GWR 3 plank wagons appreciation thread

Does anyone know which lots, in addition to osL231 were fitted with fitched underframes (ie wooden underframes with iron cover plates)?

Interestingly - and not very helpfully - the Wagon Stock Books I have seen covering the low numbers of osL231 do not say wood and iron underframes, just wood! Are the entries for nos 34001-34100 different?

Regards

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
Appeasement
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Dana Ashdown said:

Just a possibility, but have you checked the book on the Saltney works? ( I don't have it myself.)

cvr_saltney_400px.jpg.3f0ef02d991f09b8fa2ceeccce37a238.jpg

The lot in question was built at Swindon, if I recall correctly, I’m afraid. Tony’s book is full of useful information on the earlier 1 and 2 plank wagons.

D

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/10/2023 at 14:22, drduncan said:

the Wagon Stock Books I have seen covering the low numbers of osL231 do not say wood and iron underframes, just wood! Are the entries for nos 34001-34100 different?

Duncan,

This is recorded against the Frame Material for 1222 which I believe was the first number used in Lot 231 -

image.png.e8211f7539fb43decc9ef731a0691045.png

The others I do have for that Lot just record Wood! Not entirely sure what the words are "Iron" something "plates"

Atkins mentions OSLot 211 had flitched frames (31401-31600) but don't have that range to check.

Atkins has a photo of 30135 with a flitched solebar, this was a converted broad gauge wagon but agina I don't have that stock bok to check the record and Lot number...

Chris

Edited by Chrisbr
added info
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not a link, but see also fig 4 of Russell's Freight Wagons and Loads in Service on the GWR.

Also, wagon 6117 you linked to pictures of has, I think, bulb section solebars, not flitched. Note the C-section headstocks, and the blocks under the solebars to support the bearing spring shoes.

There is a drawing of a 3-plank wagon in "Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers" 1884 Plate 68, online here: https://archive.org/details/proceedings1884inst/page/n727/mode/2up 

(note the plates are at the back, so you need to scroll through to page 737 of the PDF)

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

16 hours ago, drduncan said:

Feel free to add more links to images of GWR 3 plank wagons!

My only note with this photo is "Wales".

gwr3plank.jpg.a27c93d6062d1e5232045c01109afe54.jpg

Here's a very zoomed crop of a photo of Acton Yard, said to be ca. 1911 in the caption. Put "GW" on your round-ended 3-planker and refer to this photo when they tell you it isn't right:

IMG_20190601_112801967_HDR.jpg.6a76f86caadad5db7cd4edaebdeb6cfd.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Round-ender in the yard at Windsor, 1899, starting at 0:27. There's a better version of this film on BFI, but I can't seem to find it now.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, magmouse said:

There is a drawing of a 3-plank wagon in "Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers" 1884 Plate 68, online here: https://archive.org/details/proceedings1884inst/page/n727/mode/2up 

I had not found this link before and found the whole article about South Wales wagons of considerable interest, since it also refers to some aspects of GWR wagon design. 

I have extracted the relevant pages from the 'Proceedings' and attach them here, since I believe that they may be of interest to others

Mineral Wagons_IME-1884.pdf

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

My only note with this photo is "Wales".

gwr3plank.jpg.a27c93d6062d1e5232045c01109afe54.jpg

Here's a very zoomed crop of a photo of Acton Yard, said to be ca. 1911 in the caption. Put "GW" on your round-ended 3-planker and refer to this photo when they tell you it isn't right:

IMG_20190601_112801967_HDR.jpg.6a76f86caadad5db7cd4edaebdeb6cfd.jpg

And the round ended number looks like ?1534.

D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, drduncan said:

And the round ended number looks like ?1534.

D

Early 3 plankers seem to be mostly listed in the 3xxxx, 4xxxx and 1xxxx ranges.

I would guess 31534 as:

1) listed in Atkins Beard etc as a 3 plank from lot L211

2) looks like a rounded top number

This number is later used by one of the final O11s by 1919.

Will

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• drduncan changed the title to GWR 3 plank wagons appreciation thread
  • RMweb Gold

King's Meadow Yard, some time not long after 1904 (small GWR but also large on extreme left).  Some 3-plankers in the line-up on the right, including a round-ended specimen. We have discussed the photo before here once or twice.

Kingsmeadowyard.jpg.f5a433a1be0887f0e1b6a86059433381.jpg

A much cropped scene from Hemyock, with more mixed liveries. I'm thinking it is a 3-planker on the right? The staff have made sure to park it with the number just behind the bush.

001.jpg.ac7223d8f47bc6ce04ffd5b7a7402d90.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

King's Meadow Yard

YMMV, but the most interesting thing in that photo (to me, today etc) are the road vehicle tracks and the various 'ballasting' levels.

Turning circle on the right and rail crossing (?) on the left to access the rear siding. Good stuff I'd not clocked before, thanks for posting again :)

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

King's Meadow Yard, some time not long after 1904

I noticed the 'forest' of telegraph poles alongside the main lines on the right of the photo - looking not that different from the electrification infrastructure that has sprouted relatively recently 🙂

• Like 3