Ruston 88DS In O, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Interesting. However, as has been said already, I'll hold off for one in Ruston plain green livery. 

What do you mean by Ruston plain green? These are Rustons; they were the Rolls Royce of the industrial shunting world, they weren't any old junk. The standard livery was lined with light green and cream. The pattern on various panels did alter over time but even the late ones were being turned out with lining.

The only completely plain green ones that I know of were wartime production when things such as lining were stopped as an economy measure.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Ruston said:

What do you mean by Ruston plain green? These are Rustons; they were the Rolls Royce of the industrial shunting world, they weren't any old junk. The standard livery was lined with light green and cream. The pattern on various panels did alter over time but even the late ones were being turned out with lining.

The only completely plain green ones that I know of were wartime production when things such as lining were stopped as an economy measure.

That's me told then.......what I meant to say was  'works' green,  a lá Hornby’s  original release of their 48DS...

I should have been more careful with my wording. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

@Accurascale Are you aware that on the pre order page of your webiste, the image with the sound-fitted version of the WMJEA loco is that of the Rowntree loco? I was looking at the pictures, rather than the description, and it took me ages to find the sound-fitted WMJEA one.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Super-Sloth said:

Out of interest, are there any other O gauge locomotives in the pipe line at the moment? 

Alongside our 4mm projects, there are a number of projects ‘in the pipeline’ for 7mm, as there are for 2mm @Super-Sloth Each project has its place on merit and will be fitted into the schedule at the appropriate time. We wouldn’t want to be predictable now, would we?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Redkiterail said:

image.png.961f0ddcca570da997129e7ac1ab64b8.png

Is this a batch two locomotive or a limited edition 

EGB No. 12 is part of the first run, along with the other 8 liveries shown on the website, and all will be available via the trade, as well as direct from us.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Saw the model on Sunday, was inspired and have duly pre-ordered the number 20, the Reading Signal Works shunter.  Never saw it in real life but I'm sure it will make a great shunting loco on a small shelf style layout.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very tempting indeed, and an excellent choice.

Looking at the available models I can see there are several detail variants as on the prototype. Have I got the following list right?

(There are also several variations of 'RH' and 'Ruston' plates and the locations they're mounted, again to suit the prototype.)

1. Square-cornered cab windows, front headlight on the cab front, ballast weights on the solebar:

245033/1947 - Eastern Gas Board - Tottenham No. 12

245034/1947 - Babcock & Wilcox No. P4937

262997/1949 - West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority No. 1

2. Rounded cab windows, front headlight on the bonnet, no ballast weights on the solebar:

(Edit: BR No.20 moved down)

408496/1957 - NEI-Clark Chapman

412427/1957 - Bowaters Northfleet

3. Rounded cab windows, front headlight on the bonnet, ballast weights on the solebar:

338413/1953 - National Coal Board No. 63

408493/1957 - British Rail No. 20 (also has additional lamp brackets)

432477/1959 - British Railways No. 83

441934/1960 - Rowntree Macintosh No. 3

My slight personal frustration is that the prototype I'd want to model is 299100/49, which had square-cornered cab windows, front headlight on the bonnet, and no ballast weights on the solebar.

So I'd need a combination of the cab off the first type and the bonnet and frame of the second type. Maybe I'll wait and see if there are some spare bits to be had? I wonder if the solebar ballast weights come off easily?

On a different tack, someone mentioned the Irish examples, somewhere I have some photos of the one that was abandoned at Fenit many years ago.

Cheers,

Mol

Edited by Mol_PMB
Correction of error in my listing - thanks to CloggyDog for pointing this out
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

Very tempting indeed, and an excellent choice.

Looking at the available models I can see there are several detail variants as on the prototype. Have I got the following list right?

(There are also several variations of 'RH' and 'Ruston' plates and the locations they're mounted, again to suit the prototype.)

2. Rounded cab windows, front headlight on the bonnet, no ballast weights on the solebar:

408493/1957 - British Rail No. 20 (also has additional lamp brackets)

408496/1957 - NEI-Clark Chapman

412427/1957 - Bowaters Northfleet

My slight personal frustration is that the prototype I'd want to model is 299100/49, which had square-cornered cab windows, front headlight on the bonnet, and no ballast weights on the solebar.

