Rapido Port of Par Bagnall 0-4-0ST (OO Gauge)

AY Mod

• Moderators

From Rapido's Facebook page...

"This one was dismissed for being too boring.... surely no-one would offer a completely plain black loco...

On the other hand, what WOULD you want to have if there was a fictitious version of the little Bagnall 0-4-0ST?"

image.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=815786917197666&set=a.127611732681858&__cft__[0]=AZXRlg7ePcCe3SDgf80ccZYamO2PBJNZ1nH6iYIAL56FpGjoEVb1TKCUoY3wTCbs6vrh7i20gdXvnfyJPVvLkJcPL9bcOUEoCbfe4E2zC-Z9TwtUZABt2ooxXIhOV4Lc0KcbL3SIu--ymDvILPp4MGFu3wrIbb9tkUOQVOvJ-TSOnOnSvHufk9-UJDY_pZh35ZQ&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

"This one was dismissed for being too boring.... surely no-one would offer a completely plain black loco...

On the other hand, what WOULD you want to have if there was a fictitious version of the little Bagnall 0-4-0ST?"

image.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=815786917197666&set=a.127611732681858&__cft__[0]=AZXRlg7ePcCe3SDgf80ccZYamO2PBJNZ1nH6iYIAL56FpGjoEVb1TKCUoY3wTCbs6vrh7i20gdXvnfyJPVvLkJcPL9bcOUEoCbfe4E2zC-Z9TwtUZABt2ooxXIhOV4Lc0KcbL3SIu--ymDvILPp4MGFu3wrIbb9tkUOQVOvJ-TSOnOnSvHufk9-UJDY_pZh35ZQ&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

In most cases of PO subjects, surely an overall grey undercoat would be popular - enabling purchasers to produce their own bespoke / fictional liveries?

CJI.

• Agree 2

A make shift SCC livery could work although we have Albert.

On the other hand, given how low in height these locos are, maybe they could do a high speed motored and geared version to have a crack at beating Smokey Joe's land speed record....

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, AY Mod said:

image.png

London Underground, Obviously 😁

English China Clays blue

BOC named ‘HELIUM’ ?

R2D2 style livery to follow their Star Trek shuttle in the  US range?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Given the announcement of the blue ncb job, I find myself pondering just how low an arch these little chaps will poke through and how much a feature you could make that.......

Rob

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Given the announcement of the blue ncb job, I find myself pondering just how low an arch these little chaps will poke through and how much a feature you could make that.......

Rob

They look a tad shorter than a 5 plank open, so assuming the loads you are pulling are on low wagons you could probably get away with a very low arch/bridge/opening/etc.

Could make for a very interesting freelance scene 👍

4 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

They look a tad shorter than a 5 plank open, so assuming the loads you are pulling are on low wagons you could probably get away with a very low arch/bridge/opening/etc.

Could make for a very interesting freelance scene 👍

As I posted upthread, the original bridge they used to go under is still there (now used as pedestrian access between the harbour and a car park), so if anyone happens to be down that way they could take a tape measure along and measure it.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/hZEMvjoptJDCBMBQ8

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know...) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagnall_0-4-0ST_"Alfred"_and_"Judy":

"a branch line was taken through an 8 feet (2.4 m) bridge beneath the Cornish Main Line to serve new china clay processing works."

and

"Bagnall designed a locomotive that was only 90 inches (2.3 m) high by dropping the cab floor down between the main frames. 16 ft 6 in (5.03 m) long over headstocks and 7 ft 5 in (2.26 m) wide".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Happy new year all!

Slightly off topic but I think my chances are better in this company:

Might be a long shot. Does anybody have a nice picture of cab details? I am building a larger scale one for a diorama and I am procrastinating over painting and detailing the inside before I can close it up and move on to the exterior paintwork.

Cheers!

Ben

• RMweb Premium
On 01/01/2024 at 05:01, Captain_Mumbles said:

Happy new year all!

