Hayfields 3D printed track workshop

hayfield

49 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Bradford Buffer

Stringing is not a major issue and this system is purely in an experimental stage, but that does not mean its not available. Templot is not a straight jacket, neither is it difficult to use. These thoughts are just myths, granted if you wish to build a grand junction a high level of skill is required. But for Joe public a simply layout is child's play.

I am using a budget printer, which is perfect for most applications, using a more modern designed printer you would expect results to be better. Once those more skilled apply some changes to the software and develop the system iy will be muck better. In fact without any real development in 7mm scale I think its stunning

Lots is going on with Templot, Templot 5 has just been released and the release has made COT track printing easier, Like all things us old duffers take a bit of time to get our head around how to work these programs and printers

Thanks for joining in

Quite agree sleeper base looks cracking I'm following progress with interest.....I'm heavily invested for current 3mm 14.2mm gauge layout with track from British Finescale and easy enough to do for sausage fingers like myself...I resin print wagons and have my brothers x1 filliment on demand.

I did years ago when Templot was a payment program to buy have a go but was way above my brain pay grade my fault not designers but near future looks like I might have to give it another bash especially with filing jigs and cot track

Keep the posts coming interesting thread

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, njee20 said:

As I said, I posted previously on Templot Club, but Martin disapproved of what I wanted to accomplish (modifying plug track bases for 2mm FB point work) and didn’t want to be associated with it, so I won’t post there. 

Hi Nick,

That seems a rather extreme reporting of my views. I don't disapprove of anything anyone does with Templot. But there is a difference between doing something and posting about it. I do worry if someone posts stuff which I think will be misleading to newcomers. The whole subject is complex and confusing enough to many -- I'm trying as hard as I can to keep it as simple as possible.

At present the Templot 3D printing project is intended for bullhead only. Suggesting that it can be used for flat-bottom just isn't helpful, and likely to be disappointing for anyone using the ordinary affordable home 3D printers. Especially in 2mm scale where you are pushing at the boundaries even for bullhead. As this topic has demonstrated, it really comes into its own in 7mm scale, which is my own modelling interest.

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The last thing I want is to derail John’s excellent thread, but there was no “extreme reporting” of your views. It’s verbatim what you said. You wouldn’t want any progress on “such crude approximations” I made attributed to Templot. That’s cool, it’s your product and therefore your prerogative, and I’m happy not to recommend it. I disliked the moderation on Templot Club too, so it’s not for me. 👍🏼

I did knock up an O gauge B7 quickly to try on my P1 next time I’m in the garage. I know far more about 3D printing than I do about track. But we can all learn from each other…

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, njee20 said:

But they’re not perfect, as you’re getting stringing. There’s chance for optimisation.

Hi Nick,

John is currently using a low-cost Kingroon printer, which is Marlin-based and slow. I have been trying for more than 5 years on 7 different Marlin-based printers to print FDM chairs without stringing, and failed. With endless adjustments to the printer profile and config settings. John's results are just the same.

Suggesting that it is just a matter of optimisation to prevent stringing is misleading, unless you can post a Kingroon printer config which works? Optimisation may indeed work on printers which cost 5 times the cost of the affordable home FDM printers, but that is not an option for most modellers.

However, we do now have the much faster Klipper-based printers at affordable home prices, and these can indeed print FDM chairs without stringing. This was printed on an Elegoo Neptune 4 without any stringing at all, using a printer profile which I have posted on Templot Club. The photo was taken straight off the printer while it was still warm:

cot_track_125-jpg.10860

Which means we now have a way forward for affordable home 3D printing of these integral track bases in 7mm scale. Thanks to John for sharing this good news.

The Elegoo Neptune 4 currently costs around £170 post paid in the UK. There are no doubt other Klipper-based printers in the same price bracket, but I haven't tried them so I can't comment.

regards,

Martin.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, njee20 said:

That’s cool, it’s your product and therefore your prerogative, and I’m happy not to recommend it

Hi Nick,

For the umpteenth time of saying so, Templot is NOT a product. It is simply my hobby. I'm happy to share it with anyone who wants to do so, or not if they don't. But I'm not going to let others define what it is or isn't, or mislead folks about what can be done with it.

At least, not while it has my name on it. We have recently transitioned to a fully open-source version, Templot5, so in future it will be for the project contributors to define what it is or isn't. If you are knowledgeable about 3D printing you would be very welcome to join the project and help us take the 3D printing capabilities forward, see: https://github.com/Martin-Wynne/Templot5

regards,

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Do you know I wrote hobby, but changed it. Semantics. Templot is a product in every conceivable definition of the word, just not your livelihood. You don’t want associating with what I was looking at, so I’ll continue to ensure your name isn’t sullied, no hard feelings.

Anyway, this isn’t particularly constructive. My views on printing haven’t been welcome to date, can’t see that changing, but as ever I wish you well with your hobby and I’m thankful we can enjoy it.

I’ll post a photo when I’ve printed a base on my P1. 

12 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Normally clips are used to join bricks.  Why aren’t you putting clips on the ends of your bricks?

Penrhos

You are correct there is an option to clip bricks together, BUT with most things in Templot how you use it is up to the use. One of the most used claims for not using Templot is its to difficult to use, in a way I am showing how false that statement is.

I have found the 7mm bricks they hold their position perfectly well, plus it shows off the simplicity and versatility of the system, certainly in 4mm scale where two track running paralel to each other can be printed with easy to make (base) joiners which are far more important

I am about to learn how to fit the clips, so you may/will see me using them

12 hours ago, njee20 said:

But they’re not perfect, as you’re getting stringing. There’s chance for optimisation. They’re just the profiles that have been designed. A starting point. Buying a new printer is a blunt force way of getting better prints (admittedly one that will work!). I don’t use Cura, so I’m not using any of the profiles. 

