Wanted - a suggestion for an extractor fan for a spray booth.

As the title says. I did ask something similar (though not worded in the same way) some time back. Basically I've built a spray booth in my garage workhop/layout area, but I have yet to install an extractor fan. I'm led to believe that (and please excuse me if I don't use the correct technical terms) fans which have their motor in the airstream are a definite no-go area, as fumes could be ignited? Or is this a 'elf & safety' issue that is out of proportion? Otherwise a fan blade has to be installed in the extractor outlet, with the motor mounted outside of the airflow?

What is available that is suitable, where can it be found, and at what price?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hibelroad said:

Try one of the main airbrush suppliers ( an internet search will throw up a few)  you definitely need a dedicated unit otherwise there is a fire risk. 

True

Even many commercially available booths have small print somewhere suggesting they are not suitable for solvent based paints...although as with anything its up to the individual modeller to weigh up their appetite for risk - both in terms of probability and impact.

Chris H

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

True

Even many commercially available booths have small print somewhere suggesting they are not suitable for solvent based paints...although as with anything its up to the individual modeller to weigh up their appetite for risk - both in terms of probability and impact.

Chris H

I've been using a fan, intended for cooling a PC, for years.

Note : I accept no responsibility for any adverse consequences experienced by anyone following my example.

CJI.

• Thanks 1

Modern brushless motors do not produce sparks so are safe to use with solvents. Go for the biggest extractor that will fit - the higher the amps the better. Tiny fans are not sufficient. Make sure the booth does not cut off the light - you need to see the paint as it lands.

Ian R

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Modern brushless motors do not produce sparks so are safe to use with solvents. Go for the biggest extractor that will fit - the higher the amps the better. Tiny fans are not sufficient. Make sure the booth does not cut off the light - you need to see the paint as it lands.

Ian R

My DIY booth has a strip light in the roof - protected by a sheet of renewable clear polycarbonate.

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Ok, good tip about the 'brushless' motor; where do I find one? Are these the PC type? I have stripped a fair few PCs over the years. I like the use of the clear cover over an internal light too. I am going to fid an led strip in there.

I bought a folding spray both with lights a few years back I seem to remember it being quite cheap as I had gathered parts to build one including a filter from a mk3 coach aircon system 

Beauty of is it folds away when not being us3d

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, russ p said:

I bought a folding spray both with lights a few years back I seem to remember it being quite cheap as I had gathered parts to build one including a filter from a mk3 coach aircon system 

Beauty of is it folds away when not being us3d

is it solvent friendly? I'd be interested to know.

Chris H

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

is it solvent friendly? I'd be interested to know.

Chris H

I haven't read anything with it to say it isn't.  I've used railmatch aerosols and it was fine 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, russ p said:

I haven't read anything with it to say it isn't.  I've used railmatch aerosols and it was fine 

Its a matter for the individual modeller - I am a weatherer and my paint volumes are very low so I hope risk is also low...

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can't see any reason for a spray booth to contain a brushed motor these days.

The Brushless DC motors are cheap as chips as they are made for the computer industry in vast numbers.

You can get sizes from about 40mm to 150mm or bigger.

• Informative/Useful 1

I use one of those bathroom extractor fans. This stopped working as a bathroom fan because the run-on timer electronics failed. Removing the timer circuitry and wiring the motor directly has allowed it to be repurposed.

A related question - any thoughts about suitable filter material (I use cooker hood stuff)?

• 4 weeks later...