Rapido SECR O1 0-6-0 (OO Gauge)

AY Mod

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Will, 

I think a models finish is subjective. Personally, I hope the final finish on these is not gloss. To me, it harks back to the Triang locos I started out with.  I draw on the recent  Metropolitan tanks and suggest that the finish on the O1s will be the same which is fine. 

If I want add a buffed up finish, I like to add it using a resin car polish. Combine this with some subtle weathering and you're onto a winner, as you've done so well on your layout. 

Rob

Yes I can see that. I guess it's all a matter of balance - on the opposite end of the spectrum, the Dapol D class I recently weathered/gloss coated was originally too dull for my liking. Perhaps with most locos this wouldn't matter as much, but when I've seen images of the real locos in period, they're almost a mirror finish. On second inspection the o1s are perhaps a little too shiny, but I'll be happy either way - as you said it's easy enough to add gloss varnish.

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Plus even the glossiest of real paint, viewed from the kind of distance we tend to view models, doesn't look gloss - models finished with a high gloss finish look like they're soaking wet...

Admittedly, in many parts of the U.K., rain is quite plausible. I've actually thought of doing a rainy day layout (complete with adding pools of water, as appropriate, to rolling stock etc.)

However, rainy days also often have thick cloud cover, so lighting is quite diffuse and omnidirectional...

25 minutes ago, Willl said:

Yes I can see that. I guess it's all a matter of balance - on the opposite end of the spectrum, the Dapol D class I recently weathered/gloss coated was originally too dull for my liking. Perhaps with most locos this wouldn't matter as much, but when I've seen images of the real locos in period, they're almost a mirror finish. On second inspection the o1s are perhaps a little too shiny, but I'll be happy either way - as you said it's easy enough to add gloss varnish.

Those multiple layers of polished wax! I've thought of adding a gloss varnish myself. The big issue, I think, is lighting. To get a really realistic outdoor look you'd need a very sophisticated lighting system (instead of using typical indoor lighting). Otherwise, it is easy for the gloss to look 'off'.

The effect that Nick C mentioned - We often look at models from less than a metre away, but actual trains are viewed from several metres away (or sometimes hundreds of metres away, especially in situations where real trains look 'oo gauge' sized), with the result that paint appears a bit duller (slightly more washed out) as a result of having so much air in between the viewer and what is being viewed. I suspect a lot of models have been painted in slightly duller-than-correct liveries to produce this effect.

I can see the merit in use of bright matt paint at the factory, with an ability of the customer to then add a gloss or a dull wash (or both), as per their preference. On the other hand, a heavily varnished locomotive may be hard to adjust.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I must say the Wainwright SE&CR job looks splendid but I'm rather bizarrely drawn to Bramble. Bin the cabside plates and 'Bramble' from the tendersides, combine with Accurascale's P class similarly treated and we have a couple of locos for that little known but somewhat ostentatious light railway. 

That's just the right shade of blue for an outrageously improbably light railway, too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I must say the Wainwright SE&CR job looks splendid but I'm rather bizarrely drawn to Bramble. Bin the cabside plates and 'Bramble' from the tendersides, combine with Accurascale's P class similarly treated and we have a couple of locos for that little known but somewhat ostentatious light railway. 

Damn you, Rapido ! 

Rob

Or you can just leave Bluebell and Bramble on the sides and it would still work as a light railway.  I bet the Bluebell line will end up painting 65 in bluebell because of this (just as a Wrenn Lyme Regis inspired an actual real world repaint).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Or you can just leave Bluebell and Bramble on the sides and it would still work as a light railway.  I bet the Bluebell line will end up painting 65 in bluebell because of this (just as a Wrenn Lyme Regis inspired an actual real world repaint).

Maybe towards the end of its ticket. However given how complex and expensive (if being done professionally) the SECR livery is, the cost of repainting into a complex lined blue and then repainting back into lined green for a period of display might be rather high. If there is any non-SECR repaint, I would have thought Southern or BR livery might be more likely, given photo-charter opportunities and the recreation of something not seen for decades.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/09/2024 at 12:33, JSpencer said:

On 17/09/2024 at 12:44, G-BOAF said:

Maybe towards the end of its ticket. However given how complex and expensive (if being done professionally) the SECR livery is, the cost of repainting into a complex lined blue and then repainting back into lined green for a period of display might be rather high. If there is any non-SECR repaint, I would have thought Southern or BR livery might be more likely, given photo-charter opportunities and the recreation of something not seen for decades.

There have already been hints that the Bluebell would be open to a repaint of no.65 into 'Bramble' at some stage - however it would only happen at the end of its current ticket and would most likely need to be paid for by someone other than the railway.

As things stand, its pretty SECR livery actually quite a valuable marketing tool when it comes to attracting media work (e.g. advertising or TV / film companies) looking for something with a Victorian / Edwardian feel so waiting till the end of the locos current ticket (by which time the H or C will probably be back in service) is better in terms of continuing to get media work.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

so waiting till the end of the locos current ticket (by which time the H or C will probably be back in service) is better in terms of continuing to get media work.

But they you will loose the impressive opportunity for double headed 'large' SECR locos in matching livery in the short period when boiler tickets overlap! There isn't a great time for it at all :-p

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Really looking forward to these! Some SR era O1 hauled goods inspiration here, an ideal train length for my layout 

A pre-war shot of a loose coupled freight train hauled by Wainwright/Stirling 'O1' class 0-6-0 no. 1123. Date and location not known. Mike Morant collection

That's a super little train! All of the big 4 companies represented, and a distinctive private owner.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Martin M1 said:

Has anyone seen when these will be ready? I thought it was this year?

They only just had painted samples for 5 of them. So best guesstimate, the middle of 2025 at the earliest.