LNWR Dia. 88 Vans

John B

• RMweb Gold

Another cracking model from Rapido, but one word of caution.

Probably an isolated issue, but one buffer head fell out as I was unboxing mine.

Instantly fixed with a spot of superglue, so no problem, but I could easily have lost it!

Check as you go.

It's currently on the bench having the couplings changed.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 27/10/2023 at 13:26, NZRedBaron said:

I have to admit, I'm curious about just how far spread these vans went; they mentioned being used by the War Department, and then later by the British Army, up until the 1960's, with some vans also ending up in industrial use- could you perhaps imagine the LMS flogging off some of the early diagrams to private/light railways in the 1920's?

Noting British Army railway stock transferred post WW1 and WW2 to other nations, it would not surprise me if some of the diagram 088 wagons ended up with the railways of Belgium, Egypt, France, Italy and ulitmately Israel

Edited by Chris hndrsn
correct grammar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There seems there might be an assembly issue on the rooves of the 945007/8 post'36 versions in that some retailers shew them as white [Rail's ] and some like mine look white in photos but are actually the correct light grey. It could be a camera issue here.

IMG_1047.jpeg.bdc6558ef15d10dccb756cd5fae9447b.jpeg

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

IIRC, LNWR vans had white roofs when built, which then darkened to various shades of "grey" in use. You could emulate that with some thinned black or grey paint.

Deleted post due to misinformation.

Edited by gwrrob
info.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, mine have finally arrived from RoS, exquisite😎

Circa 1980 my first steps into finer scale began when Ratio released six LNWR wagons as plastic kits, damned fine mouldings that even today are hard to beat.

44 years later some comparable LNWR vans turn up, and this time they’re ready-to-run! Take a bow Rapido🫡

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I can understand that people post when they have made or modified a model, so sharing their experience for the possible benefit of others, but why is simply buying something worthy of mention?

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I can understand that people post when they have made or modified a model, so sharing their experience for the possible benefit of others, but why is simply buying something worthy of mention?

Why not nothing wrong with sharing something you have purchased.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Why do some people feel the need post what they are having for lunch on Facebook?  It's attention seeking.  It's just life.

44 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Why not nothing wrong with sharing something you have purchased.

Apart from the fact that most people just think 'so what' - reading that post was a waste of my time.  What is the value in me knowing what you've purchased?  I'm all for people sharing their opinion of a model, or how it can be improved or converted to a different diagram or a source of transfers for renumbering, demonstrating their weathering skills, etc, but 'Look at me, I've just bought something' doesn't really contribute to a body of knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Getting back to the D88.........

Having examined it very carefully against works drawings, utterly fabulous. From the 17 liveried versions created, Rapido have clearly spent serious hours in the research phase developing the vans, making sure each variant is prototypically correct through the LMS and BR periods, with variations captured as far as reasonably practicable within tooling costs. This is most apparent on the cupboard doors which had several variations throughout the vans lifespans. 

There are several video's of them in motion on the LNWR Society Facebook group, they run superbly well.

Superb product and Rapido should be applauded.  

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dungrange said:

Why do some people feel the need post what they are having for lunch on Facebook?  It's attention seeking.  It's just life.

Apart from the fact that most people just think 'so what' - reading that post was a waste of my time.  What is the value in me knowing what you've purchased?  I'm all for people sharing their opinion of a model, or how it can be improved or converted to a different diagram or a source of transfers for renumbering, demonstrating their weathering skills, etc, but 'Look at me, I've just bought something' doesn't really contribute to a body of knowledge.

Fair enough point taken.

Edited by Kevin Johnson

My six LMS examples arrived today from Rapido. Another top notch wagon that helps fill in the pre-grouping scene void we've had for a while. Whatever Rapido looks at next, it can only keep getting better and better! Roll on the Caledonian Railway Dia.67 Vans!!