The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Crap Christmas Films

johnofwessex

Have started.

Domestic Facilities Management is watching 'Christmas Express'

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7370936/

Due to a signalling error an Amtrak Train is heading through the snow covered Rockies and ..........

Over Ribblehead Viaduct

I didnt know that Amtrak drivers signed the S&C or that they had any UK Loading Gauge stock.

Its a bit like another one she saw last year where the young woman heading home from New York was on a South West Trains Class 450

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like its in the same league as the "Made for TV" US Christmas films that have been continuously streamed on Great Christmas Movies (Ch52, Freeview) since the beginning of September...

As we get closer to the festive season, Ch5, which "The Christmas Express" is currently on, will have their entire daytime output flooded with such masterpieces!

Bah Humbug!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, johnofwessex said:

59 minutes ago, Hroth said:

"Made for TV" US Christmas films

I see the problem:

image.png.87a127134c1158e6f7fc19fe72cc2e4b.png

They're not "made for TV" - they're made for the "Hallmark Channel" on cable. They don't run anywhere else.

Hallmark is a chain of greeting card stores, with lots of tie-in marketing like their cable channel. They are entirely about selling tat.

There's also the Hallmark Christmas Cruise - if you want an immersive all Christmas all the time, trapped at sea, experience. Aboard you can:

... Join your favorite Hallmark stars* as they discuss bringing the magic of Christmas to life in a Hallmark Channel movie.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I see the problem:

image.png.87a127134c1158e6f7fc19fe72cc2e4b.png

They're not "made for TV" - they're made for the "Hallmark Channel" on cable. They don't run anywhere else.

Hallmark is a chain of greeting card stores, with lots of tie-in marketing like their cable channel. They are entirely about selling tat.

There's also the Hallmark Christmas Cruise - if you want an immersive all Christmas all the time, trapped at sea, experience. Aboard you can:

Good lord....

Thats terrifying!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, 30801 said:

It's not even been Halloween yet!

There are two Hallmark Channels on my cable system:

Hallmark Channel (1 below) and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries (2 below)

The line up (noon - 6:00pm on Sunday) is:

1. Noel Next Door (2022), Christmas Town (2019), Checkin' It Twice (2023)

2. Homegrown Christmas (2018), Chateau Christmas (2020), A Glenbrooke Christmas (2020)

They have 42 new Christmas movies just this year.

I challenge you to look out for "A Merry Scottish Christmas" to look for inaccuracies. (I won't bother.)

The writers' strike is over. One of the big issues of the strike was AI-generated scripts. It is inconceivable to me that 42 movies with essentially the same plot are not written without extensive use of AI.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The writers' strike is over. One of the big issues of the strike was AI-generated scripts. It is inconceivable to me that 42 movies with essentially the same plot are not written without extensive use of AI.

I think AI has more self respect than that.

20 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Have started.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7370936/

Due to a signalling error an Amtrak Train is heading through the snow covered Rockies and ..........

Over Ribblehead Viaduct

I didnt know that Amtrak drivers signed the S&C or that they had any UK Loading Gauge stock.

Its a bit like another one she saw last year where the young woman heading home from New York was on a South West Trains Class 450

I had a laugh at that film whilst searching the wonderful selection of entertainment on offer on the TV in my Aberdeen hotel over the weekend.

There was a certainly a shot of a class 91 on Mk4 stock on there, though the actual US train offerings for some of the views appeared to be ex-BC Rail RDC's which may or may not have had a loco at the front end, though some of the shots looked like models rather than the real thing - and that certainly had what looked like an F unit on the point!.

• RMweb Gold

You should be more charitable, such productions provide essential life support to striving actors and production staff.

And HEY!

It's Christmas!!!!

(Even if they're shooting in July...)

You don't have to watch them...

• Agree 1

The Christmas Channel has arrived in the Didcot household. My Wife loves Christmas.

But Christmas films are as predictable as this year's F1 season.

The scenario is young executive is sent to a failing hotel/shop/family business to take over or shut it down. Young executive meets a single parent/widow/family who own said business and fall for them. Working against a Christmas Eve deadline to shut down the business as blizzard blows in preventing them leaving and concluding the deal. Come Christmas day they tell said business owner they love them and quit their own job thus saving the business. Cookies are usually baked at some point and the tree decorated to the mellow sound track of oboes. Plenty of snow is seen and actors are clad in thick layers of clothing despite it really being mid June when the light and lack of visible breath gives it all away!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 29/10/2023 at 17:44, johnofwessex said:

3.5mm stock is smaller on a 4mm layout, so it's not much bigger than the GWR's loading gauge!😄

1 hour ago, Invicta Informant said:

One to add is the 1964 'classic' Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

Only because it appears on Wikipedia's article of 'List of films considered the worst'.

Brings to mind 'The Christmas Martian' What sticks in my mind is the Martian's use of giant matches to fly. Top message in a children's film.