So I'd need a combination of the cab off the first type and the bonnet and frame of the second type. Maybe I'll wait and see if there are some spare bits to be had? I wonder if the solebar ballast weights come off easily?

On a different tack, someone mentioned the Irish examples, somewhere I have some photos of the one that was abandoned at Fenit many years ago.

Cheers,

Mol

BR 20 did have the balance weights

https://flic.kr/p/2me5K4J

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Group1.jpg.bbf60cfb8fc3bf2b581459bcb119b768.jpg

Rainbow Rustons - Decorated Samples Of Our First O Loco Are Here!

We first revealed our debut O gauge locomotive at the 2023 GETS show last October, and it certainly raised some eyebrows! 

Accurascale not doing a large mainline diesel? Good heavens!

Indeed! 

The large diesel sector of the O gauge market is very well catered for, and as a small market, the 7mm side is likely to not withstand two companies competing on the same class of loco. It's also quite new to us, so we said we would go small, cater for layouts large and small, from the sidings of the large empires to the fun shunting planks in the spare rooms around the country and go small, cute and colourful.

Our little Ruston 88DS gives us just that.

SKUACC28585.jpg.5001e819d6fc580cf07d020936553757.jpg

We're delighted to say that our first decorated samples have arrived for assessment, with one complete model for further testing, and a collection of fully decorated bodyshells to give you a flavour of what's coming soon!

Group5.jpg.2bd8d22230ce3d9168843ea4c5c47fcd.jpg

As with any product development process, there is a lot to like, and some changes that are required! 

So, what do we like so far?

Tampo and overall body paint colours across all liveries are very pleasing.
Some of the highlights include W.M.J.E.A No.1 with its lining and Ruston crest on the cab sides.

Group3.jpg.e28d63b24e91ed6c2f8c1dd7ac9f6a07.jpg

Our BR Green, and two tone Rowntree Mackintosh lined green and shadowed lettering are also pretty highlights!

SKUACC2850.jpg.b033a17bbc66ad4c26e6a5a5e94aabda.jpg

Sticking with our green theme, the Bowaters Northfleet 88DS in its Opaline Green and running gear in red, which really stands out and looks very striking.

SKUACC2865.jpg.8ff5ade0dd5bb30b57d457eea18c65f1.jpg

The cab interiors are very pleasing, with nice, detailed cab desks. We're also delighted with the weight! They are very, very solid and have a real quality feel to them, with excellent haulage capacity for a locomotive of their size as you will see when we demonstrate them in the coming weeks!

Group4.jpg.67228330d82ace59d2e65c4a808bbe11.jpg

Of course, there are areas we can further improve on and correct too. For instance, the yellow that has been applied across the Wasp Stripes and Warning panels is a bit ‘thin’ on these samples, so the density needs to be increased.

SKUACC2864.jpg.4f2398cffcedf63b05ef6c5d18f3d111.jpg

Masking also needs to be improved, but both these issues are normal at this stage and something we have encountered on our OO locomotives at this stage of the process, being fully corrected on the production models customers receive. 

rustoncab.jpg.3aeaa74f1a819ace5e972d0cda50ef1a.jpg

In places, the excellent fit of the parts has led to that fit being adversely affected by the paint layers; notably on the removable engine panel that covers the PCB which is now too tight and the Donkey Engine panels, which do not sit as flush as they should. Again, this is easily remedied. 

SKUACC2863.jpg.b154df8b6bd20bd9005a705b6025f676.jpg

The glazing panels also suffer from not being cleaned up diligently, which is a common problem on EPs/Deco Samples. Again, this will be corrected for production models. Buffers, Drawhooks and Wheels have not received their chemical blackening, which is normal for this stage, but which does look odd even so. The Panhard Red used on the Tottenham Gas Works 88DS is wrong, but a definitive colour swatch has now been sent, and the red will be adjusted accordingly. 

