Redundant brake van bodies

eastworld

There was a time that it was possible to see redundant box van bodies used as sheds, although they are getting thinner on the ground. However, I don't recall ever seeing brake van bodies used in the same way - was there a reason for this (apart from the fact that there were vastly fewer of them)?

There used to be an AA23 (I think)  Toad used as a byre just north of the A4068 between  Brynamman and Rhosaman. Streetview suggests that it is still there but so far gone as to be more or less unrecognisable. Sad really, when it first came to my attention it was virtually complete with all the internal hardware.

Edited by craneman

1 hour ago, shipbadger said:

The vicarage garden in Newnham, Gloucestershire had an ex-LMS brake van body in the garden.  By the time I was acquanted with it it was almost totally rotted away.  The only thing I salvaged was a lamp bracket.

They make a good summerhouse or workshop with stove

It was mostly the construction of them. Most of the body strength was in the chassis so you needed the chassis as well in most cases.

But, as well as their general usefulness as a brake van, it might be worth considering they were virtually 20 tons of metal with a bit of wood on top. A bit of paraffin to get rid of the wood and the scrapman is very happy.

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

It was mostly the construction of them. Most of the body strength was in the chassis so you needed the chassis as well in most cases.

But, as well as their general usefulness as a brake van, it might be worth considering they were virtually 20 tons of metal with a bit of wood on top. A bit of paraffin to get rid of the wood and the scrapman is very happy.

Jason

From what iv'e seen of scrap brake vans the weight is concrete with brake blocks thrown in it

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stoke West said:

From what iv'e seen of scrap brake vans the weight is concrete with brake blocks thrown in it

It varied over time.

Yes latterly concrete was indeed used but I understand that before WW1 at least scrap metal was used a weights.

35 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

A lot later than that ......... I don't think concrete ballast was used before the LNER vans that BR adopted as a standard. i.e. probably WW2.

Probably WW2 when scrap was needed for the war effort plus loads of free ash mixed with cement a no brainer

• Agree 1