was not much, the printer took a few hours during a day (3 prints), but for the most I was doing other things. (the best 7mm vee and switch rails I have ever made)

Forming the rails again was much quicker than usual, all down to the filing jigs obtainable from the same Templot template software. The filing jigs are so easy to use, especially the switch rails

In the past these two actions alone would be spread over at least a couple of casual days modelling.

The fitting the rails once formed amazingly was very simple and mostly easy. There are some modifications which will make the wing rails very much easier to fit, but we are still experimenting with the system, but early results are very promising.

As I said this is work in progress and still in a situation where we are experimenting, early results are in my opinion very good

• Round of applause 1