As I said, I posted previously on Templot Club, but Martin disapproved of what I wanted to accomplish (modifying plug track bases for 2mm FB point work) and didn’t want to be associated with it, so I won’t post there. 

Nick

Nick

I read the replies and in my opinion it was not Martin's intention to either disapprove or not be associated with your plans, its just there is just one of Martin and his main goal is to get Templot 5 up and running and complete the program to allow all track formations to be produced in all scales. The focus is in 4mm scale and it is far more important to generate chairs for crossings, slips and 3 ways. Let alone chair styles etc. A few people want FB bases, its something Martin wants but at the moment its chairs that are taking the priority. Flat bottom bases from what I have seem has far more types than bullhead chairs, please go on and design some as it is Plug track has a section waiting for flatbottom rail !!! (I found it yesterday)

As far as other scales (and yes there are others working in 2mm, N, TT, TT120, S, 7 and possibly other scale/gauges) all of whom are benefiting from the work started in 4mm scale. Thankfully there are now several others now working with Martin in Opensource Templot, something way above my ability and rather than being an exclusive club its very inclusive (they put up with me !!!)  All views are welcome and everyone can join in 

Anyway I and hopefully others welcome and appreciate your posts on here, do feel free to share your progress with us

• Like 3

11 hours ago, njee20 said:

The last thing I want is to derail John’s excellent thread, but there was no “extreme reporting” of your views. It’s verbatim what you said. You wouldn’t want any progress on “such crude approximations” I made attributed to Templot. That’s cool, it’s your product and therefore your prerogative, and I’m happy not to recommend it. I disliked the moderation on Templot Club too, so it’s not for me. 👍🏼

I did knock up an O gauge B7 quickly to try on my P1 next time I’m in the garage. I know far more about 3D printing than I do about track. But we can all learn from each other…

Nick

Glad you are having a go with COT track, and I am interested in your views in what can be done to make these lower end printers work better, I do think they have their limits, but accept the possibility of tuning the printers even finer, but I am certain like everything they will will have their own limits.

No doubt in the future printers will become much better and will produce results far better than current models, we are all taking baby steps, do join us

34 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I do like the flat timber tops

Thanks John I am playing with the settings in my slicer software. In the above I increased the detail nudged the elephant foot increased bed heating and did top ironing. I can go for a further increase but waiting on some more filament. Also I do not have any rail either. Mind you the anniversary of my manufacture is coming up soon…….. This was a 45 mins print.

Keith

Edited by KeithHC
Correction

2 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Thanks John I am playing with the settings in my slicer software. In the above I increased the detail nudged the elephant foot increased bed heating and did top ironing. I can go for a further increase but waiting on some more filament. Also I do not have any rail either. Mind you the anniversary of my manufacture is coming up soon…….. This was a 45 mins print.

Keith

Keith might be worth explaining in Templot Club how you achieved the flat timbers as it may help develop in all scales

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Two further cruel closeups.

KeithIMG_2871.jpeg.98962a4f5162f139d624f5bfb0b66c83.jpegIMG_2872.jpeg.b8883d29a81c6ecddbc4df841866b7ca.jpeg

A lot less stringing than I am getting with the Kingroon

I have found that in the last 10 mins of printing its very easy to remove the strings when they are hot/warm. Then once off the printing pad a quick clean up with a sharp blade

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hayfield said:

A lot less stringing than I am getting with the Kingroon

I have found that in the last 10 mins of printing its very easy to remove the strings when they are hot/warm. Then once off the printing pad a quick clean up with a sharp blade

Makes me want to model 0 gauge

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Keith might be worth explaining in Templot Club how you achieved the flat timbers as it may help develop in all scales

Hi John,

It is already set in the profiles I have posted for COT track.

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1

I am using the Pursa slicer software currently. In the future I think a combination of improving firmware and slicer updates will further enhance the printing. My Ender 3 runs on Marlin firmware and I have had this machine for about three years so maybe in a years time I might want to upgrade my machine. As to the surface all I did was ensure as Martin has already done that all top surface ironing was turned on. 

Keith

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

144.jpeg.59109b93ffdfc9a5c8a2fd9dac6b77b0.jpeg

Track bases printed and in position all but the switch rails formed and fitted

146.jpeg.955eafeb0f24d7cb91646ffe36217dce.jpeg

The first of 3 switch rail jigs being printed, this one is for the rail backs and is much the same as a Vee jig, the next two are far more ingenious as they are handed and unlike any others I have tried just as simple to use as the other jigs we use

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

And likewise here on my P1. Actually more stringing than I’d expect still, but it was an old role of filament that’s probably a bit damp! Very viable though. 

IMG_1889.jpeg.ebdcc46c6373ef3e845233b1c0fed5d4.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg.2b01aba77842b996fe3f39b59d1780f9.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

As I have just found a few metres of 7mm track bought when C and L where near Avonmouth. Just had a play using up the last few metres on my filament roll.

Keith.

IMG_2873.jpeg.960e357e699b60d5107c519f1a472bfb.jpegIMG_2874.jpeg.56d523e193a02721d2836c6b95c2559c.jpeg

Going to swallow kgs of ballast but plus side it ain't shifting from alignment 😄 I'm getting itchy fingers...0 gauge wagon repair yard...Dapol 08 hejan 25 a dozen wagons....ouch just gave my self a slap...that's better back to 3mm

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Going to swallow kgs of ballast

It's the same depth as Peco flexible.

Lightweight ballast is granulated cork (available from pet shops as reptile bedding).

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1