Rapido Port of Par Bagnall 0-4-0ST (OO Gauge)

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, drt7uk said:

Probably a question to which the answer is no, but I'd welcome Rapido selling Alfred I'm light green lined livery on its own and not part of a twin pack. Sure they've got their reasons but...

You just need to find a friend who wants Judy on its own and go halves ;)

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

... or wait and see whether they don't sell very well and Rapido have to repackage them to flog them off !

It's cute little thing, but somehow gives the impression of an Austerity that's been sat on and squashed between two bigger locos

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

... or wait and see whether they don't sell very well and Rapido have to repackage them to flog them off !

It's cute little thing, but somehow gives the impression of an Austerity that's been sat on and squashed between two bigger locos

If they don't sell well, we won't make them, same as any other product of ours - we work on a pre-order model. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

If they don't sell well, we won't make them, same as any other product of ours - we work on a pre-order model. 

One hopes they do. You cannot have too many cwtchy industrial saddle tanks and this is undeniably cwtchy. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

16 hours ago, drt7uk said:

Probably a question to which the answer is no, but I'd welcome Rapido selling Alfred I'm light green lined livery on its own and not part of a twin pack. Sure they've got their reasons but...

16 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

I've got a saw if it helps....

• Funny 2

On 10/11/2023 at 15:43, Ruston said:

I've never seen a photo of the reason for the low height of these engines before but I guess this bridge is it. I've seen photos of them shunting vans, but not any wagons low enough to pass under the bridge. What wagons did they take that fitted under the bridge and what load did they carry?

Having done a bit of research (at this rate, I'm going to end up convincing myself to buy one!), Par Harbour had (and still has, although it's rarely used now) a normal loading gauge connection to the mainline. But, as well as the connection to the outside world, which carried normal harbour traffic in a variety of wagons, it also had a direct connection with the Par China Clay Works the other side of the mainline, accessed via the bridge in the photo. The only connection the works had with the outside world was via the harbour, so all traffic to and from the works had to go under the bridge.

So yes, that bridge is the reason for the height of the locos, because as well as doing normal harbour shunting duties they also needed to be able to make the trip to and from the clay works to bring the clay to the harbour and exchange sidings.

Although the rail connection to the clay works has long gone, the bridge is still there and visible on Google Streetview:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wXZv7SvcjZUutRoT6

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MarkSG said:

Although the rail connection to the clay works has long gone, the bridge is still there and visible on Google Streetview:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wXZv7SvcjZUutRoT6

This should take you to the side by side map to show how it fitted in. 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15.7&lat=50.34574&lon=-4.70565&layers=168&right=BingHyb

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1