Group.jpg.c6abfcd8be111498adc6fc12bc8f3579.jpg

Overall, our little rustons are progressing very well indeed through the design process and are bang on schedule. Sound recording for our digital sound fitted models will commence in the coming weeks and we will look forward to bringing you some footage of the finished sound files once we have them prepared. Delivery is anticipated for Q1 2025.

Pre-order your O Gauge Ruston and Hornsby 88DS today via your local retailer, or direct for no money down via our website by clicking here: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/7mm-locomotives

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Hover trains - cool!

Surely in your case it should be a Landspeeder.........

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Surely in your case it should be a Landspeeder.........

These aren’t the drives you’re looking for . . 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• 4 weeks later...

According to the Accurascale website the Ruston 88DS has :-

Wheelbase of 40.54mm, for all vehicles, allowing operation over a minimum radius of 1020mm (2nd radius set-track).

This is an incredibly conservative minimum radius to be using as a design specification or consideration for this type of locomotive. In fact it is equivalent to designing a 4mm version to run on radius 4 set track. With such a short wheelbase it would be able to traverse ridiculously small radius curves, although it would be reduced to doing no more than chasing its tail on them. It would certainly be perfectly be capable of running through the 24" / 600mm radius curves recommended by the G0G for dock areas, industrial, and factory lines, which are a 88DS' natural environment.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, goldfish said:

This is an incredibly conservative minimum radius

You are quite right, it is conservative, but better that way and test downwards, than spec for tight curves and find problems once tooled.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make, but Rich is out filming running videos on layouts featuring the tight, typical curves you speak of, which we’ll share in due course, just to reassure you.

All the best,

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, goldfish said:

According to the Accurascale website the Ruston 88DS has :-

This is an incredibly conservative minimum radius to be using as a design specification or consideration for this type of locomotive. In fact it is equivalent to designing a 4mm version to run on radius 4 set track. With such a short wheelbase it would be able to traverse ridiculously small radius curves, although it would be reduced to doing no more than chasing its tail on them. It would certainly be perfectly be capable of running through the 24" / 600mm radius curves recommended by the G0G for dock areas, industrial, and factory lines, which are a 88DS' natural environment.

It is only a recommended minimum in reality it will certainly go tighter. Bit like the Dapol Terrier though, people will moan about buffer lock on sharper ones, so in reality they use dumb or larger buffers. It’s just avoiding a few returning it because they haven’t seen how the real ones modified locos for exceptionally tight curves in use. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Islesy said:

I am not sure what point you are trying to make, but Rich is out filming running videos on layouts featuring the tight, typical curves you speak of, which we’ll share in due course, just to reassure you.

I was simply pointing out that it is a very conservative design criteria. It is reassuring that you are designing for smaller radius curves, perhaps you should try the 88DS through ETS 627mm radius points, the Dapol Terrier manages surprisingly well. In reality almost any 0-4-0 will run around 2' curves, the problem is getting them to do something useful, and that almost certainly requires the couplings replacing to prevent buffer lock. The Dapol Sentinel Shunter is perfectly at home on 2' radius curves, so the 88DS should be equally at home.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, goldfish said:

the problem is getting them to do something useful, and that almost certainly requires the couplings replacing to prevent buffer lock. The Dapol Sentinel Shunter is perfectly at home on 2' radius curves, so the 88DS should be equally at home.

23 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s just avoiding a few returning it because they haven’t seen how the real ones modified locos for exceptionally tight curves in use. 

Consequence of the modern tendency to want everything and shout about it on the internet if it doesn’t and it wasn’t specifically specified? 🫠

44 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s just avoiding a few returning it because they haven’t seen how the real ones modified locos for exceptionally tight curves in use. 

Would these qualify as exceptionally tight curves?

IMG_0458.JPG.aff6d9ab6d74450f6167a4c213655088.JPG

Not fine scale, but fine scale compatible. The points are 170mm radius, and the wagons can be pushed through the points in all directions. It is just a simple matter of using appropriate couplings. In this case over long swivel, drop links. The track is ETS Tram Track and so has check rails as standard.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1