Slightly off topic but I think my chances are better in this company:

Might be a long shot. Does anybody have a nice picture of cab details? I am building a larger scale one for a diorama and I am procrastinating over painting and detailing the inside before I can close it up and move on to the exterior paintwork.

Cheers!

Ben

Have sent you a PM.

• Like 1

May I make a suggestion? The existing T/L couplers look ridiculously large on these engines, and other small 0-4-0Ts if we are honest. Why not come up with a compatible smaller version of the coupler that does not look like, as Tim Shackleton once put it, “like a grand piano hanging on the buffer beam”? It might just attract more customers put off by the appearance of the existing one.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

The locos come with a blanking plate for the bufferbeam so people can ditch the kid-e-couplings and shunt like adults.

Which is good to know and well done Rapido for including it. But I’m thinking of the chaps who have shelves full of stock with T/L couplers who could be converted if they saw that bigger isn’t always better as far as couplings go. Sort of a “Here kid, the first one’s on me” and gradually ease them into finer things, if you get my drift…

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

But then there's an iterative R&D process to that as we have to make sure it is compatible with other TL couplings, which has to be paid for in advance because we wouldn't want to release it and then find out customers have issues with coupling to other stock. 

There's also no way of telling exactly how many people would genuinely have bought one if it wasn't for the loco having the standard coupling used in OO. In our experience so far the people who use excuses like that were unlikely to have purchased one anyway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Tension lock couplers are, on the whole, a lot better than they used to be. Pretty much all the manufacturers now use the slimline ones rather than the old-fashioned full-width ones, and it does look a lot better - particularly from the side on. But I don't think there's any solution which ticks all the boxes of being amenable to automated coupling, minimal visual intrusion and robustness. Even Kadees would look odd on a loco that small.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

The locos come with a blanking plate for the bufferbeam so people can ditch the kid-e-couplings and shunt like adults.

I suppose its too late to ask if you could look at doing it as a complete replacement buffer beam rather than a plug that just fills the area where the coupling fits.  Looking at other competitors models where they have taken the approach of having a plug to fill the coupling hole, it always ends up leaving a distinct line around its edge where the two parts meet.)  Whereas a complete replacement unit that screws in (such as the route Hattons used with their Class 66) avoids this completely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I suppose its too late to ask if you could look at doing it as a complete replacement buffer beam rather than a plug that just fills the area where the coupling fits.  Looking at other competitors models where they have taken the approach of having a plug to fill the coupling hole, it always ends up leaving a distinct line around its edge where the two parts meet.)  Whereas a complete replacement unit that screws in (such as the route Hattons used with their Class 66) avoids this completely.

It's not too late to ask because the answer would be the same either way 😉 it's part of the diecast running board.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Agreed. The plugs never look right and always need the gaps to be filled and sanded, which is damn near impossible to do on a buffer beam with lots of rivet detail.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Taking into account the specification, design, capability, and the fact it exists in RTR at all, I think it's pretty cool.

We decided that a blanking plug for the bufferbeam was an acceptable compromise for those who wanted to remove the TLs, and such a component will not add to the assembly or manufacturing cost as it is so minor. Screw-in replaceable diecast bufferbeams* were not.

*they need to be diecast to keep the overall weight up as the cab and tank need to be plastic

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I’m looking forward to playing with one these when they arrive. Thanks to @St Enodoc‘s earlier post regarding cab heights etc, I have an idea now of how small a hole these will fit through. However, can’t beat a mock up using the actual loco and said hole. It comes to something when the potential constraints placed upon dimensions are dictated by the corners of a five plank wagon as opposed to the loco itself !

The pluggy buffer beam thing is an inevitable compromise and one which I can live with. 

Dapol have the same issue with their Hawthorn 0.4.0ST. 

Rob

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

, I have an idea now of how small a hole these will fit through. However, can’t beat a mock up using the actual loco and said hole.

The hole only needs to be too small for the others to go through, if it’s below the dome height on your current smallest loco it’s perfect 🤣